It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: BBC finds airport security lapses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Under cover reporter Michelle Cox, who was working as an aviation security officer in a a BBC investigation shows serious security lapses at the Manchester Airport as part of the Whistleblower series on BBC1 which will be shown on Tuesday at 2100.

BBC NEWS
"Michelle was told by colleagues to exaggerate the figures, with one workmate openly declaring, `We cheat'," a statement said.

"Michelle also discovered planes left open and unattended on the tarmac overnight with easy access provided by the steps, which had been left attached, contrary to security rules."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related Links
Manchester Airport

What has happened to all the security measures that where put in place to protect us since the 9-11 incident. I think this TV show is going to open huge hole again when its aired and will make us question how safe are we really.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Does this surprise anyone? Doesn't even make me angry. Security is a little game we play with ourselves to make everyone feel better. We're no more secure than we were before. Read some of the other threads with people carrying knives etc on planes accidentally. First Class passengers are given steak knives on flights all the time. Technology advancing far faster than a screening device... Doesn't take a mastermind to clear security with ease. Planes take off and land all over the world with little security thousands of times a day. Not enough money or manpower to police the whole world aviation industry.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
And because of the lack of security we could have another 9-11 on our hands again I hope this TV show will give our government a kick up the rear and spur them into cracking down on the problems. From the advert for it she could have easily hidden a bomb on board just shows how bad it is not just a case of checking people.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SE7EN
And because of the lack of security we could have another 9-11 on our hands again

Unfortunately, I think it's not a matter of a "could have" but a "when we have." Maybe not in the US, but somewhere else it will happen. Russia has probably just felt the tip of the iceberg, and I can only hope that they and everyone else won't ever experience anything like that again. Terrorism will continue, and there isn't much the world can do to rid itself of it. Terrorism was here all along, before 9/11 the US just called it someone else's problem, or labeled it differently.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   

RedBalloon
Maybe not in the US, but somewhere else it will happen. Russia has probably just felt the tip of the iceberg,

I meant in scale wise to 9-11 but you are correct Russia has just sufferd the loss of two planes at the hands of terrorist's this past week. But my point is whats happend to all the security and why has it gone so bad.This show is going to be inresting to watch and I bet you the next day its all over the papers.

[edit on 5/9/2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SE7EN
I meant in scale wise to 9-11 but you are correct Russia has just sufferd the loss of two planes at the hands of terrorist's this past week.

And at least 340 killed in a school by terrorists. That's pretty high up there on the "scale." We've got genocide going in Sudan, and many feel whats going on in Iraq is terrorism. It's all about your own perspective when defining terrorism.

But you're right - the media will jump all over this and everyone will "tighten" security and start pointing fingers.

[edit on 5-9-2004 by RedBalloon]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Well terrorism isn't just blowing stuff up, it's the act of putting people into fear and confusion. I think the media contributes a lot to terrorism as that's all they ever talk about now days. If it was kept behind the scenes and dealt with swiftly by special forces I bet they wouldn't try to get much attention.
I also believe this is happening in russia to get russian backed support for the usa against "terrorism", ie pre-emptive strikes on whatever country may be next.

new topics

top topics

join