It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Criminals and cyber bullies to be banned from the web

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+64 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Criminals and cyber bullies to be banned from the web

www.telegraph.co.uk

Criminals who commit offences online and cyber bullies will be banned from the internet as part of the Government’s new cyber security strategy, announced today.

It calls for police and courts to make more use of existing “cyber sanctions” to restrict access to the social networks and instant messaging services in cases of hacking, fraud and online bullying. Sex offenders and those convicted of harrassment or anti-social behaviour also face more internet restrictions under the new strategy.

Similar orders have been imposed on those charged with involvement in a series of cyber att
(visit the link for the full news article)

+63 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I agree with some parts of this law, certain people such as sex offenders shouldn't have internet access. But this part in particular worries me :

"Sex offenders and those convicted of harrassment or anti-social behaviour also face more internet restrictions under the new strategy."

Anything can be considered "anti-social" behavior if you try hard enough. Maybe I'm reading into this too much, but I think this allows them to silence anyone they want. Perhaps speaking out against certain political parties will be considered anti-social, or leaving a cheesy Facebook comment will be enough to get you banned from the internet.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Anti-Social is relative. I agree with you on this aspect. This is just another way to restrict an individuals right to free speech on a medium that is very malleable.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This... Is not real.

I can't believe it.

In a day in age where everything is becoming digital, where more and more citizens are forced to use the internet to compete and survive -
- How perfect a time to say who can and cannot use the internet.

So much for freedom.

Just wait until paper money dissappears.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
That will probably get rid of a huge chunk of ATS posters.

Jokes aside, this is awful and I hate everything.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Cyber bullying? Come on, we live in an era of a bunch wimps... Who will determine what "cyber bullying" is?

"Flaming" and "trolling" is half the fun of the internet.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
"hey, can you google something for me?"

"can't, I'm a felon..."

link   
I will never be nice online, never.

link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Jun 2011 – A United Nations report said Friday that disconnecting people from the internet is a human rights violation and against international law.

www.wired.com...

link   
It doesn't matter if your a sex offender, child rapist, mass murderer, or what ever, you should always have access to the internet. You cant let any restrictions on your personal freedom take place because it will just keep escalating till you have no rights at all.

using ‘cyber-tags’ which are triggered by the offender breaching the conditions that have been put on their internet use, and which will automatically inform the police or probation service," cyber security strategy said.

now what is this cyber-tag technology. I don't understand how it could work, how the government can stop a person from using the internet from any computer. What is going to happen is everyone going to need a cyber-tag to have access to the internet, If so say goodbye to the internet. Anon you better start FSU.
edit on 28-11-2011 by dankety because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
wont do them much good unless they put the offenders someplace with no web access at all.

otherwise theres no way to keep someone from going online.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

I hope this law never comes to Canada because I can be a Jerk sometimes

All jokes aside I kind of saw this coming and I'm actually surprised it's not in full use by now.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Thanks for posting that link, it's very relevant to this discussion

I remember hearing about that earlier this year. Not to talk bad about the UK but in my opinion the constant surveillance in every aspect of your life is a violation of human rights as well. Don't worry my UK friends, I'm sure it's happening here in Canada too it's just my government isn't so open about it.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
just put this into google

girl killed herself because of cyber bullies

and look how many poor kids have killed themselves because of this.
Maybe the parents should have a tighter leash on the Kids I dunno.
But bullying is wrong and if your behind a computer screen it makes it easy to do.
So yes I agree they should be banned from the net and educate the bully's that what they are doing for their own amusement can cause real harm.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
So they're going to take away their cell phones too? They have internet access all over.

Plus so many places have wi-fi, they don't need an account, just a phone or a computer.

I can't see how this could be monitored unless they have a guard walking around with them for the rest of their lives

link   
You cannot stop anyone from accessing the net. They can just use a laptop to access wi-fi connections.

Unless of course we put them in internet free concentration camps out in the middle of nowhere.

link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Just wait until paper money dissappears.

I didn't even think of that... but now that you mention it. If someone is banned from the internet and paper money is no longer available, they may be required to get an RFID chip. Sorry if that is off topic but a light bulb just lit up in my head

Now that I think about it more my RFID chip theory really doesn't make that much sense, please disregard.
edit on 28-11-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
So there won't be any government or banking websites on the net then? Neat.
edit on 28-11-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Sex offenders should be banned for life, they have no rights (in my and other peoples minds), they are scum. However, although I believe bullies/trolls should be banned, there should be a time limit on the ban, and a three strike rule imposed, after the third, life ban unless it can be proved they have changed.

Making another innocent human being suffer to get your kicks should not go unpunished, especially if the victim harms/kills themselves.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by CREAM

I hope this law never comes to Canada because I can be a Jerk sometimes

All jokes aside I kind of saw this coming and I'm actually surprised it's not in full use by now.

I think we all can be "jerks" at times.. I think they mean people who threaten someone or there families.. and use scare tactics like we know where you live.. we can destroy you.. and such...and maliciously try and turn your life upside down.

The man who got upset with his neighbor, and hacked into his facebook account and sent lewd sexual messages to his coworkers comes to mind.. he did more than that.. but the guy who he targeted worked as a lawyer for a law firm, and luckily they believed him..and got a PI to look into it.. the man was sentenced to prison time..

There are too many people with good computer skills..that will think nothing of destroying your computer or worse..with the knowledge they have simply because they get upset with a remark you made.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join