It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worrying Observation about this generations children

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Power_Semi

Yes, I totally agree, this 'war on terror' will never stop, thanks to Bush jnr or whoever had his hand up his backside when he took that stance.

However, kids don't follow the news, so propaganda isn't something to worry about. Sure, they will hear about 'the war on terror' but I'm in no doubt, most kids will just brush it off and carry on being kids.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
I'm 22, and while I do remember some things about how the world was before 9-11, most of what I can remember has been post 9-11

I guess I should offer my view on things.

Well it doesn't feel too bad, I mean we're at war with bad guys who treat women like crap and give them no rights. They are nothing but religious fanatics that believe that they will go to heaven if they kill enough innocent people who don't submit to the will of "allah".

I don't really have a problem with it, I already registered for the selective service and most likely will get drafted if things heat up.

Are you talking about Muslims here?

Oh yes, you are.

Kid, don't be so naive. Terrorists come in all shapes and sizes.
Saying what you did makes you sound like an un-educated child.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish

Yes, I totally agree, this 'war on terror' will never stop, thanks to Bush jnr or whoever had his hand up his backside when he took that stance.

However, kids don't follow the news, so propaganda isn't something to worry about. Sure, they will hear about 'the war on terror' but I'm in no doubt, most kids will just brush it off and carry on being kids.

Yes, but the point I'm trying to make is not what they do or how they act while they are kids.

It's when they become adults. They will be adults who have never known a world without a war on terror, without the belief that there are "bad guys" who want to kill us all.

They therefore will accept the doctrine and be a part of it because they know nothing else and cannot conceive of anything else.

We can sit back and think this is not right, life was better pre-9-11, I don't agree, etc.

They cannot, they do not know anything else. They will be the next generation of soldiers, politicians, businessmen, teachers, etc, etc, and they will be easily malleable to believe in these lies.

Like the people in 1984 - they cannot rebel against the system because they know nothing but the system, it is the truth because they have never seen or heard anything else.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

The Hundred Years War

Many children were born then, too, and yet, here we are.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
These are some of the wars that have taken place since I was born:

Vietnam
The Suez Canal
The cold war
Cambodian civil war
El Salvadore civil war
Iran Iraq war
The contra war.....

The war on terror is just a new name for what has been going on since the dawn of man.

Nobody's children are immune to it.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Um -living surrounded by people who want to kill you has probably been the norm for humans throughout history - the postwar era of peace and prosperity has been a rare exception, made possible by capitalism and nuclear weapons - sorry to burst your bubble there.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Sadly, your observation is true. If one learns enough history they will quickly see that last war's enemies have become this war's allies. A pattern repeated long enough becomes self-evident.
By all means have your children read 1984! It's your responsibility to teach them about the power of advertising and how governments are now using these same techniques to gain support for their New World Order.
Show them respect for their privacy and teach them individual responsibility. They will understand how governments abuse the rights of the individual and try to collectivize blame.
When I was raising my kids I constantly talked back at the TV especially when something was a blatant lie. Unless of course you'd rather keep it off entirely which isn't a bad idea either but IMO it gives one a chance to hear today's propaganda and find what they are really trying to say.

Best of luck with raising your kids. You sound like a responsible parent who will raise kids who are a part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

OP - I just read your signature. I couldn't agree more. Show your kids the clip of Hillary laughing about assassination then talk to them about why that is so wrong. As someone said earlier "those with no empathy" are leading our governments right now.
edit on 28-11-2011 by Asktheanimals because: added comments

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Yes, our children in the west have the fear of something happening to us or them, spare a thought for the children in those countries that have been invaded that have seen there parents, brothers,sisters,relations and friends blown to bits or killed by marauding soldiers without respect for anyone or anything, no i am not saying all soldiers, but some. All under the pretense of terrorism, when we all know damn well who the real terrorist's of this world are.

Like the impending global collapse, we all know it is coming and we all know that it is being created by design, however will you and i get a say in any of this? exactly!.

