It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the problem with cloned meat?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Seriously?! I keep seeing people freaked out or angry at the idea of cloned meat and I can't seem to find any true negative. I mean according to this

www.catalogs.com...

The safety of cloned animals as food has not been tested

Now some will say , if that's true , how do you know it's not bad? Well how to you know it's not good? Why are you automatically assuming that it must be dangerous because it's new technology? It Seems
alot of fear mongering and Anti-intellectualism to me

Take this website for example and look at some of the comments

www.yumsugar.com...

Why do we need to clone cows?

You mean other then stuff like Food Shortages and the fact many people in the world go to bed hungry every night? Other then that no reason at all.

i don't think its about drinking the milk, i just don't approve of cloning cows!!! or anything for that matter. can we stop trying to "play god"? Humans suck.

That's right , folks. Advancement in technology , that's why human's suck. Not War or Racism or Slavery or Sexism , no Technological innovation is the problem. Society would be much better off without Electricity or Penicillin. Sure Science has given us a longer life-span , all but cured Polio and ended the second world war but is your life really better because of any of those things?

No way. I don't want cloned meat. I don't want cloned anything. Even if it does taste the same.

Thank you for your Deeply intelligent and well thought out anti-clone argument. I'm sure you studied all the scientific research out there to come up with the fact that you simply don't want any clones ever. Your reasons for this? Well you don't have any but thanks for posting anyway.

I would never buy milk that I knew was cloned. That's just not natural to me.

Oh it's not natural to you? Great. You know what else isn't natural The Internet or Computers but you seem fine with those. Strange , Huh? Unless you live in some part of the world where computers grow naturally in the woods and you go out there to collect them to sell at your local market . Perhaps you live on some sort of computer farm where they grow all natural organic computers. I don't know where that place is but apparently you live there.

I know I went off on a bit of rant there but I can't help it. When I see people panicking at scientific advancements with no real evidence as to why it's bad , i just t makes me lose even more faith in humanity.

So does anyone have any reports or actual evidence as to why Cloned Meat is bad? I've been unable to find anything conclusive.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I don't see a problem in eating cloned meat...but, why do we have to clone them? It's not like they are actually grown in a test tube in a lab somewhere. I would think the cost would be much higher to have many cows artificially inseminated by labs than to just release a bull into the pasture and let them create life naturally. Just my opinion though.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

S&F!!

I am so glad that someone finally sees the light! It all comes down to what chemical you are ingesting, and people don't understand that cloning is the duplication of a series of organic structures. A cloned cow should be exactly the same in every way from a "normal" cow, taste-wise, nutritional-wise, and in every other imaginable aspect.

It's not like scientists are mixing chemicals in a tube during cloning! You don't just mix a bunch of random terrible things and create life, dammit. It's just as natural and "organic" as what was cloned.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
We aren't exactly experts at cloning yet, there are a lot of "failures" compared to "successes". Have you seen the videos of the chickens in coups being rounded up for processing? Did you notice the left over chickens that didn't make the cut? Many times, the cloning process wind up with animals in the same state, if they make it out of the womb.

Risks of Cloning

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Well quality is not affected, however the main purpose would be quantity. That could possibly help solve some hunger issues. And over time, the cost really is not much different I would assume. After the initial process of doing the actual science involved, the newly cloned animal can lead practically the same life as any other animal, thus not really needing any extra attention.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

But also, scientists are so restricted to being able to do much cloning research. People are too afraid of what they do not understand. If scientists were given more funding and social acceptance to cloning, just perhaps we could become cloning "experts"

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Well I can't speak for everybody but I myself am tired of Science messing with my food. Look at all the problems its caused so far? Every Preservative and Additive has been passed by the FDA claiming its healthy and good for us.......YET and STILL people are dropping like flies from being obese, having diabetes and various cancers to which not all but many if not MOST are due to the products we drink and eat.

Maybe thats why? But hey what do I know.....I don't have any fancy degrees to have made me smarter!

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I ask this question simply because I don't know, but what is the difference in "production" time for a cloned cow vs. a natural-born cow?

In other words, how much faster does a cloned animal make it to market than a "real" cow?

Also, I may be willing to eat cloned meat but we have no evidence to what effects it may have. Before we make a decision either way, shouldn't we know if there are any "side-effects"?
edit on 27-11-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Did you SEE Dolly?!?! What's the problem with cloned meat!?!???

How about you start at the beginning. The problem with REGULAR MEAT. Chicken feed is filled with arsenic. Cows can't eat around their #, and so they get pumped with it too. Pigs eat any and everything, so they're use bad to eat from jump. And GOD knows what's in the water, so fish are questionable, in ADDITION to the mercury.....

