It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically Modified Tobacco Virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
So I was trying to look up info on chem trails, when I stumbled across an article that's well a little disturbing in my book! According to this website they have genetically modified a tobacco virus using nano technology?

www.zimbio.com...

Then it goes to say

Nanotechnology Nanotechnology Get breaking nanotech news and recommend your favorite nanotechnology bloggers. Stay up to speed on the industry and new developments. Front Page Articles Pictures Videos more Write an Article RSS Genetically Modified Tobacco Virus Used to Manufacture Nanoscale Devices in Significant Advance in Biological Manufacturing Report By altonparrish3 on Apr-16-10 2:56am From: nanopatentsandinnovations.blogspot.com University Of Maryland Biotechnology Institute (Baltimore, MD) and Purdue Research Foundation (West Lafayette, IN) scientists have developed metal coated virus-based nanoelectrodes and methods of assembling the electrodes with a modified tobacco virus. The nano-scaffolds, and more specifically, genetically engineered nanoscale metal reactive surfaces are useful in nano-devices, including sensors, solar cells, batteries, electrodes, transistors, semiconductor chips and capacitors, according to U.S. Patent Application 20100093562.

Why would they want to use a virus with nanos? I don't see good things from this.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Did the words "genetically modified" and "virus" scare you? They are working towards nano electronics, not a new WMD or some other horror. Read the article a little more closely.

Edit:

scientists have developed metal coated virus-based nanoelectrodes and methods of assembling the electrodes with a modified tobacco virus

Not so much using nano tech on the virus. More like using the virus on nano tech. Very interesting imo.
edit on 11/27/2011 by MeesterB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

OK I get nano tech, but using a actual virus? I dont see good in that. But thats me

And love your avatar

edit on 27-11-2011 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy

OK I get nano tech, but using a actual virus? I dont see good in that. But thats me

Why shouldn't scientists use nature's own amazing design? You could spend countless hours and resources trying to replicate nature and never get it just right.
It just so happens that viral genes are relatively easy to manipulate, and apparently they can exhibit whatever assembly traits that these scientists require.

I bet these viruses aren't even pathogenic after all the GM.

edit on 11/27/2011 by MeesterB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
According to this website they have genetically modified a tobacco virus ...

Further to what other people have said already, you should know that the Tobacco Mocais Virus (TMV) is a thing which has long been used for genetic experiments.
For people interested in messing about with plant genetics, the TMV is a basic staple of the genetic engineering "toolkit" they would have in the lab.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

Wow...using a virus as a medium to structure, orient, design and specify nano particles. Now there's a really safe sounding idea. Is this virus then going to be part of our next android? What a novel idea. Let's experiment on everyone who uses batteries and electronics. Great find OP.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

Let me clarify : Tobacco Mosaic is an extremely problematic plant virus.

Those that would even consider advantageous genetic modifications of these particular pathogens

seek only to destroy or control food supplies.

That is Terrorism plain and simple. No if's or and's about it.

Clear as Crystal, or shiny as a Diamond?

Your Preference.

edit on 28-11-2011 by Wildmanimal because: Add in Sentence

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

i'm with you on this Wild, i'm sick of them doing crap like this.
there going to end up killing everything and everyone they can get their dirty beeky( add big name calling sware words here..as many as you like) mits onto.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I think the wrong concept is being pushed here....nano tech is, well, really small...okay, so they haven't developed the actual machines yet to 'build' nanobots or nano structures....so viruses are good at this because they are basically single minded machines....They have had a lot of success in this, they go and reprogram the virus to instead of 'invade a cell, change the dna to reproduce, and die'.....the virus goes and builds this nano structure. living cells are too complex and not really efficient at this, viruses on the other hand are smaller and solely designed to do single function.....We need to get past the 'virus' is a bad word and just look at the word virus as a small single minded organism that can either be good or bad depending on the application.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
5 seconds of searching gets you all sorts of answers - eg mosaic virus produces insecticides, or TMV used for self assembling lithium batteries - offering up to 10 times battery life....there's plenty more - try it - it's fun!

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

You Know Whateva69, the alerting thing is that they don't realy give a damn.
It is all about building that new extension to park the Mercedes in.
They are taught to only understand rapid personal gain.
The concept of the "Future" or even a "Country",
is no different than cheering at a Sports Arena,
or a concert. I have done this many of times, and will continue, to
some extent. However, the programming and 'Crowd Consciousness,'
is blatenty obvious.

In honesty, I will party and cheer with a crowd of my friends, or even strangers anyday.
Until they know longer comprehend exactly what they are cheering for.
At this point , "They are cheering that they have been robbed."
Yet they don't even know it. Troublesome.
It would be funny if it wasn't true on such a grand scale.

edit on 28-11-2011 by Wildmanimal because: Typo Correction, and content add in

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

I hope you feel accomplished in running off real discussion with your ignorant fear. You obviously didn't understand the article. Better electronics.... that is all.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
This is definitely a reason to quit smoking. As if there weren't enough already.

Nano-tobacco virus sounds scary to me.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikehawk

Many viruses are "nano" by definition - < 100nanometers - the largest known virus is genus Megavirus. Most are 20-300 nanometers in size.

Ironically tobacco mosaic dimensions are about 18nm in diameter, but approx 300 nm long - so it is far too big to be accurately described as "nano!

Giving up smoking is a good idea.....but the tobacco mosaic virus doesn't affect people - only the plant. it was also the first virus discovered.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
All in a days work for our 'brilliant' scientists ! Along with this gem :-
sfaw.wordpress.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ProRipp

You do understand that replicating the genetic code is not the same as recreating the plague itself don't you??

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Whoops, I thought they were discussing something else. My Bad.

Thanks for the wake up call!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Oh yes, I forgot about my ignorant fear.

Thanks for correcting me.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
That's nothing. I found this article about the NWO potentially microbioengineering helicopters to create autonomus beings which become the black helicopters we know and love.

new topics

join