You really think the elites and royals are going to struggle at all when this apocolypse finally hits? i will give you a quote"let them eat cake", that sums up there concerns then and now, nothing has changed, the plantation is just bigger nowadays.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

You have a naive view that the world is black and white, good vs evil, and of course, we're the "good guys" who want to stop the evil ones who want to kill us all at the first opportunity.

If you go back in time, the baby boomers were brain washed the same way about the Soviet Union. We were always told by our politicians and the media that the Soviet Union wanted to spread communism throughout the world. They were bent on launching a nuclear strike against the United States.

Now the United States is the country that is trying to spread democracy throughout the world. We've been in how many wars and conflicts within the past 10 years? Now who is good and who is evil?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
those kids will be fine. after all without discipline who knows what they can overcome.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

It's when they become adults. They will be adults who have never known a world without a war on terror, without the belief that there are "bad guys" who want to kill us all. They therefore will accept the doctrine and be a part of it because they know nothing else and cannot conceive of anything else

I remember the Russians being the 'bad guys' back in my day, along with the IRA.
The threat of nuclear war hung over us through the 70's and into the 80's.

There will always be 'bad guys' in this World.

Propaganda isn't a new thing. We've all been victims of it to some extent and will carry on being so, even the switched on.

I don't think the kids of today will be that much different. In fact I'd go as far as saying they have a better chance of not being swayed by propaganda. We have the internet, with places like this.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Good observation. I get what you are saying. I am a school teacher. The one thing I can tell you, especially in America, is that kids have no clue what is going on outside of facebook and the life at school and home. Some--very few--kids pay attention. Not many. For the most part, parents are the same. When destruction comes, people will ask what happened. Complacency is a false sense of security that pervades our society. Our country is strong, only because we have faithful, God-fearing men and women with a connection to God. Track the faith of any nation and it will mirror their family life, society, governance and laws. When this falls, justice is gone. When justice is gone, society crumbles as the family implodes. We should have paid attention to Confucius.

“The ancients, wanting to demonstrate illustrious virtue throughout the kingdom, first governed well their own states. Wanting to govern well their own states, they first regulated their families. Wanting to regulate their families, they first cultivated their character. Wanting to cultivate their character, they first set right their hearts. Wanting to set right their hearts, they first sought to be sincere in their thoughts. Wanting to be sincere in their thoughts, they first increased their knowledge. Increase of knowledge was found in the examination of things. Things being examined, knowledge became complete. Their knowledge being complete, their thoughts were sincere. Their thoughts being sincere, their hearts were then made right. Their hearts being made right, their character was cultivated. Their character being cultivated, their families were regulated. Their families being regulated, their states were rightly governed. Their states being rightly governed, the whole kingdom was made peaceful and happy.” Confucius 500 B.C.
edit on 28-11-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Pretty sure it goes over most of their heads or that many don't even know. I mean my little sister didn't even know what 9/11 was, I had to explain it to her, they'd never learned anything about it at school. I don't think many kids think or worry about such things and those that do are just the few who are well-informed.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by supine
These are some of the wars that have taken place since I was born:

Vietnam
The Suez Canal
The cold war
Cambodian civil war
El Salvadore civil war
Iran Iraq war
The contra war.....

The war on terror is just a new name for what has been going on since the dawn of man.

Nobody's children are immune to it.

I get what you're saying, but all of these wars, even the cold war are against a specific nation, there is a beginning and an end.

The war on terror is against no nation, it's against a group that supposedly exists, we only believe it exists because we're told it does, there is no country, capital, citizens, etc that we can see exists.

It's not like a war where you capture the enemy leader or capital and the war is won, it will go on forever, it is an invisible enemy that may not even exist, there is no way to prove or disprove it.

Kids of today will grow up accepting it is true because it's all they've ever known or been told.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure the human race has always been in a state of perpetual war. I'm not worried about that though, I'm more worried about the crap they see on the Disney channel.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

"WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

We are at war with Eurasia........
We have always been at war with Eastasia."

from the book that predicted it all...1984 by George Orwell

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Power_Semi
...their generation have never known anything other than a world where we are in a perpetual "war" on "terrorists" who supposedly want to kill us at the first opportunity.