If you have to make a thread like this about something people may be EATING that in itself should indicate that we have a big problem here.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I honestly think the issue isn't with the meat so much as "moral" issues from religious groups. We are playing god by creating life. We are all evil, the animals we create are evil and so the meat must also be evil.
If god meant for us to eat cloned meat he would have just made more animals himself.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept

Well quality is not affected, however the main purpose would be quantity. That could possibly help solve some hunger issues. And over time, the cost really is not much different I would assume. After the initial process of doing the actual science involved, the newly cloned animal can lead practically the same life as any other animal, thus not really needing any extra attention.

No, quality would def not be affected in my opinion either, but, why do something in a lab, when you can just let nature take its course? I don't believe for a second that letting a bull into the pasture would even come close to costing as much as taking the cows eggs, taking her DNA, injecting the DNA into the egg (or however they do it), and monitoring it to make sure it takes. I have a couple of friends who are cattle farmers and trust me, it isn't time consuming work.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept
reply to post by satron

But also, scientists are so restricted to being able to do much cloning research. People are too afraid of what they do not understand. If scientists were given more funding and social acceptance to cloning, just perhaps we could become cloning "experts"

I don't understand why people are against it either. I mean, there are many unnatural processes in the development of food today, why does cloning of animals seem less appetizing?

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

See, but that is exactly the point. Chemically, the animal will be 100% organic and natural. It is "fake" I suppose you could say... but only .0000000001%? I mean, it's not natural as we may know it, however out of all the scientific processes, this would be the absolute closest to natural as I can think of.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

And that is totally true, why spend time to do extra work for an outcome that mimics the easier way? Well, if there ever was a cattle shortage in an area lets say, instead of transporting cows from another area that may be a days' drive away and making them lose out, just grab up some embryos, pump em up with some DNA juice and let the scientists fix the problem. I don't think it is necessary to replace "natural" growth, but it certainly is nice to have that option available, and maybe even employ it in places that commonly experience natural famine and food shortages and what not.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

The only way it isn't natural is the way it is conceived.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
LOL. Okay well you guys eat all the cloned meat as possible while I eat the natural stuff. I don't think messing with nature should be done. Let it be how it is. We still don't know the long term effects of cloned animals and many of them die quicker than normal animals. Like I said, I will have my burger from a real cow, you guys go ahead and enjoy the fake stuff.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
After doing a quick read on the subject, I fail to see the advantage of cloning animals over natural reproduction.

Both process' have issues such as defects and disease, but the embryo growth time is not altered.

I can agree that the science may produce some great information that can be used in many different areas, but I don't see how this is a viable alternative that will alleviate world hunger problems. We have enough food now to feed every human on Earth, governments and business' simply choose not to do so.
edit on 27-11-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
I honestly think the issue isn't with the meat so much as "moral" issues from religious groups. We are playing god by creating life. We are all evil, the animals we create are evil and so the meat must also be evil.
If god meant for us to eat cloned meat he would have just made more animals himself.

Way off topic I am sorry but I am tired of hearing this, seen similar post like this before in several topics.
Speak for yourself,You may be evil, I am certainly not evil. Do not include the whole human race to a handful of scientists.You are calling yourself evil, so why do you care about what "God" thinks or does? That eliminates your "moral" issue, Cause evil people do not have morals. I am really sorry webpirate to use this post as an example, just again really tired of looking at we all are evil crap again.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SmashPapayaKC

Sorry. I think you misunderstood. I was trying to say that there are too many people who are viewing the whole cloning issue this way. Because it isn't "natural."
I think we actually agree about that matter. I was being sarcastic. I personally see no issues with cloned meat in general.

edit on 27-11-2011 by webpirate because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by davereality
LOL. Okay well you guys eat all the cloned meat as possible while I eat the natural stuff. I don't think messing with nature should be done. Let it be how it is. We still don't know the long term effects of cloned animals and many of them die quicker than normal animals. Like I said, I will have my burger from a real cow, you guys go ahead and enjoy the fake stuff.

As stated earlier, the only way it is different is how it is conceived. That is the same as saying that a baby born by artificial insemination isn't a "real" baby. But, thank you, I will eat all the meat you don't want.

Edit: Saw you live in the states. Here is a quote you might find interesting. I would like to hear how you are going to avoid all the unnatural meat.

"There’s no way for the consumer to know whether they’re getting cloned meat or their offspring," said Will Rostov, a senior attorney at the Center for Food Safety, a agricultural advocacy group.

edit on 27-11-2011 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join