It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

? about # 18 of the new guidlines & Terms policy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

18.) By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyright privileges to the material you post and you grant me non-exclusive rights to publish your posts in digital form, hard copy, book, magazine or other publishing medium in perpetuity. I and the staff of AboveTopSecret.com have the authority to decide to display your postings or not, at our discretion.

Does the above mean that by posting a copy written song, lyrics, poem, on this site, you are releasing terms to, bindings and the legal rights to that copy that protect it as yours (mine), to this site/owner?

[edit on 9/5/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
It means that what you post here, Simon has the right to use elsewhere. What you post is still your material but when you hit the post button, you grant Simon "non-exclusive" rights. A perfect example is using the posts in Forum-1 (news) of abovetopsecret.com also on atsnn.com.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
That ofcourse only applies to items posted after 4 September 2004? Or is this intended to be retrospective in nature?

[edit on 5-9-2004 by Mynaeris]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Gotcha......Thanks

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
That ofcourse only applies to items posted after 4 September 2004? Or is this intended to be retrospective in nature?

That's been there all along. It's not a new addition to the T&C.

Hope that helps answer your question.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   

That's been there all along. It's not a new addition to the T&C.

Hope that helps answer your question.

What was the new addition 2 the T&C?
Does anybody know?

[Edited on 6-9-2004 by switchblade]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Smaller characters invisible to the naked eye.

(j/k)

to publish your posts in digital form, hard copy, book, magazine or other publishing medium in perpetuity

Why is that? So if a members really makes a great find, you can make money selling books and magazine about it?

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Aslong as SimonGray doesnt use my poems and cheat me out of money, ill be fine

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I might not get the whole utility behind this, but it just sound weird.

Technicly, they could just print out the Fiction Stories (or anything for that matter) written by members here, and sell them as books or small stories?

[Edited on 6-9-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid Technicly, they could just print out the Fiction Stories written by members here, and sell them as books or small stories?
In reality... that is what we're doing under this domain... just not reprinted. That aspect of the T&C has been there for a long time, the new additions are the game rules. With any discussion board or collaborative online venture such as this, what it comes down to is -- do you trust the ethics of those who manage it? While our T&C does state we have non-exclusive rights to republish what members post, such relinquishment of your exclusivity is inherent in posting to discussion boards anyway . We're just being completely straightforward by stating it clearly and up-front. This way, you are forewarned about this, so that you can decide what you want to post and what you don't want to post. And I hope we demonstrated a high degree of ethical intent in the way things are managed here. The need for the "nonexclusive rights" statement was required as we began developing alternative domains (atsnn.com, belowtopsecret.com, terroranalysis.com, campaign2004issues.com) that would potentially display the content you post to abovetopsecret.com. And the one occasion where we did discuss the possibility of publishing a book, we made it clear that all profits would be going to a major international charity or nonprofit (a literacy advocacy such as www.proliteracy.org... was among the prime candidates), not the pockets of individuals. I hope that helps explain that aspect of the T&C.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
With any discussion board or collaborative online venture such as this, what it comes down to is -- do you trust the ethics of those who manage it?

Well, i do

BTW SkepticOverlord, thank you for the FSME status

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Well, i do

BTW SkepticOverlord, thank you for the FSME status

BTW infinite...

CONGRATZ on your FSME status

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by m0rbid
Technicly, they could just print out the Fiction Stories written by members here, and sell them as books or small stories?

In reality... that is what we're doing under this domain... just not reprinted.

That aspect of the T&C has been there for a long time, the new additions are the game rules.

With any discussion board or collaborative online venture such as this, what it comes down to is -- do you trust the ethics of those who manage it?

While our T&C does state we have non-exclusive rights to republish what members post, such relinquishment of your exclusivity is inherent in posting to discussion boards anyway . We're just being completely straightforward by stating it clearly and up-front. This way, you are forewarned about this, so that you can decide what you want to post and what you don't want to post.

And I hope we demonstrated a high degree of ethical intent in the way things are managed here. The need for the "nonexclusive rights" statement was required as we began developing alternative domains (atsnn.com, belowtopsecret.com, terroranalysis.com, campaign2004issues.com) that would potentially display the content you post to abovetopsecret.com. And the one occasion where we did discuss the possibility of publishing a book, we made it clear that all profits would be going to a major international charity or nonprofit (a literacy advocacy such as www.proliteracy.org... was among the prime candidates), not the pockets of individuals.

And what if a member expresses extreme displeasure at having things reproduced and asks you politely not to?

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling And what if a member expresses extreme displeasure at having things reproduced and asks you politely not to?
While the book idea has been shelved (no pun intended
) for now, our plan was to make attempts to contact all members who would have material in the book and notify them of our intent... provided a chance to let us know of any "extreme displeasure" over having their material in a publication designed to provided funding for iliteracy charities.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I'd just like to say something.

The only time staff have used this particular condition was to protect the work of members not to exploit it.

Older members might remember an incident where work including fiction was plagiarised onto another board.We were able to get that board to pull that material quickly.

All involved members were very happy that we were able to protect their material then but we were only able to do so because of Simon's "rights".

Members own their own material Simon just has rights to it as far as I can see and the only occasion these rights have been exercised was to protect the members's ownership of their own material.

top topics

join