It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left Handed, Right mind!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Hi ATS,

I am making this thread about left handed people. I was unsure of what forum to put this under so feel free to move.
I also did a search and there are a few left handed threads
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

But none seemed to be all that complete. And info is really hard to find. So I am going to try and put a list of some "Left Handed" facts together for all of us to see. And if anyone has some fun facts to add, that would be great!

Ok so lets start:

Here are some quick facts I found about lefties:

Make up between 5% and 10% of the population (depending on who you ask)
More likely to have allergies
More prone to migraines
More likely to be insomniacs
Use the right side of the brain the most
Three times more likely to become alcoholics – the right side of the brain has a lower tolerance to alcohol!
More likely to be on extreme poles of the intelligence scale
Tend to reach puberty 4 to 5 months later than right handers
More likely to suffer stuttering and dyslexia
Twice as likely to be a man Better at 3D perception and thinking
Better at multi-tasking
Live on average 9 years less than right handed people
39% more likely to be homosexual

Link

It is worth learning about left handed facts showing that it is likely to be genetic. It's not something you choose, you were born that way.
There are claims that whichever hand the fetus holds closest to its mouth in the womb will determine which will be the dominant hand in a person's life.
Researchers have also linked the LRRTM1 gene to be linked to being left handed.
There is a theory called the Vanishing Twin Theory which claims that left handed individuals were originally in the womb with an identical twin. The right handed twin then failed to develop, leaving its leftie sibling to face the world alone. This theory is in question, but as a left handed person, if you feel like you're missing your "right hand man," there may be something to this theory.

Link

Being a Lefty my whole life has had some challenges. I remember learning how to write in elementary school and I had to get a special holder for my pencil, not like the righties and the teacher had many for them to learn.

I am a very Left hand dominant person as well. I do everything left handecd.

• 50% use a computer mouse with their right hand
• 68% use their right hand when handling scissors
• 74% use their right hand to wield a steak knife.

More little-known left handed facts are that 25% of the Apollo astronauts have been left handed. That’s 250% more than the normal level of left handedness in any group. Of the 5 designers of Macintosh computers, 4 of them were lefties! Men are two times more likely to be lefties than women are. While the general population may be 15% left handed, MENSA membership is populated to 20% left handed people.

Link

One thing I learned recently, is Left Handers have our own day Aug. 13th

When: Always on August 13th If you are a Leftie, Then Left Handers Day is just for you!

Link

Are you a lefty? Do you want to know how left handed you are? well then check this out.....
Lefty Test

The word left in English comes from the Anglo-Saxon word lyft, which means weak or broken. The Oxford English Dictionary defines left-handed as meaning crippled, defective, awkward, clumsy, inapt, characterized by underhanded dealings, ambiguous, doubtful, questionable, ill-omened, inauspicious, and illegitimate.b

Herbert Hoover is believed to be the first left-handed president, though James Garfield could write Greek with the left hand and Latin with the right.

Link

Honestly I love being a lefty. Which is why I wanted to make a thread about it!
Although the world is made for Right handed people, I feel at this day and age some prefer it.

I really enjoyed making this thread and even learned some other new things along the way. All the links I have provided will give you many many more fun facts about lefties.

If you think I left anything important out, or something new I would appreciate you adding it.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
i have noticed that a lot of lefty's are ambidextrous, like being able to play a right handed guitar, or use a right handed baseball glove, or switch hit..

weird stuff

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by spaceg0at

I knew a few lefty friends that could do that. Not me though. I am as left handed as most people are right handed.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I am a lefty,although,after the age of 8 anything new I learned I would use my right hand.
Like,throwing a frisbee,I can only do it righthanded.
I can only throw a ball lefthanded.
I can swing a golf club with both hands,but do better right than left.
Good thread.
S&F

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I have discovered the world of lefties through my son, who is 5. I first noticed his left-handed dominance as an infant, and it stuck. He can do many things ambidextrously. I do notice that he writes only with his left, but he will almost always cut with scissors with his right hand. He uses both hands equally when playing sports (holding a bat for baseball, a racket for badminton, etc..). However, when throwing a ball (or anything for that matter) he always throws with his left hand.

He is EXTREMLY creative and amazingly artistic. I love the way his mind thinks. So glad to have a little lefty!

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bastet11

When I was a kid, it was different, but it was one of those "fun" differences.
I am also the only lefty in my family. My parents were very supportive and encouraged it.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I really liked this fact:

Researchers postulate that the proportion of left-handers has remained constant for over 30,000 years

Link

It really is amazing how that happens.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

5 out of the last 7 US presidents have been left-handed. The ones who aren't are George W. Bush and Jimmy Carter

top topics

join