It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Experience Last Night - Prescence / Sleep Paralysis?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Hi Folks,
I've been debating with myself, whether to post this or not, as I've seen a lot of people getting flamed for posting their own personal experiences, but on balance, it really freaked me out a bit, and I'd appreciate any comments, insight and discussion of this, and any similar incidents, in order that I might better understand what's happened.

OK, here goes...

Last night I was sleeping in my bed, next to my wife, when I suddenly woke up.
I was bolt upright, staring over towards the bedroom door *(which leads to the 1st floor landing of our 3 bedroom semi-detached house). The door was open very slightly (as is usual), and the dim light of the downstairs wall-lamp was visible around it's edges.
I think that I'd heard a noise of some kind, because I was really scared, the hairs on the back of my neck were up, and I found myself shaking my wife's shoulder and saying "did you hear that?"
At the exact same time, she said "I was trying to get your attention.... I heard something..."

I have no idea what happened next, other than my body had changed position, and my eyes were now closed.
I was still in the process of shaking my wife's shoulder (it seemed like an instant after our brief exchange of words) but I was now lying down, and my hand wasn't anywhere near my wife's shoulder, it was raised up behind my head, and I was pushing the back of my head as if it was her shoulder! (Really weird experience)

I was still really scared, because it "felt" like something was REALLY wrong, and I couldn't understand how I was now instantly in this different position, but I managed to open my eyes and saw that the light around our bedroom door was now a VERY VERY bright blue-ish white light. Very strong and artificial looking, like the really big (halogen?) lamps that they use to illuminate building sites at night?
I was absolutely petrified by this, and found that I couldn't move at all. Paralysed with fear? Sleep Paralysis?
I don't know.
After what seemed like just s few seconds? the light dimmed back to it's normal levels around the door, and the paralysis faded.

I immediately looked towards my wife, to see if she was ok, and whether she'd seen anything, but she was fast asleep.

I just sat, thinking.... wtf?

I wanted to go and see if there was any sign of anything having happened, but I was still really shaken up, and decided that whatever it was had passed now anyway.

I checked the clock now, and it was 12:14am (GMT).

I drifted back to sleep, and awoke as normal this morning.

My wife doesn't remember anything unusual happening during the night, and doesn't even remember sitting up and saying that she'd heard something...

So, did I dream it? (I'm not prone to having dreams that feel so "real")
Was it an episode of sleep paralysis? (I've had something similar happen once before, but in another location)
or does it sound like something else?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

GTD

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

Paralyzed by fear is a possibility, but if it was sleep paralysis, then it is one step closer to OBE (out of body experience) or lucid dreaming. I think you are onto something here brother because we all know everything has its own reason.

The way I do see it is that you may fear what is called the unknown. Fear of the unknown is very common but the experience is such a great eye opener. My take would be that you started experiencing your spirituality. Did it happened to you in the past ?

If no, then it is the right time to begin. Instead of having fear, which is a normal defense mechanism of the human brain, live your experiences fully, embrace it, because it is a called to personal growth and in your case, it concerns spirituality, wonderful I say.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Interesting. . . . a few nights ago something very similar happened to me. I've told a few people but always the same response, wierd dream.
I know I was'nt dreaming. A good friend of mine also suggested that I may have had a small glipse into the astral plain as the other poster mentioned.
I clearly remember moving so no sleep paralysis. Once I got over the WTF moment, I was glad it had happened, nothing since though.
What confuses me more is not what I saw but why I saw what I did. In a nutshell.. I woke up needing a pee, spent about 10 minutes convincing myself to open my eyes and get up. I was next to my boyfriend nearest the door. There is just empty space between me and the wall where the door is but leaning against the wall is a huge mirror approx 7ft by 4ft. No lights on in the room but the usual streetlight was on outside. When I opened my eyes there was a man with his back to me shadow boxing his reflection in the mirror. I watched him for ages before reaching behind me and grabbing BF's arm. He did'nt wake up so eventually I turned to face him and shook him awake. Of course the boxer was gone when I turned around.
I have no interest in boxing at all so how come?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by thruthseek3r

Thanks for that truthseek3r, It's nice to hear a positive spin on the experience!

