It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too white to study medicine

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Oh, and by the way, I am in favor of eliminating the word, "RACISM," from the language books...we do not practice RACISM in regard to our dealings with other ETHNIC groups...if anything, it should be called ETHNICISM...that is really what it is, as we are all part of the HUMAN RACE...we could practice RACISM against CANINE race, FELINE race, etc...but since we are all HUMAN, it is technically impossible to practice racism...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by no special characters
Aside from all that is wrong with this I think that in most of Europe it's illegal to ask for ones skin tone in any application form.

They probably do select in Europe on whatever country you are from.

That's nonsense. I was asked several times earlier in the year what race I was, my sexual orientation, etc.

I actually had to laugh at the ridiculousness of it though. As it said something like "to ensure that as an employer we do not discriminate, please can you tell us x,y,z" - If they truly didn't want to discriminate they wouldn't ask

Just gone and got it(a good job i keep most papers), here it is

Equality Monitoring

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is committed to providing equality of opportunity for all. To deliver a fair service we need to know who our applicants are and any of the answers you give will help us to provide a better service and eliminate discrimination of any kind.

That was from a job posting from a local council... Now, tell me, how are you going to eliminate discrimination by demanding information from applicants that can be used ONLY for discrimination? There is no other reason for knowing my race or sexual preference than to discriminate. That's the only reason you could possibly want the information, to discriminate positively or negatively against me, but whether it's positive or negative it's still discrimination

When I read it I burst into laughter at the absurdity. An anti-discrimination employer asking for details used for discrimination? It's like being beaten up by someone claiming to be a pacifist

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by Agarta
I see no racism. I see someone lied and got caught and when put back into the qualifying process was found to be less qualified than 550 people. That would move her down on the acceptance list in my book, one for qualifications in regards to the better applicants and two for integrity.

You make a valid observation, and I freely admit that I didn't read the story fully and slightly misconstrued the events.

I thought that the woman in question earnt her place on merit, but was denied it because of her race.

However, this doesn't alter the fact that - if she was actually ''coloured'' - she would have been awarded this position in medical school ahead of 550 more qualified people, solely on the basis of her race.

Also, and I could be wrong here, given the story is from a SA website, it could be that black people are also discriminated against in favour of the "coloureds". "coloureds" in SA refers to a specific group, so the claims that she's too white to study are probably wrong, as blacks in SA are a different group to "coloureds" also.

Edit - turns out I am wrong, to a degree atleast.
edit on 28-11-2011 by NadaCambia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by PrimalRed
reply to post by yourmaker

You should learn to speak those languages that is not racism that is business.
edit on 28-11-2011 by PrimalRed because: (no reason given)

thats impossible. and why should I??
I was born and raised here.
I can understand the business aspect. but it's every other business.
and the businesses with english speaking asians or east indians, mostly hire asians or east indians.
and when they do hire someone like me, we get ripped off so badly. (below minimum wage, no last payment)

It is completely racism, if you lived here you would understand.
They are creating their own little communities within our country that is only for the benefit of them.
I sound like some KKK freak but it's serious to me now.
My buddy's friend was murdered by a group of east indians, i've been jumped, they have gang shootings every week or jump someone random. It's a serious serious problem. It needs to be stopped or it will simply escalate like it has.

I will lay some truth on you. it will be hard to understand.
white people here are becoming VERY prejudice towards anyone not white including myself.
I have friends of all races, as I know and trust them to be great individuals.
older generations of the same race are slowly teaching the younger generation the old ways,
the problems reside in our ability to trust them anymore when they have shown time and time again they are not willing to learn our culture. they retain their violent ways from india and bring them here for their children to learn.
it sucks.

edit on 28-11-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

It's funny, in a non funny way. In Britain and most other countries Indians are considered "good" migrants, they generally contribute well, integrate and have a sizable middle class.

For you to say "they retain their violent ways from india", well, I burst out laughing. In most countries the reality is the complete opposite. So you have to wonder why they bring violence to Canada, but not England or New Zealand?

