It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovered Ancient Sandstone Carving.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Guys, really sorry about the delayed response. SImply do not have seem to have the time....sigh!

Hey Druid, no body need be right or have the last word here. Agree with you. We are all learning, every day on this journey.

The conch is in his left hand. Look carefully. Some pertinent points about Vishnu in Indian mythology.

Sudarshan Chakra is weilded by none other than Vishnu or his avataars across Hindu Mythology.

Depiction in numerous ways across India, the constants are the conch (Panchajanya), discus(Sudarshan chakra), club (Kaumodaki), and lotus.

Not consistent, however, is the departure from tradition in this statue, if we consider, that this originated in India or was done by a scultor from India (very doubtful). To elaborate, about the four arms of Vishnu, Gopal-Uttartapani - Upanishad says:

"In my lower right hand, which represents the revolving or creative tendency, I hold the conch, symbol of the five elements.

In the upper right hand, which represents the cohesive tendency I hold the discus, shining like an infant sun, symbol of the mind.

In the upper left hand, which represents the tendency towards dispersion and liberation, I hold the lotus, symbol of the causal power of illusion, from which the universe rises.

In my lower left hand, which represents the notion of individual existence, is the mace, symbol of primeval knowledge."

Here the symbols are not placed correctly. Its almost as if someone was given an image to work on and replicated a mirror image of the original....thus mixing up the placement of the symbols.

This would be a big blooper /sacrilege/no-no for a traditional Indian sculptor commissioned to work on a religious form....so, someone who was shown an image to work with....

To the OP - From whatever I can make out, script is a curious mix. . the first letter is Yu and the last one Sha...some letters are not sanskrit, have a faint resemblance to the indus vally script. (Druid - The brahmi came much later - around 3rd century BC used by Ashoka in his edicts. Indus Vally script - 1500 BC).

Could you possible try to copy the script by hand, scan and then upload the image? Will be a big help.

And oh, thanks again for sharing this in the first place!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Charismagic

Hi Charismagic,

Thank you for your response. Here is the script that my husband was able to copy. It is pretty worn.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MysteriousEyes1

I think the mystery here is deeper than the eyes that you see them with....

For one, in this image, the top arrow shows Yu and the bottom one shows sha. This is Devnagari script or Hindi, spoken in India today, with roots in Sanskrit.

Thanks for trying to copy and upload. Let me work with the photos you uploaded. Might take some time though, since that's one thing I seem to be perennially short of.

Will try, may not be able to decipher anything, so please don't set too high an expectation on this.

Charismagic

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Charismagic

Hi Charismagic,

First, I would like to thank you for your precious time that you have spent on this piece. You and Druid have been wonderful with the information that was given. I have loved this piece from the first day that we have found it and appreciate any information that you may have. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MysteriousEyes1

The 1st alphabet "यु "on the right side is pronounced as "yuu". The first letter is a union of the "य" and the उ "
The second letter on the 1st line is "ग"

combined it says "युग"

pronounced as YUG which means Epoch or Era.

The 1st letter of the 2nd line of the right side, could be "अ"
the second letter is not readable
the last three letters form the word "पुरुष " pronounced PURUSH, which is male in hindi/sanskrit.

there are words like "युगपुरुष " pronounced YUGPURUSH which essentially means Man of the era/epoch.

"युगपुरुष " also says the same, but is pronounced YUGAPURUSH.

i think the word "युगपुरुष " pronounced YUGAPURUSH is on the right side.

as for the left side
the 1st letter could be "अः" pronounced "Ah"
the 2nd letter is not readable
the letters on the 2nd line are not readable.

There you go, some what i could translate.
i am sorry i couldnt make the devnagari fonts larger.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by coredrill

Thank you coredrill. What you were able to translate is wonderful. Now I have some understanding of the inscription. The piece is Beautiful. Thanks!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join