It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to investigate deadly NATO airstrike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

The U.S. plans its own investigation into NATO's deadly airstrikes in Pakistan, while two senior lawmakers called for a harder line after Islamabad closed parts of its border to supply convoys into Afghanistan and demanded the U.S. vacate a drone base. Gen. James Mattis, head of U.S. Central Command, which oversees American military operations in the region, was expected by Monday to name an investigating officer to examine the incident, according to a defense official who was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Source

This is has and continues to get crazier & crazier it seems,nothing that really surprises me,not with how things have been going lately but still.

I cannot help but believe this is not going to end well,throw in the recent conflict with Iran,Russia etc.
you have yourself one hell of a pot boiling over.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

The U.S. plans its own investigation into NATO's deadly airstrikes in Pakistan...

Isn't this a bit like a fox investigating a report of missing chickens from a henhouse?
edit on 11/27/2011 by Klassified because: reword

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Okay, the way this is being worded and presented in public, it's as if this was something totally unrelated to American personnel. I understand this was NATO, but in that area and conflict that USUALLY means U.S. forces under a NATO banner. However, this is reading entirely different. So.... I'm starting to get real curious on 3 points here.... Anyone know some solid and sourced answers?

1. What nationality of soldiers were controlling the aircraft and weapons systems which engaged Pakistani forces?

2. Where were Americans in the chain of command for the incident as it unfolded that day? Were Americans directly involved in the decision process and calls for support or was this another contingent of NATO entirely?

3. Exactly WHO called for what support and what was it in support of? Was this hot pursuit? Defense? Or target of opportunity that got out of hand?

We seem to have speculation and suspicions a plenty with almost no solid facts.... Time to take a giant step back and get at least a couple of those questions answered, eh?

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The Bundeswehr may control the northwest. As such they're the only non American force I can think of who may have been involved. And while I respect the Bundeswehr, I just don't see them as being part and parcel to this incident.

It's difficult to be certain what force engaged the Pakistanis, and doubtful that an operational overlay will be handed down the pipeline (i.e. thru the media) to give a visual on assigned battle spaces. In all I think it's pretty safe to say that Americans control the AFG/PAK border; hence, Americans were involved. But I agree that the report is peculiar. It's not clear to me why two senior lawmakers (probably senators) are demanding a harder line against Islamabad when a formal ISAF investigation has yet to even occur. Granted the importance of the now-closed logistical nodes shouldn't be understated, but Islamabad's reaction to the current storyline strikes me as a rational response in terms of their security.

At any rate I'm guessing you are aware that logistical nodes and routes are a pretty sensitive matter. Per that alone I imagine the gatekeepers will want to ensure that the information relating to this event remains as ambiguous as possible.

new topics

top topics

join