It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

misspelling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

edit on 28-11-2011 by kellerphoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
If you don't want to go through the trouble of opening up a new browser, download Firefox. That's what I use and it automatically has spell check for you for anything you type. It's really handy

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I must agree, ATS is rife with egregious spelling and diction.

I have decided to focus on the content of the posts and disregard the appalling butchery of written language.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Indeed. The root of the problem is television. People don't read anymore. Everyone is glued to the 'idiot box' (including myself at times). I blame the media for this problem.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Some things seem mis-spelled depending on where you live. England and the US spell certain things differently, and Canada is in the middle, some things we spell like England, such as colour, labour, honour, neighbour, etc.

Cheque is ours alone I believe.

I won't even get into the funny way they speak in Eastern Canada, I can't understand them well enough, I'm sure some of their spelling is part Irish.....

Australians probably have their quirks also.

Since the US tried to patent the word "organic", I will now spell it a new way - organique

I haven't come across a Canadian spell check yet, I think that the US, being bigger, expects us to just conform

That's not going to happen.

I've also put in words in posts that I'm quite sure are real words (or should be) and the spell check doesn't give me alternatives.

If I can read it, I'm OK with it.
I have noticed that some of the people that have English as their second or third language, often spell very good, and they type with an accent

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I have trouble typing and writing it's called Dyslexia, I hate having it and I always read whatever I have typed but sometimes I can look at it and see nothing wrong with it until I have re-read it 4 or 6 time's.
That's why I edit alot of my posts

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I too have noticed the appalling lack of ability to spell basic words. My pet peeve is when people spell "loser" as "looser", which the spell check on my Firefox will not alert on. Yes, folks, sometimes English makes no sense, and one cannot rely on sounding things out phonetically when writing. You just have to memorize it.

However, as others have stated, it is important to understand the spirit of what is being said. I try to lead by example. Being petty will only drive people away who need to read more in order to learn proper spelling and punctuation.

Not everybody can spell well (my husband is an abysmal speller, even though he is extremely bright), but everybody has an opinion worth sharing. We should respect that, and be merciful on those who have trouble with the written English language.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kellerphoenix
I try not to complain.....

Well I try not to complain about petty stuff, but how is it that people using a computer can manage to misspell so often?!? Really all you need to do is open a second window and type the word in the search box. I know it isn't a big deal it's just one of those things that gets on my nerves. Another suggestion is just use smaller words, just because you use big words doesn't make you smart. (especially if you misspell them.)

I better not misspell anything that I post.

I understand and appreciate what you have said, my intention was not to offend. Truly I believe that if most people were to slow down and think they would have both better grammar and comments.

Well, [comma] I try not to complain about petty stuff, but how is it that people [third person] using a computer can manage to misspell so often? [Single question mark. More is hyperbole.] Really, [comma] all you [second person. Be consistent and use one or the other] need to do is open up a second window and type the word in the search box. [Sure, if you know it is misspelled.] I know it isn't a big deal. [Period, capital letter or use a semi-colon here] It's just one of those things that gets on my nerves. Another suggestion is just [to] use smaller words. [period, capital letter. That's a marginal sentence, though technically correct.] Just because you [second person. "One uses" would be consistent with your opening sentence.] use big words doesn't make you smart, [comma, no parentheses] especially if you misspell them. [no parentheses]

I understand and appreciate what you have said. [Period and capital letter or semi-colon] My intention was not to offend. Truly, [comma] I believe that if most people were [Good! Many people would use 'was' here, which is incorrect. Conditionals ("if," "whether") take the plural verb, as you correctly used] to slow down and think, [A comma goes here] they would have both better grammar and comments.

As the say on slashdot, "There, fixed that for ya!"

Some people have a problem with spelling; other people have a problem with punctuation and grammar. You do not use punctuation properly and you tend to bounce around between second and third person. Learning to use a semi-colon to tie two independent clauses together might be beneficial to you.
edit on 11/28/2011 by schuyler because: OP added more fodder to edit.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kellerphoenix

Wow I gave you a star teacher.

I am not an English major and have no degree in writing, it was a simple point. I am not going to apologize for my opinion. Are you trying to offend me?

No, I'm trying to correct you. I am not asking you to apologize. I'm not an English major and have no degree in writing either. I do love your kind of post, though. Inevitably, this sort of thing happens. You complain about mistakes yet you make a significant number of them yourself. I just find that deliciously ironic, kind of a "pot calling the kettle black" kind of thing. If you take offense at what I am saying here, then surely you understand that others might take offense at what you are saying. You have already claimed otherwise. How could you then accuse me of doing it? That doesn't seem consistent to me. I'll give you a star and flag for the entertainment value. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I'm not here to entertain you.

join