It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mothman Still Lives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This is a rather recent occurance, proof the Mothman is still alive.

A friend of mine who will be called "Ed" lived in the area of Beckley, Virginia.

He was what one would call "True Hillfolk", as the entire county he lived in was without power as a child, and the county adjacent to his own didn't have a name, let alone a population.

Anyway, as a child his devout-Baptist mother told him that the "Snake-kissin Baptists" were really evil. This of course provoked interest in him thourhg his young life, as he's told me.

One time a friend of his and himself took their pickup as far as they could, then parked, and walked to one of these snake-kissin baptist churches back in the wood. They watched for a good while, when as Ed described them as starting to speak in "tongues" that as he told, they believe to be the language of the Angels, he heard a tremendous flapping overhead. Him and his buddy looked up to see a large (2-3 meters tall) thing flying in a circle above the church, with huge red eyes. When Ed saw it, they both took off running for their pickup, and the thing took off at an impossible speed after them, circling back around them everytime it would get ahead of them. He said that after they got to their truck and drove off, it flew back in the direction of the church. I'll quote my friend, Ed, exactly below:

"There ain't no kind of thing flies around [in or around Beckly, Virginia] at night that big. And there ain't no kind of Church that has that flyin over it. That was eitha' the mothman or a Devil."

He's also ventured that it is Satan convincing the Snake kissing baptists that the Serpent is holy, when they are only worshipping Lucifer..

Blah, I think it was the Mothman. But this really spooks me out, because Ed is the single most standup person I've ever met, and I can't recall him ever telling a lie. Shortly after he saw this as a young adult, he moved from Virginia to here, and has never gone back since.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This occured maybe a year ago, by the way.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Could you please reply with what you believe the Mothman to be?

What does this mean to you personally?

How has it changed your worldview?

Thank you.

~Jammer

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Personally, it means I am never going to Virginia.

I believe the Mothman to either be a Demon, or to be the last remaining member of a race long gone. Maybe how Turtles live for hundreds of years, maybe each "Mothman" has a life span of thousands of years.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zwanzig
Personally, it means I am never going to Virginia.

I believe the Mothman to either be a Demon, or to be the last remaining member of a race long gone. Maybe how Turtles live for hundreds of years, maybe each "Mothman" has a life span of thousands of years.

Don't fear, come to Virginia its Beckley, West Virginia this fellow is talking about, a whole different state. Apparently the mothman is seen in areas before something horrible happens. His presence is a warning that something is going to happen soon. The bridge that fell in Point Pleasant that the mothman prophecies is about he was seen for months, my mom and uncle crossed that bridge about a month before it fell, my uncle teased my Mom unmercifully that the bridge was cracking as they crossed since she was very frightened by the height of it. As a child I can recall watching the news on tv with my Mom as they showed the bridge and told the story of the collapse on the evening news.

[edit on 5-9-2004 by goose]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This story has some holes in it:

A) Goose is right, it is Beckley, WEST Virginia, mere miles from where I live.

B)All of the counties in West Virginia had power around 1922. Remember, this is southern WV, you had tons of coal mines all over the place, including Beckley. (I believe this came from the Rural Electrification act or something like that)

C) "The county next door didn't have a name let alone a population? Again, in the heart of WV coal mining?!?!

As to the "snake-kissin' baptists," a large group was working out of Frazier's Bottom WV. Fraizer's Bottom is not too far away from Point Pleasant. I've also heard them called "snake handlers." There were also some up towards the Eastern panhandle of the state.

Zwanzig, I don't think your friend knows what he was talking about.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Dude, this guy must be very, VERY OLD! C'mon man, this is kind of a ridiculuous story.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   

This is a rather recent occurance, proof the Mothman is still alive.

Hardly "proves"....

Since most all sightings were over a couple year span like back in the 70's as I recall... Still, there's an annual festival there, that just took place, honoring the Mothman (no doubt for the tourism revenue...)

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I've never been to West Virginia, I was telling you what he said to me had happened.

The lack of the "west" in the original post was my error, by the way. I apologize.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I live in greenbrier county about 40 minutes from Beckley in a little town named Lewisburg, WV. First off why would you quote your friends bad grammar? Why don't you just say isn't instead of 'ain't' and either instead of 'eitha' maybe your making the story up? Why would the mothman be flying over a church, i don't even think the mothman flys if there one because they are too big. Why would the mothman be there, he only shows up when there was disasters. Was there any disasters after that? Your story has many holes...and i doubt that a mom would call babtists 'the snake hissin babstists' even if they are west virginian, not all west virginans are hicks. And another flaw in your story, you cityfolk (lol) think we drives pickup trucks all the time so you just had to put pickup instead of car.......

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I think its a bunch of hooey too but it definitely seems to be a tale that originated in WV.

www.prairieghosts.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   
maybe he was just joking around with ya

new topics

top topics

join