I guess it shows really that race and ethnicity are not the problem, as many racists often argue. Because in any other Western country you will hear nothing but praise for Indian people. Very peaceful, very respectful.

I'm surprised to hear that the Indian community in Vancouver are like that, to be honest with you

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrBlueSky

shhhhh were not sposed to say such things! remember! thats racist! LOL i know how you feel and im in scotland. anyone reading no im not racist. its attitude that bugs me.

Don't talk rubbish, mate. The Indian community in Scotland are upstanding citizens. How the hell can you know what he means?

The problem in Scotland are the Scottish neds.
edit on 28-11-2011 by NadaCambia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

She lied on her application, said she was 'coloured' and not white. So there is the excuse for not taking her.

Think it's a bit strange that they would call specifically to ask about race, that is if they did only ask about that.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
IT IS all about skin colour. S.Africans on ATS just don't bother with issues like this on the forum, for obvious reasons.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
What's the news here, this is an all-too familiar concept too the US atleast... Universities, and employer's are required by law, or regulation too admit a certain percentage of "minority groups" annually in some places this has become adopted too the extreme, setting up school's that are practically segregated with 75 percent of the student body being of 1 race..... I believe this trend in it's foundation was co-created by bleeding-heart caucasian(mostly) individual's and racist radical's around the same time.... Since it's been kinda hijacked and allowed too be steered towards human instinct (imo racism) whereby ppl are voluntarily segregating themselves.

This is bound too lead to loss in race-understanding and tolerance and is setting multi-culturial society up for the re-imagining of the racial superiority complex we see in a many less diversified countries (China,India too an extent, Korea).... This is bad I think, and the corporation's / gov law's pertaining too the minority status in these environment's needs to be revoked with the exeption of allowing total discrimnation (one) individual of the countries minority race... We need to grow up...
edit on 29-11-2011 by Rellentless because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-11-2011 by Rellentless because: punctuation correction

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Didn't you know, white people are allowed to lie and cheat. So says ATS, and ATS is right up there with Stormfront in defending the right to absolute privilege white people deserve.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by Agarta

Didn't you know, white people are allowed to lie and cheat. So says ATS, and ATS is right up there with Stormfront in defending the right to absolute privilege white people deserve.

So equal treatment agnostic of race is now called "absolute white privilege"?

edit on 29/11/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by PrimalRed

You should learn to speak those languages that is not racism that is business.
edit on 28-11-2011 by PrimalRed because: (no reason given)

thats impossible. and why should I??
I was born and raised here.
I can understand the business aspect. but it's every other business.
and the businesses with english speaking asians or east indians, mostly hire asians or east indians.
and when they do hire someone like me, we get ripped off so badly. (below minimum wage, no last payment)

It is completely racism, if you lived here you would understand.
They are creating their own little communities within our country that is only for the benefit of them.
I sound like some KKK freak but it's serious to me now.
My buddy's friend was murdered by a group of east indians, i've been jumped, they have gang shootings every week or jump someone random. It's a serious serious problem. It needs to be stopped or it will simply escalate like it has.

I will lay some truth on you. it will be hard to understand.
white people here are becoming VERY prejudice towards anyone not white including myself.
I have friends of all races, as I know and trust them to be great individuals.
older generations of the same race are slowly teaching the younger generation the old ways,
the problems reside in our ability to trust them anymore when they have shown time and time again they are not willing to learn our culture. they retain their violent ways from india and bring them here for their children to learn.
it sucks.

edit on 28-11-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

It's funny, in a non funny way. In Britain and most other countries Indians are considered "good" migrants, they generally contribute well, integrate and have a sizable middle class.

For you to say "they retain their violent ways from india", well, I burst out laughing. In most countries the reality is the complete opposite. So you have to wonder why they bring violence to Canada, but not England or New Zealand?

I guess it shows really that race and ethnicity are not the problem, as many racists often argue. Because in any other Western country you will hear nothing but praise for Indian people. Very peaceful, very respectful.

