It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biblical contradictions, errors of logic, and just outright false information.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
wow where to start hehehe here's one

God good to all, or just a few?

PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

and another

Which first--beasts or man?

GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

GEN 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

more here www.infidels.org...

let the fight begin

What? You mean there are really two creation stories in Genesis? Are they talking about the same creation?

Ok, I'm kinda mocking you there, sorry....

It's NOT a contradiction, and they are NOT describing the same creation. If you were to actually read the texts, that should become apparent. I'm not going to tell you what Genesis 1 and 2 are, their differences, and what they are in regards to.

I mean, cmon! Genesis 2: 1-9 even state that plants, garden of evil, and animals all came after man...
" In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil."

This is not about the creation of EARTH AND THE UNIVERSE!
If you can't recognize that this is a different chapter than Genesis 1, and that they are NOT describing the same thing, you are a failure in trying to tell other people that there is a contradiction. Just stop, for real... I'm not religious by any means, rather I find many aspects of the texts to be weak minded and ill intend.

Aaaahhhhh! It gets so old trying to explain the composition and meanings behind the texts to people!

Again, Genesis 1 and Genesis 2, NOT DESCRIBING THE SAME CREATION... it's almost as if metaphors are to be taken literally at every moment. It's like, Genesis 1 & 2 are apples and oranges, OMG they are now fruit and not literature!

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Skeptics Annotated Bible website has a very large selection, but it's far more quantity over quality.

Errors of logic, and scientifically or historically false information, I don't have any links on hand. But some Google searches would provide all the examples.

~
I was once given a print out on how all the bible contradictions were not actually contradicting. Not a single one of the contradictions it gave was one I'd ever heard called a contradiction. They cited things that no one claimed were contradictory, and then proved they weren't. Then acted like it proved all the ones that actually are called contradictory weren't either, when they didn't address any of those.

Moral of the story, do some research. Don't just assume they contradict or don't. Listen to both sides, and be aware that some are willing to use deceit to try to make it seem like they aren't(or, from a believers perspective, some are willing to use deceit to prove they are contradictory.)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Philippians 2:6
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Jesus did not teach that he was equal to God...

John 13:16
Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

John 14:28
Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I

One of the errors of Paulianity

edit on 28-11-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxsomexpersonxx

Skeptics Annotated Bible website has a very large selection, but it's far more quantity over quality.

Errors of logic, and scientifically or historically false information, I don't have any links on hand. But some Google searches would provide all the examples.

~
I was once given a print out on how all the bible contradictions were not actually contradicting. Not a single one of the contradictions it gave was one I'd ever heard called a contradiction. They cited things that no one claimed were contradictory, and then proved they weren't. Then acted like it proved all the ones that actually are called contradictory weren't either, when they didn't address any of those.

Moral of the story, do some research. Don't just assume they contradict or don't. Listen to both sides, and be aware that some are willing to use deceit to try to make it seem like they aren't(or, from a believers perspective, some are willing to use deceit to prove they are contradictory.)

What a GREAT video, funny and 100% TRUE!! Its all STRAIGHT outta their little 'divinely inspired' book!!

Any bible thumper who watches that video without cupping their hands over their ears and screaming LA-LA-LA-LA-I-CANT-HEAR-IT-LA-LA-LA, may actually join the RATIONAL THINKERS who KNOW what a pathetic man-made JOKE the fairy tale bible is.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Here's an entire list for you, spanning almost if not the entire bible from beginning to end. Too numerous to post, so here is the link for your review. No opinion, just quotes, verse and chapter.

Biblical Contradictions

This is also from a previous poster's suggestion, mostly the same but in a slightly different format and possibly a little more explanation.

Skeptics Annotated Bible

King
edit on 28-11-2011 by Kingalbrect79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Just a though, but if you added vile or morally repugnant to the Critera, there'd be even another Can of worms for you to examine.

This falls under errors of logic(Evil acts being promoted as good and such), but it'd be it's own category.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to

Thank you all who have provided some. I appreciate the links and the video. I am a Christian but am curious about this topic. Feel free to keep the discussion going, but lets keep it factual with references and no unfair attacks or biased opinion that isn't backable. Let's consider the bible itself a valid source for the sake of argument in this thread too. Should keep the discussion lively and entertaining.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The Sinaiticus Codex one of the 1st printings of the bible which also includes the codex vaticanus has thousands of biggies. If you look it up online they have the codex digitized for your viewing.

In the original The tail end of the Lords prayer isn't in the bible. The kingdom, the power and the glory are yours now and forever.... it's not there.

The entire resurrection story is absent as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join