It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Far Back and Where?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Recently i have been thinking about my family history and decided that i would go through my grandfather who has done extensive research on our family origins. he traced our family back to a small town in scotland to around 1660ish......but how did they get there? did they migrate from somewhere else? did they evolve there? were they placed there by some natural or even supernatural occurance? how much further can i trace my lineage back? will i ever find the answers?

surley im not the only one who feels this way?
edit on 28-11-2011 by Meekbot2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I am just venturing a guess, but I suspect that it would be extremely difficult to trace lineages before a certain point. Mainly because the lack of written records, and this problem is especially prevalent if the ancestor(s) one is searching for did not live in a metropolitan area, or were not nobility, or well-known.

That is my two-cents worth of speculation. It could be possible that someone else has already done work that may help you trace your heritage further, although I do not know how you would find that out for certain. Good luck in your hunting.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Join Ancestry.com. It's well worth the price. And it helped me find ancestors I didn't know about, and couldn't find previously.

Genealogy is time consuming, and takes patience. But if you like history and reading a lot, you may find you enjoy it. ancestry also has a forum. Very useful as well.

Good luck.

join