I have only had one episode of something which may have been sleep paralysis before, and it was several years ago, at our holiday place.
(Woke up alone in the early hours of the morning, felt terrified - knew something was wrong, couldn't move, felt an ominous and heavy "presence" in the hallway outside the bedroom, felt it enter the room through the closed door and drift across the foot of the bed, got a very "evil" feeling from it, it left through the closed bedroom window (which faces sideways onto the entrance to an old church), the mood lifted immediately, as did the paralysis, and no sign of anything untoward when I got up...)

I KNEW it was an "evil" presence or spirit at the time, it was soooo real. But I have heard a little about sleep paralysis since then, and it might fit into that category. I don't know.

I don't think the two experiences are necessarily connected.

The trouble I have is that these two experiences just seem so real. Not like "normal" dreams.

I definitely felt that I was wide awake on both occasions, maybe the step towards "lucid" dreaming makes more sense as it contains elements of both being awake and dreaming?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by daydoesez

Hi daydoesez,
wow, that sounds even scarier to me than what I experienced!
I have no idea what I'd have done in your position.

It looks like a similar thing - we both felt fully awake at the time?

The "boxer" must surely have been aware of your surroundings if he was shadow-boxing in the mirror?
That's interesting too.

Wonder if you startled him by moving to wake the b/f?

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing!

GTD

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

A visitation of the not-so-positive kind.

What you remember is probably not all that happened.

These experiences seem to happen between the threshold of the "waking" state and the "dreaming". Or in other words, if it makes any sense, between the space/time and time/space sides of reality.

More and more people seem to have these "strange" experiences lately. And they will keep on growing in frequency and intensity as months/years pass by.

Other than that, I really cannot say any more concerning your particular experience.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
thanks for posting your experience, you are not alone! I've experienced sleep paralysis on and off for pretty much my whole life. it's definitely not something, at least in my eyes, that one can write off as explainable by brain chemistry and the like.

in my most recent encounter, about 3 months ago, i woke up paralyzed and felt the presence of an 'other' being. whatever it was, it was clear that it wanted to screw with me. i then felt the sensation of being levitated off my bed and literally SPUN around over and over again in mid-air lol! i know, not very funny, but it happened, and it's not fun.

as much as it sounds like a religous cop-out, and trust me i'm far from the type, it helps to think of or say in your mind GOD and/or JESUS. just repeat it and the demon/jinn/alien/gnome or whatever will usualy go away. i've had success with that technique numerous times.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Do you know what ( I seem to be having some Epic blonde moments recently) I had'nt even thought of that.
You're right, he was actually using my mirror.
Thankfully he never turned round and the shadow/angle was all wrong for me to be able to see his reflection.

Am just curious to know Gordi, When you are actually having your usual run of the mill dream, do you find that you can get the same kind of scared that you did during your 2 encounters?
I have had some really scary dreams of course but it does'nt feel the same. You know deep down that you are protected and at a distance from real danger. Do you find that?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
You know in your heart what happened. You don't need confirmation from a bunch of people who weren't and couldn't have been there. What I will tell you is that something is very wrong right now and for the first time, I feel concerned. Until now I've been happy enough to go along trusting that things are okay. Now I'm not so very certain. I have questions nagging at the not-so-very back of my mind.

Trust yourself first. Never doubt your feelings. Never doubt your instincts. Never doubt your memories.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by daydoesez

...Am just curious to know Gordi, When you are actually having your usual run of the mill dream, do you find that you can get the same kind of scared that you did during your 2 encounters?
I have had some really scary dreams of course but it does'nt feel the same. You know deep down that you are protected and at a distance from real danger. Do you find that?

Hi day... no, I've never had a run of the mill dream or nightmare that felt anywhere near so real or scary as these 2 and yes, it is just like you know deep down that you're usually safe, this was definitely different, much more real.

GTD

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Hi Cosmic, thanks for the reply.

I do actually consider myself to be quite instinctive, I get very strong (and usually very accurate) gut instincts about people/situations.