I'm surprised to hear that the Indian community in Vancouver are like that, to be honest with you

we have a parade here every year called the vaisahki parade. It's not Vancouver though, it's Surrey.
digitaljournal.com...

What was worse was that these "martyrs" have been labelled terrorists and supporters of terrorism in Canada as well as in India, from where many Sikhs had fled to avoid arrest and imprisonment, settling in Canada as "refugees" from the Indian justice system

my grandpa told me he was at mcdonalds the other day. (waiting for my grandma shopping lol)
an east indian woman and her kid were standing in front of him.
the kid says he has to pee, the mom takes his head and hits it against the counter where you order.
the kid then pees on the floor right there and no one does anything.

the men beat their wives, and the sons start gangs and deal drugs. It is ghetto talk I assure you.

but not all of them are like this. it's a minority for now. I notice it as it's hard not to, progressing.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
The double standards when it comes to race just keeps on getting worse.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Your NEVER to white for anything on this earth, and thats FACT!
edit on 29-11-2011 by Naptown317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
The most ridiculous thing about this is that white people are actually a small minority is South Africa (only 9,2%). This really shows that affirmative action is not about helping minorities at all, otherwise its white people who would be given preferential treatment. Its blatant anti-white racism, majority oppressing the minority.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Naptown317

Yeah.. Apparently this girl was too white for studying medicine..

edit on 29/11/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
This will always be a racial issue. It is because the law makers are prejudice or rather ignorant and all know they is what they have been taught. And that is that white people have had all the good stuff for ever and now its time for the other colours to get their chance.

UCT vice-chancellor Max Price said one of the reasons for the rigid policy was the education system, which is "a mess".
"Most white students who get 80% in matric have been to private schools or attended formerly model C schools and have educated parents who can help them with their homework. They have all those advantages that enable them to do well."

I have been through the same thing applying for a bursary at the South African Air force. After coming in at 8th place and they said they were giving out 10 bursaries, they decided only to choose 5 candidates. The last 5 that qualified were of European decent and first 5 of African decent. But it worked out much better as I didn't need to work for a racist company and waste my life.

I feel sad for the girl , but that the way the cookie crumbles. If you know the state of our hospitals , I don't think anyone would like to work there anyways. The SA government send the candidates to Cuba to go and study.

We have free health care in SA and private health care. Private health care is too pricey for 80% of the country meaning you are stuck with doctors that are not the best of the best. But rather the leftovers that made the quota.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

... to safeguard the integrity and fairness of the process...

This is the nation of South Africa and just perhaps they're trying to balance the effects of Apartheid by educating more native South Africans to enter the medical field as Doctors for their own people ?

In reading the article posted by the OP it clearly states that there were even applicants with better credentials ahead of this individual who was also happened to have been caught in a falsehood in her application which is never a good thing.

Excerpted from the article...

"The decision was taken to safeguard the integrity and fairness of the process in terms of the more than 550 candidates who had not been selected and who, based on merit, were ranked higher." Van der Merwe said Indian candidates, preferably from the Western and Northern Cape and African and coloured candidates from all provinces were selected first.

Peace

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Here in the UK many people have been conditioned to become so ignorant and self-loathing that when faced with a case, or related statistics such as this which we have been, will just say something like "let's face it they are just smarter than us" or "the reason 30% of medical students are Asians and why thousands of British applicants are turned away is because of course British students are lazy and our education standards are low".

What a joke.
edit on 29/11/11 by Morg234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
It disgusting period.

Same thing happens to black people you know.. Why do you think he phoned her to verify her race. Same thing happens when I show up for an interview

Besides.. how reliable is this source? We're just going off something posted on the internet
edit on 29-11-2011 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

... to safeguard the integrity and fairness of the process...

The process is still an example of institucionalised racism. The integrity and fairness in this case means that after racial discrimination is applied, the applicants are otherwise treated fairly.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join