It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is no such thing as a mental illness

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Heads up, this is a long presentation (approximately 45 minutes)

A very interesting presentation on mental illness from the always intriguing Stefan Molyneux. After watching it, I'm still unsure about the whole idea but I thought I would share it here anyway.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Most mental illnesses are problems that psychologist can pinpoint (ADHD is probably the most common problem found) for the application of making people fit in the mold of what it is to be productive in our society. That's not to say mental illnesses don't exist, there are plenty of cases that say otherwise.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

Sorry I can't watch videos at work but I disagree with your title. I think there are many different types of mental disabillities. I plan on watching your video later so I can comment on topic. Hopefully I will have more to share after I watch it.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
we all have a mental illness (right now) we are all forced to live one way
this whole entire planet lives one way, that is not natural as a child we have a free feeling but soon as we become adults our minds become trapped and our mental illness takes over

if you are at a job you hate thats a mental illness etc.......but we have to because we are being controlled
and instead of dealing with it we turn our heads and ignore it thats a mental illness

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
This make's me mad, no such thing? I work in a secure mental health unit and have to help people with very real mental illness's.
Tell that there is no such thing to the Mother who's Son tried to kill her because demon's told him to do it.
Once again this thread is going to have stupid comments slagging off the work I and other's do to help people and at the end of the day helping everyone by trying to cure these people and keeping the people who are dangerous to you all in a safe enviroment.
People annoy me because they don't know anything about mental illness but are all experts on the subject.
Go and help in your local mental health unit for a day and I bet you wouldn't even entertain the idea that mental illness is a lie.

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

The number one comment on the video on YouTube is as follows:

oh dear.

Only someone who has no direct experience of or watched someone they loved go through mental illness would make such a ridiculous statement.

Hitler very much believed in mental illness - which is why he murdered thousands of mentally ill.

What you are advocating is highly irresponsible and prejudicial. It is a redressed ignorance based on assumption and lack of understanding about the realities of mental illness.

Abhorrent to deny the suffering and deaths of many for your own kudos.

I could not have said it better myself-- but I could say it meaner, if you like.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Those people are there because people like you have created them. You created what we now term as mental illness an umbrella term so far reaching anyone can be assessed and classed under it. From electroshock to chemical therapies these are all things you have enacted upon your fellow man because he didn't fit your definition of the world. [snip]

If one reaches into a radio and removes a few wires its not going to continue on the radio station previously tuned is it?

When these people who have been treated so by you have been given the right to retaliate, to design your suffrage, that is when we will find harmony again.

Everyone who is part of this system should stop now. If you do not understand the actions you are asked to perform STOP because you are doing more harm than good.
edit on 27-11-2011 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Who is anyone to dictate what a mental illness is because someone doesn’t meet your idea of being normal and therefore they need to be conditioned?
Psychiatry and psychoactive drugs are a scam and focusing on individual 'illnesses' is pointless because it is as a result of much larger problems within society that will never be fixed if we cant look past the small picture.

There is no such thing as a mental illness, only people who differ from you.

edit on 27-11-2011 by WakeUpRiseUp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I'm not watching this video. I live with a mentally ill child, If you think there is no such thing as a mental child, you can take my niece for a week and see if you survive the torture.

Psychotic, Manipulative, Autistic, ADHD, and who knows what else.

This kid doesn't know the difference between " her Actions have Consequences"

She already tried to suffocate her mother and she tried breaking my arm the other night.

So, I had her arrested.

Enough is Enough.

Hospital keeps sending her home.

I'm pretty much at my wits end.

Hmm wonder if it's legal for me to put cuffs on her before she gets in the aggressive beating mode or make her wear a straight jacket until she calms down.

Done being the punching bag.

edit on 27-11-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
ITT: People getting mad at OP for sharing a video.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernamehere

Those people are there because people like you have created them. You created what we now term as mental illness an umbrella term so far reaching anyone can be assessed and classed under it. From electroshock to chemical therapies these are all things you have enacted upon your fellow man because he didn't fit your definition of the world. SCUM #S.