Actually, the threats have always been there. The Soviets were a threat to us for a longer period of time, and before that, it was the Germans and Japanese. Our lives have been touched by foregin threats for a long time. The only difference with the threat we face today, is that we face a threat within that is trying to use the guise of terrorism to chip away at our liberties. If there is anything you should be fearful for your children about, it's how they take their liberties for granted.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

Originally posted by Power_Semi
...their generation have never known anything other than a world where we are in a perpetual "war" on "terrorists" who supposedly want to kill us at the first opportunity.

Actually, the threats have always been there. The Soviets were a threat to us for a longer period of time, and before that, it was the Germans and Japanese. Our lives have been touched by foregin threats for a long time. The only difference with the threat we face today, is that we face a threat within that is trying to use the guise of terrorism to chip away at our liberties. If there is anything you should be fearful for your children about, it's how they take their liberties for granted.

"Do the Russians love their children too" - Sting.

Were the Soviets really a threat though? We believed them to be because we were told they were, but I'd imagine that if you'd been born in Russia by some quirk of fate, then you'd have believed exactly the same thing, that the Americans were a threat, and that's why armies/navies/atomic weapons were needed, etc.

This is the thing. They are only a threat because we are told to believe they are.

Everyone is lead to believe that everyone else is a threat, else realistically (without the de-humanisation of another race/country) how could you be expected to fight and kill them?

They HAVE to be the evil enemy, otherwise there's no chance you'll submit to losing liberties and/or go and fight.

After the First World war a politician from the UK wrote a book highlighting the lies and propaganda used to achieve this mentality in the public (you can find it free online since copyright has expired), and you'd be amazed at how often those myths are redressed and repeated (babies being bayonetted, hospitals being burned down with nurses/nuns raped and killed, soldiers crucified, castrated, etc, etc - nothings new).

The worry that I'm trying to communicate, is that people can only see the lies if they have something else, another way of life to measure it against.

My children, and perhaps people up to their early 20's (and maybe some adults who've swallowed the propaganda) cannot see, remember, or compare to anything pre 9-11, they only know what you might call "the age of the invisible terrorists".

In other words terrorists who we are told exist, must be protected against, and fight against, but who have never attacked in the west since 2001.

If our children are born into a world that they believe is full of "evil terrorists" that we need to fight and kill to "remain free" then a number of things can happen:

1) They can be lured into fighting unjust wars
2) Our children may be sacrficied to meet other peoples ends in pointless conflicts
3) Unjust wars will be embraced (Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, etc)
4) The truth behind these unjust wars will remain hidden (to steal their assets on behalf of corporations and power hungry lunatics)
5) They may give away our liberties to protect us from non-existant threats
6) A perpetual state of fear and oppression may reign

Over a million civilians have lost their lives in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Libya to OUR side - how does that in any way promote freedom, liberty, democracy, or make us in any way good?

People will only put up with it if they believe those people to be the enemy.

Many in this generation can see that they are not the enemy.

Everyone in the next generation will believe that they know that they are the enemy and deserve what they get.

The one thing that gives hope is that this next generation have had so little disicipline and have so little respect for others, plus have so little sense of belonging or national identity, that if someone told them they had to go to war and fight for their country, they'd tell them where to stick it in no uncertain terms.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by proof-would-be-good

"WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

We are at war with Eurasia........
We have always been at war with Eastasia."

from the book that predicted it all...1984 by George Orwell

PERFECT!

That's exactly the point, almost as though TPTB have read the book and made it a reality.

Funnily enough our world seems to be mixed between 1984 & Huxleys Brave New World - we've had the hedonism and technological distractions, now comes the boot.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Thanks, Ed. Your quote from Confucious is brilliant. America should be such a place where this could occur but, there is such a thing as evil in the world. ATS's motto reminds me that there is still hope for mankind, and that altruism is still something to be admired. I have to believe that todays children will not be fooled as easily as we were and that they will demand the truth. After all, we are evolving, aren't we?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join