It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disinfo!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I dont post much on this site, infact this is only my second thread my other being a story
but I do enjoy reading some of the stuff on here and have been for a while now.

What I dont get though, is people who instantly dismiss logic and reasonable thinking as DISINFO, OMG GOVERNMENT AGENT!!!

Why on a site where people are claiming to look for the truth is this allowed to happen??

90% of the time (rough number, please dont call me a spy) the logic totally outweighs the theory. I understand we all love a good conspiracy, but how can you claim to be seeking the truth when you wont accept the truth when it is handed to you on a plate?

Where is the logic for calling someone over the internet a government spy/disinfo agent?? Where is this conclusion coming from? Is it just because you know you no longer have a leg to stand on? Do you really think an fbi agent would sit trawling through the internet looking for conspiracy theories? The internet has a LOT of them, so if they are then we're gonna need a bigger police force.

Just for the record, call me crazy but here in the UK I honestly believe we are all being prepared for something different, just a hunch but going with some recent tv shows and adverts there has been a lot of stuff in there that we dont normally see much of. That being said however if someone comes up with a logical, reasonable explanation as to why this is I will gladly hear them out and if they are right, so be it. Everyone is wrong once in a while afterall, life (as we know it) goes on. I wont however instantly dismiss a complete stranger as a DISINFO AGENT!!! *plays creepy music*

DISCUSS!
edit on 11/28/2011 by Mirthful Me because: All Caps Title.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by fairguy

Being a disinfo agent isn't too bad.
The hours are good and there's a dental plan.

Seriously? On a conspracy site, anytime Occam's Razor is used, that usually comes up.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Pretty sad eh? We're all here for the same thing but I guess some people are just one track minded.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Its a cop out argument people use when they have nothing else.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Mcupobob

Pretty much what I thought
There is such a thing as being a good loser
and they dont scream DISINFO!!!

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by fairguy

Seriously? On a conspracy site, anytime Occam's Razor is used, that usually comes up.

Logic has its place, but "logic" is really dependent upon what one believes. So it is logical to believe what one wants to believe, and that becomes a strong wall of denial for anything that would tend to creep over that wall.. Take the topic of UFOs, for example. In the not too distant past it was "logical" for scientists and lay people to dismiss UFOs because "logic" --but no substantial fact other than blind belief--said that we were alone or that argument would be twisted as Sagan would do and use Occum's Razor to "prove" that UFOs couldn't get here even if they were out there. Part of his logic was the limitations on the speed of light, etc.

Guess what, over the decades that whole mindset of logic has been changing, actually, is being turned on its head. What was ill-logical is now much talked about in a dozen different contexts, especially in the logical, scientific displines. If you stop to think about it, it never was logical to believe that humans were alone in the Universe. There was and never will be evidence to support that contention, only sheer belief.

If I say, as I do, that I underwent an abduction experience, by what standards except what you (and others) personally want to believe can you reject what I say? You can't. And you can only do so if you have a substantial backing of folks, professional, governmental and private that support your ill-founded argument. That is why redicule is so important to use in arguments based on logical.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by fairguy

If I say, as I do, that I underwent an abduction experience, by what standards except what you (and others) personally want to believe can you reject what I say? You can't.

I cant, and I dont. I would ask for some feasible truth on the matter
Just to clear it up I am what you'd call a "believer" but I can also understand (my own?) logic. Share about your experience please if you can

edit on 28-11-2011 by fairguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
sometimes FairGuy it's actually true. I look for a reasonable explaination first, but I've seen the same folks run from forum, to forum slamming peoples stories. With some googling skills they are easily identified, but it does happen.
Go over to the jref forum...those people actually plan harassment of witnesses.
Just saying.....

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I don't disagree with your points OP. I think it is an over used term here on ATS. However, I think it definitely depends on what the subject matter is. There are some topics online that seem to guarded by "disinfo" agents.

It's not just paranoia that make people think this way.-It has practically been admitted that the Government hires people and agencies to argue against Conspiracy Theories on the internet.

Read this article

Top Obama Czar .."Infiltrate all conspiracy theorists"

Continued Sunstein: "We suggest a distinctive tactic for breaking up the hard core of extremists who supply conspiracy theories: cognitive infiltration of extremist groups, whereby government agents or their allies (acting either virtually or in real space, and either openly or anonymously) will undermine the crippled epistemology of believers by planting doubts about the theories and stylized facts that circulate within such groups, thereby introducing beneficial cognitive diversity."

Sunstein said government agents "might enter chat rooms, online social networks, or even real-space groups and attempt to undermine percolating conspiracy theories by raising doubts about their factual premises, causal logic or implications for political action."

Sunstein defined a conspiracy theory as "an effort to explain some event or practice by reference to the machinations of powerful people, who have also managed to conceal their role."

Now check out the PDF

Conspiracy Theories *Cass R. Sunstein* Adrian Vermeule

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Dental plan?

How'd you swing that? I only got two weeks paid!

Scewed again

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MathiasAndrew

I'm not saying it cant, or even doesnt happen. Just nowhere NEAR as much as people claim, not even close.

new topics

top topics

join