My instincts tell me that this experience was very real, and that it was scary.
It felt like I was woken up by something, and then paralysed.
I feel like there was some kind of presence that shouldn't have been there.
I lost some time, because I couldn't have physically changed positions instantly like my memory is telling me.
I saw a very bright light around the door, which faded back to normal, before I was able to move again.

I know that it does sound like one of the classic visitation/abduction stories that we've all heard of before (bright light, lost time/memories etc)

But I am also a very logical person, and my logical side is looking for an answer that is easier to swallow.
I have to consider all of the possibilities, including simply dreaming a very realistic nightmare! Sleep paralysis, lucid dreams etc.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to respond. I really do appreciate it.

GTD

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
So uh yeah.....That was disturbing...

Probably because it sounds so familiar. It's cool that you didn't just come on here and start jumping to conclusions about your event, That's pretty refreshing.

I am still analyzing what you wrote, thinking it over. I have had an event very similar once or twice before but want to see some more comments before I comment further. There are some interesting views here.

This is a decent ATS thread..Star and flag...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gordi The Drummer

Thanks for that truthseek3r, It's nice to hear a positive spin on the experience!

I have only had one episode of something which may have been sleep paralysis before, and it was several years ago, at our holiday place.
(Woke up alone in the early hours of the morning, felt terrified - knew something was wrong, couldn't move, felt an ominous and heavy "presence" in the hallway outside the bedroom, felt it enter the room through the closed door and drift across the foot of the bed, got a very "evil" feeling from it, it left through the closed bedroom window (which faces sideways onto the entrance to an old church), the mood lifted immediately, as did the paralysis, and no sign of anything untoward when I got up...)

I KNEW it was an "evil" presence or spirit at the time, it was soooo real. But I have heard a little about sleep paralysis since then, and it might fit into that category. I don't know.

I don't think the two experiences are necessarily connected.

The trouble I have is that these two experiences just seem so real. Not like "normal" dreams.

I definitely felt that I was wide awake on both occasions, maybe the step towards "lucid" dreaming makes more sense as it contains elements of both being awake and dreaming?

Happy to hear it seems to give you some insight about your experience, knowing more about yourself is what is the ultimate objective from these experiences in my honest opinion.

With that being said, fear can be considered as an "evil" emotion, but remember the famous two sides of the coin or the Yin and Yang. Maybe the very fact that it was "evil" is the way you perceived it at "that very moment".

My thought is that it served you well and opened you a new door in order to get access to new understandings which were maybe considered as not possible. Ain't it ?

Do not take my words as absolute truth though (not to talk about a previous post lol), but instead take it with a grain of salt. Take what suits you the best because when you truly think about it, it is your life, your experience, and you know that experience can be painful, but so good for the development of ones self.

I suggest that instead of looking only at the situation as being parts, look at it as a whole, and what should be learned from it, this is just an experience after all.

So I wish you good luck on your path and listen to your hearth (your true inner feeling about the situation) and do not let fear bring you away from the positive an experience can bring you indeed brother

Thruthseek3r

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I read one of the replies here that suggested you trust what you know. I feel you have idea's of what is happening but are not putting it all out there, which is what we, my wife and I do all the time, evade the truth.

I will relate an event that happened this summer, but will lay it out there, very similar to yours in many ways. I went to be a half hour before my wife, fell into sleep and was awakened when she came to bed. I told her good night, but now was awake and so did a few meditative count downs to get back into the mood of sleeping.

After a two counts of ten, she started to babble about not wanting to go with them that night without me. She tells me we always go together, but tonight they want just her, alone and this scares her, she wants me along but they said no and they are still here, waiting. I wondered how the hell she came up with all this and was so out of it, as we just said good night less than two minutes before, but then I noticed the clock, almost an hour had elapsed, we had lost an hour.

The conversation went on, and she related details of the short ones working for the tall ones and that we are often taken together and the short ones were the same as she and her sister knew as children, she loved them but they would not let the girls touch them. In the end she demanded I get out of bed and write all she said down for she knew that often, her memories were wiped and I have witnessed this as well.