If one reaches into a radio and removes a few wires its not going to continue on the radio station previously tuned is it?

When these people who have been treated so by you have been given the right to retaliate, to design your suffrage, that is when we will find harmony again.

Everyone who is part of this system should stop now. If you do not understand the actions you are asked to perform STOP because you are doing more harm than good.

OMG another person who has no idea of what we do.
1) We don't have people in our unit who are just different, we have people who are a risk to other's and more to themselves.
2)You think we treat these people badly? OMG how dare you I have met many ex patients who have thanked me for helping them get better.
3) You say we should all just stop treating THE SICK? Ok let's let them all out and when a Mentally ill person stab's your wife/child/mom I will ask you again if I should just stop.
4) Guys this isn't the 1950's we don't have asylum's anymore, we don't use straightjackets, we only give out med's if they really need them, we don't use tasers. We use therapy to help these people, we don't just pump them full of drug's 90% of my working day is talking to the patient's.
More harm than good....No Sir I do a good job, a Hard job so how dare you come on here telling me Iam doing harm.
You have no experience in this subject and if you did you wouldn't have wrote that. grrrr

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp

Quote removed by staff
How so?
You got any reasons apart from opinion?

edit on 27/11/2011 by Sauron because: removed OT quote

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The only people who say there are no such things as mental illnesses are people who have never experienced them.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mart0
The only people who say there are no such things as mental illnesses are people who have never experienced them.
You’re telling me, I've had to experience society my whole life.
People with 'mental illness' are a lot more sane then a majority of society.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Also you say we have created the mentally ill people? in one aspect your right society does create mentally ill people. Some are made ill by the upbringing they have (abuse) some have used to many drug's and have damaged their brain.
We don't know 100% what has caused the mental illness but it doesn't mean it's not there.
But seeing you didn't even try to say anything about my post and just tried to be funny I don't think you are mature enough to comment on such an important topic.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Originally posted by usernamehere

Those people are there because people like you have created them. You created what we now term as mental illness an umbrella term so far reaching anyone can be assessed and classed under it. From electroshock to chemical therapies these are all things you have enacted upon your fellow man because he didn't fit your definition of the world. SCUM #S.

OMG another person who has no idea of what we do.
1) We don't have people in our unit who are just different, we have people who are a risk to other's and more to themselves.
2)You think we treat these people badly? OMG how dare you I have met many ex patients who have thanked me for helping them get better.
3) You say we should all just stop treating THE SICK? Ok let's let them all out and when a Mentally ill person stab's your wife/child/mom I will ask you again if I should just stop.
4) Guys this isn't the 1950's we don't have asylum's anymore, we don't use straightjackets, we only give out med's if they really need them, we don't use tasers. We use therapy to help these people, we don't just pump them full of drug's 90% of my working day is talking to the patient's.
More harm than good....No Sir I do a good job, a Hard job so how dare you come on here telling me Iam doing harm.
You have no experience in this subject and if you did you wouldn't have wrote that. grrrr

they are not going to listen to you no matter how much you try to relate to them the truth.
I have worked in this area, and looking at many of the posts here, it is quite clear that those who know what they are talking about are the ones being attacked. Hang in there. this whole thing upsets me in the highest being one of those who has been a caregiver in this field. Mental Illness is very real. You are correct, ...just let them have their say. You are not going to change their hearts at all. they simply do not understand where you are coming from.
DH o yea another star.. keep giving that good care..just do it.
edit on 27-11-2011 by DavidsHope because: (no reason given)

link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

link   

Except "Society" isn't a mental illness. A cause? Most likely. But the cause of all Mental Illnesses? No.
Please explain how something like Schizophrenia, A condition with how the very nature of the brain works and interacts with itself, Is some how caused by Society?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join