It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio puts 200-pound third-grader in foster care

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

CLEVELAND (AP) — An Ohio third-grader who weighs more than 200 pounds has been taken from his family and placed into foster care after county social workers said his mother wasn't doing enough to control his weight.

The case is the first state officials can recall of a child being put in foster care strictly for a weight-related issue.

Lawyers for the mother say the county overreached when authorities took the boy last week. They say the medical problems he is at risk for do not yet pose an imminent danger.

A spokeswoman says the county removed the child because caseworkers saw his mother's inability to reduce his weight as medical neglect.

I'd like to hear your opinions. Mine? Strangely enough I'm on the fence - someplace I find completely uncomfortable as I rarely find myself here...

peace

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Sorry already posted

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up.
On another note I'm getting VERY frustrated with the ATS search engine.

peace

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

No worries, I have problems with the search engine sometimes too.

At first I was on the fence, an still kind of am, but now I'm leaning towards the county being out of line in this situation. A member found a link that portrays the mom as a fit mother. I'm not sure if it's true or not but if true it means that the mother has done all she can and foster parents won't be able to do any better.
edit on 27-11-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Put the word "200" into the search engine and the other thread was first in line to appear.

Less is best.

In any case, I'm on the fence as well. I do believe that strict monitoring should have been the first option (as it appears to have been indeed) and if that does not meet success, the next option would be to move to something more drastic in the interest of child safety.

Hopefully, he will be reunited once a family plan has been formed.

edit on 27-11-2011 by SmokeyRoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeyRoom

Put the word "200" into the search engine and the other thread was first in line to appear.

Less is best.

I'll try that in the future - I (mistakenly) believed the search engine would have picked that up.

Good to know - Thank you!

CLOSED

edit on 27-11-2011 by silo13 because: duplicate thread error

top topics

join