There is more, but you get the picture.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Sometimes i'm sleeping and sometimes i'm just doing something around the house and I get an overwhelming feeling that someone is there . I don't see , hear , or smell anything . "It" has never attempted to harm or communicate with me , yet I know it's there and it knows i'm aware of it. I've learned to just think to myself "Behave or leave" . It's a very unsettling thought this thing can show up at will and it can see me and I can not see it or know it's intentions but I have learned to stand my ground and fall asleep.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I may be able to help. I used to have crazy paralysis experiences like this. I would be about to fall asleep. One of the times i felt evil all over me and i heard screaming i tried to stop whatever it was by screaming myself but nothing came out and i couldn't move or talk. Another time i felt the same thing only heard weird laughter. The next time i saw in my minds eye a man with his arm around my neck. I felt like i couldn't breath. My mom helped me through one by praying to angels. Ultimately though it didn't stop until i got with my husband then it just went away! my philosophy teacher told me that it was a demon. That is was attached to me. she said that i needed to become a born again christian this may work for you but i'm not religious so it didn't do me any good.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Wise words indeed truthseek3r.
Thank you very much.

I am a great believer in the philosophy that whatever we experience in our lives helps to shape the rest of our life, and if we don't stay open to new (even scary) experiences, then we won't grow.
Not to mention - That which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!!

SO, many thanks again. I'll take it all on board.

GTD

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by sailormon

.......There is more, but you get the picture.

Hi sailormon,

Indeed I do.

Your wife's experiences do sound very disconcerting, and I fully understand and appreciate why you're mentioning them here. There are some striking similarities in the two experiences, but from my own perspective, I can either jump to the obvious conclusion about what happened to me, or I can step back and analyse what happened - exploring all of the possibilities in the process, and my logical side is guiding me to the latter option at the moment.

I am aware of the possibility that my experience could mirror that of your wife, but am not happy at all about immediately jumping to that conclusion, without any further evidence, and without exploring the other options available to me.

Thank you for adding your thoughts here, every single opinion and experience is adding to my understanding of this.

regards,
GTD

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elisha03011972
Sometimes i'm sleeping and sometimes i'm just doing something around the house and I get an overwhelming feeling that someone is there . I don't see , hear , or smell anything . "It" has never attempted to harm or communicate with me , yet I know it's there and it knows i'm aware of it. I've learned to just think to myself "Behave or leave" . It's a very unsettling thought this thing can show up at will and it can see me and I can not see it or know it's intentions but I have learned to stand my ground and fall asleep.

Hi Elisha,

I like the positive way that you're thinking about your "presence". "Behave or Leave!" brilliant.
I'm actually still trying to fathom out whether I do have a presence, or something else, to deal with, or whether it's just dreams/nightmares, lucid dreaming etc
Hey, at least I am open to investigating all the possibilities!

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

GTD

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ashes1221
I may be able to help. I used to have crazy paralysis experiences like this. I would be about to fall asleep. One of the times i felt evil all over me and i heard screaming i tried to stop whatever it was by screaming myself but nothing came out and i couldn't move or talk. Another time i felt the same thing only heard weird laughter. The next time i saw in my minds eye a man with his arm around my neck. I felt like i couldn't breath. My mom helped me through one by praying to angels. Ultimately though it didn't stop until i got with my husband then it just went away! my philosophy teacher told me that it was a demon. That is was attached to me. she said that i needed to become a born again christian this may work for you but i'm not religious so it didn't do me any good.

Hi Ashes,

Thank you so much for your comments, the experiences that you've had do sound very scary/disturbing to me.

I feel that the best way of dealing with these things depends heavily upon your own beliefs.
God and his Angels will definitely help to repel a Demon, if you believe in God/Angels/Demons.
A good baseball bat will help to repel a burglar!
Garlic for a Vampire?

My problem is that;
a) I'm not religious.
b) I'm not at all sure exactly what I'm dealing with here.

I didn't feel that my experience had anything "demonic" about it, but that's probably down to my own perspective based on my own beliefs.
I have previously perceived an "evil" presence, but am not entirely sure what it was!

Thanks again, for taking the trouble to help,

GTD

top topics

<<   2 >>

join