It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Image doctoring from a major London newspaper

page: 1

join
share:
dom

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 08:50 AM
link   
www.uk.indymedia.org...

"In the background there is a white object (very possibly a turban) that appears three times. In the background exactly the same bent tubular object (possibly an arm in a white shirt) appears twice. In the mid to background section (to the right hand side) a man in a white shirt appears facing the camera, further on to the left the man appears with his head facing the left. This man has been photographed twice, one shortly after the other. "

Again, I'm not saying that I don't think that the Iraqi's are happy to be rid of Saddam, but I don't think this kind of image manipulation is helping the Western side at all...

I've seen video of bigger crowds in Northern Iraq, so why have the Evening Standard doctored this image?

[Edited on 11-4-2003 by dom]

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 08:57 AM
link   
What a display of lazy image manipulation. Surely they could have made a better job than. But why do it?

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Thinking about potential use of image manipulation, it came to my mind that such a business is really dangerous. It could, when effected properly, turn an audience supportive for some kind of law, of military action, mobbing or racism...

In general, i find that image, speech, or document manipulation should be severly reprimanded, and if effective in manipulating an audience into backing a killing for example, should be treated as complicity to that killing.

What do you think ?

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Yeah it really does seems to be doctored...but has any of you watched CNN last couple of days? There have been huge crowds celebrating the fall of the regime...so why edit photographs...really weird. Good catch Dom

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Nothing new here. The Washington Post has already fired one reporter for doctoring images. He took 2 photographs and melded them together on his PC. The first was of a UK marine, the second of an Iraqi civilian with a child. Once melded together he had an image that showed a marine in a threatening posture towards the civilian and child.
The reason why is quite simple. Money. Nobody wants to buy uninteresting war photos. Take a photo of a burning tank and it might sell. But put a few dead bodies around it and you could be on the way to becoming the next Kevin Carter.
Instead of looking to blame the governments concerned for image doctoring, why not look at the much more plausible fact that the media is doing what it always does - bullsh!tting us.
It's far more likely that the photographers who are doctoring these photos are doing it for personal financial gain than for any other reason.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I remember seeing the footage of the actual scene in that pitcure. I don't remember it being that many people, but mostly the guy at the front left. If anyone has taped it, I would be curious because they could confirm for sure if it has been doctored (not that I have much doubt). I am going to keep an eye out, but I dunno what the chances are of seeing it replayed.

top topics

join