It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

County Places 200-Pound Third-Grader In Foster Care

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy
reply to post by SinDefiant

if the mother were giving her child alcohol that caused his liver problems then yes they would take the child.

Obviously.... Giving a child that much alcohol is an extreme scenario.

I was talking about examples of regular medical problems, not immoral parenting.

My point is the mother is allowing/contributing to the medical problem. Not like he just got fat from things he could aquire on his own. The mother was being irresponsible or unable to discipline her child. That is the reason he is so overweight. So I would call this immoral parenting.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Barring any medical issues contributing to his weight, this child was abused and neglected in his own home. It's not abuse in the "traditional" sense as we think of abuse but if this boy was getting food from siblings and other kids after his mother supposedly attempted to change his eating habits then for the sake of his own health, and his life, he needed to be removed from the home and change schools. How was he allowed to become this heavy without his physician stepping in and expressing concern before it became this extreme? I just don't understand how this happens.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

This is equivalent to the mother giving the kid alcohol. She is feeding him and she decides how much exercise he gets.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
To those who think this travesty is a good thing, I sincerely hope that the 'State' doesn't find something they dislike in any of your children or siblings and decides that they are now 'The Property Of The State'!!!!

Try living with this after you have done everything in your power to work out a solution to what ever problem the state decides is in their (the states) best interests! You are merely the birthing parents anymore and your children need to be indoctrinated to the 'Needs of The State' and not your families morals and standards!

You who believe this is right and correct need to revue your own principles and think about it as if you were the victim!

Zindo

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

It isn't a matter of something to "dislike" in the child, it's a matter of his LIFE. Just because the mother said she had followed the Dr's advice & "tried" to get him to exercise doesn't mean that she actually did it. There's also the matter of a sibling as well as other children giving him food that he obviously didn't need!

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by claireaudient

Have you been in a situation to try and force a child to do anything? Most likely not because you certainly don't understand the problem! There is a point you reach that you can literally be stumped and not be able to reach the child. Specially at the age of this child. They shut down completely. Believe me, the DAMNED state will resolve nothing with this child. They will end up abandoning the child and no one will be responsible for what ever happens after the process is done! He/She will be lost in the system with absolutely no recourse to gain back the family they once had till they get to the age of adulthood. That is if they make it that long!

Zindo

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Of course I have, I have 4 boys and the youngest is disabled. It's not as if this boy is an obstinate teenager, he's in THIRD grade! For Pete's sake....BREAK HIS PLATE and walk with him to the park!! ...not to mention cook healthier meals.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by claireaudient

You are fortunate then. Myself my family and the half dozen Dr's who tried their best to help my son, along with more money than I care to think about spent with lawyers and special care and all the logic and caring I could muster didn't work. Luckily for me my son decided to change on his own at the age of 18! If the state hadn't relinquished there claims to my son he would have ended up in a real mess. Not all, and damned few, ever get that chance for change when it comes to the damned bureaucracy involved with DCS.
Zindo

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I'm sorry to hear that but am glad your boy came to his senses before anything could hit his record as an adult....if that's the case. Mine also has had the state involved but they have seen my efforts and that I don't make excuses for him, I let him suffer the consequences of his actions, disability or not. I'm a huge believer in accepting responsibility for your actions whether by choice or demand - preferably before you're 'busted'.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It is child abuse, or at least a case of parental neglect. The duty of parents is to keep the children in their care reasonably healthy, and that includes preventing severe obesity such as this. Foster care is an extreme solution, and other means should be tried at first, but it is certainly justified if other ways have failed.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
A real mother and father would have bought the entire family a bike, and went riding 2 times a week, as a family, long before he was obese.

I will bet anything the mother and father are obese as well.
edit on 27-11-2011 by K1771gnorance because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I hate the government and I'm never for the government being involved in anything. This boy is in serious trouble and his parents are 100% to blame. There should not be any garbage food, or soda, in this house. Only heathy meals should be made. And this boy should be put on an exercise plan. The parents have completely failed their child.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
So this means that those that approve this action...

Taking a child from the parents home without immediate danger to the child is ok... even though the law says otherwise...

This also means the tone of the points is that what ever a 'reasonable Person' decides constitutes a threat to health and welfare allows the government regardless of civil rights to behave in a manner deemed ok in the name of protecting the individual and society

correct

So everyone of you who agree with this action can be deemed mentally unhealthy and due to the fact that you are contributing to the decline of civil liberties can be deemed a threat to national security...

This means If I was in charge you would approve of me arresting you to protect the rest of society from you and your delusions...

You agree that if because those in power decide you are insane you should be sterilized so that you do not pass this trait on to any offspring... any children you have should be taken from you immediately and sterilized ... this is to protect future generations from a potential danger your genes pose to the freedom of americans everywhere?

I just want to make sure I understand where you are coming from....

Just change the nouns in the above sentences with weight , fat, obesity,

wow sounds cool to me

report to your nearest dark alley with your cash and bank cards... A patriotic free merchant will assist you in the culling process....

Great Day my fellow American your loyalty to your country is appreciated...

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Well.. I think I would consider it child abuse.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

A bad liver wouldnt be the fault of the parents.

A fat kid? Fault of the parents.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Not good for the Child to be obese.

Worse for the Child is to be removed from his home. Why not assign a nutritionist to the family and educate them about healthy food choices. Also educate the family about exercise and health issues. The family are probably doing the best they can with the knowledge they have and that is not a crime.

We are all bombarded by advertisements for fast food - everywhere! The Child and the family need support. The Child needs to be medically examined for underlying problems and don't forget that the stress and anxiety that the Child will experience when removed from the family home will no doubt affect the digestive system. At the onset of flight or fight the first part of the body to shut down is the digestive system.

So - remove the Child from the family - cause the Child to stress and mess up the already compromised growing body. When will people start thinking and incorporating some feelings and senses into their thoughts and actions. It is not a crime to make a mistake with diet choices - good grief most of us would be guilty of a bad food choice at one time or another.

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Hope he gets put in the hands of responsible relatives soon. He is no safer in the hands of the government. They are just as much to blame as the parents with how they let garbage pass as food. Poor people end up stuck eating absolute garbage fast food whether it be the cheapest route to feed the kids or they just don't have the time to cook after working two or three jobs.

There needs to be healthy fast food alternatives. Anyone gonna get in on this franchise with me?

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Good, parents like these really need to grow up and get to work on their families rather then themselves.

stupid

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I side with the county on this one.Let me put it this way. I am a 24 year old man. I weigh 200 pounds.

A third grader weighing as much as a full grown man...There is no real reason that she be happening.

This kids parents have failed so I do agree with the country stepping in and doing what the parents failed to.
edit on 27-11-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I dont think it is right to take the kid away. Maybe more help should have been offered to the family..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join