It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen King's Bag Of Bones

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Earlier tonight, I caught a quick glimpse of the end of a commercial for this 2-night mini-series, but I didn't catch the date. I did a quick search, and came across something very interesting...

[color=B5A977]Dark Score Stories is a website, that is a prequel for the 'Bag Of Bones' mini-series.
Apparently, but not surprisingly, the small town of Dark Score has quite a dark past.

In my opinion, having a prequel website is a great idea. Personally, if I know I'm going to watch it, then I don't want to see any previews for it. However, sometimes it is nice to have a feel for the characters beforehand, which is what this website does..... for those like me, who have not read the book.

The website begins about a year before the movie, with a photojournalist who visited Dark Score, hoping to get a glimpse into that dark past from some of the locals. There seems to be many things about the past, that local Dark Score residents do not speak of.

There are eight separate short descriptive articles, from this journalist. Each describing a different person and/or a different part of the town.

Such as Edgar Owen, and his [color=B5A977]Darkland Music Store.

Or shop-owner [color=B5A977]Gerald Lean.
"One man's trash is another man's treasure."

But that is not all. The short descriptive article is just an introduction to the characters, from the journalist. There is also an audio track from the characters, that coincides with a slideshow of around 10 images, of each character and/or their locations.

This↓ is the end of the first short article by the photojournalist.

[color=5CFFC3]"Look closely within and beyond my images and commentary. May you glean meaning there.

And may you see and hear what I could not, when I visited the dark shores of Dark Score. Beware the siren's song. Beware the lake."

Now this is where it starts getting interesting. There are hidden clues throughout the website. I have now spent more time typing this, than on that site, so I have not yet found much.

[color=9BFF05]I don't wanna spoil it, so if you are interested and want to look for the clues on your own, then read no further.

[color=1FFF17]If you wanna join, then come along. Also, I ask nicely- Please no search engine. I am sure most (if not all) of the answers could be found with a search engine, but the interesting part is the journey.

Author Michael Noonan

Artist Jo Noonan

Like I said, I haven't found much yet, but this is what I have found so far.

Using each letter from the left side column of the first article, spells:
[color=94B8FF]Go Down Left Side

Each of the 8 different sections has a title, a location, and name(s).
The [color=94B8FF]3rd line of each, is the letters from the left side.
They do not all make sense yet, but.....
◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
1. Through the lens
Dark Score Lake - A Photo Essay
[color=94B8FF]Go Down Left Side

◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
2. Claustrophobia
Bookstore - Michael Noonan
[color=94B8FF]Dark Score Com BOB
Bob = Bag Of Bones

◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
3. Haunted
Lakehose Studio - Jo Noonan
[color=94B8FF]b i t l y j g g v a r f

◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
4. Reverberations
Darkland Music - Edgar owen
[color=94B8FF]Nineteen After B
19 letters after B = V??

◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
5. Holy Ground
Chizmar Memorial Cemetary - Brenda Meserve
[color=94B8FF]A Primed Pump

◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
6. Another Man's Treasure
Heart's Desire - Gerald Lean
[color=94B8FF]Dot Dash Dash

◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
7. Fresh Meat
Village Cafe - Buddy Jellison and Audrey Michaels
[color=94B8FF]Dead Spaces

◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
8. Dark Farewell
Dark Score Lake - Lance, Mattie, and Kyra Devore
[color=94B8FF]Ettu Square

◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
I have not looked at any of the pictures very closely, but I am sure there is much to be found.
80 pictures, with a 'Zoom' feature to scroll around the image.

◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
Also, there are missing letters(typos) in the 7th article:
7. Fresh Meat
[color=94B8FF]b i t l * r a r e u r g e r
b i t l
rare
urger

↑That is in order, but I may have missed some, or may have even added an extra, or maybe not.
I think there is a 5th one, but I'm not sure what the word is supposed to be.
End of the second paragraph: " .....secret das."
das?

If you have read this far, then you must be somewhat interested. So even if I'm not making any sense, you may still want to check out the site and the movie.

edit on 11/27/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Stephen king is about as scary as a sack of wet nails.

Also his stories are a little off the wall and far fetched.

The green mile was about his only work I've ever enjoyed.
all he does is ride in the coattails of his earlier success.

Don't get me wrong he has a couple of good books. Anything they turn into film is absolute garbage.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

I cannot help but to be amused by your passionate irrelevance.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I don't know, I seen the commercial for this the other day. Couldn't help but ask myself aloud "is this guy not retired yet"? And also "Ffs not another terrible Stephen king concoction".

Seriously. This will be hokey as hell. I can already tell that this will probably play out like a supernatural soap opera. Everyone in the town has a hidden agenda and a secret. There will be love interests and affairs. Someone will get murdered here and there. There will be ghosts. The lake is haunted. I just summarized the whole series.

This genre has been done to death.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
regardless of what people thing of Steven King he is a god in writing. i have seen all of his moves but havent read any of his books as they are just a little to long. i am glad you posted about this show because i want to see it now. but i guess i got to check out this site you are talking about to get the back story.

right on good deal

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000

This genre has been done to death.
Maybe so, but I'd rather watch new characters in a story done in a similar style, as opposed to watching yet another remake of a superhero movie.

reply to post by NISMOALTI

Originally posted by NISMOALTI

.....but i guess i got to check out this site you are talking about to get the back story.
I kinda doubt that it is a necessity. It will probably start out confusing, regardless of whether or not you go to that site.

I just like the whole idea of it. Brings in another aspect that it usually not available.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I just have to say, no ones twisting your arm to watch or read anything by SK - I happen to like SK and I'm looking forward to it. I don't mean to be mean or get on a pedestal or anything like that, I just have to wonder why you'd feel the need to point out that you don't like SK... you're not going to change our minds.

On the other hand, I can agree with you that SOME of SK sucks. With such an extensive body of work, odds are he's going to hit and miss at some point. So, while I also loved Shawshank Redemption, I hated Rose Red - While I loved The Mist, Desperation was not so hot.

You should also admit, he does have some incredibly awesome titles under his belt. Stand By Me? The Green Mile? The Shining? Dreamcatcher? Christine? The Dead Zone? Children of The Corn?? and oh I love me some Langoliers! the list goes on and on and on

reply to post by NISMOALTI

Don't feel bad about not reading the books, I read lots of them and saw the movies. Quite a few of the movies are better than the books, and some are not quite there, but still well told.

Good examples of movies being better, are Misery and Pet Semetary - while both miss things that were in the book, the movies are just better in that they get to the point. These particular books were slow reads for me. Way too much description, not enough plot. I think I spent 6 months on Misery the first read through.... nothing captivating about it, as opposed to say.. Insomnia, which I read in less than 2 days!

Good examples of books being better, are Thinner and Needful Things. Though the movies were worth watching, neither of them really carried the creepy nuances that the books did. I think they came across as almost comical.

I actually stopped reading when I became an internet addict
thanks gawd for movies!

BC! Thanks for the thread, I almost forgot about this coming up - all the previews I've seen so far say "coming in december" with no date... if I catch the date I'll let you know ♥

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Feel the need to post that sk sucks?? Because this is an open forum on the internet and as such I am allowedto comment on here as long as I follow the t&c. Which I have.

Lol

What can I say? Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has one.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Stephen king is about as scary as a sack of wet nails.

Today. Back in the 70's some of his work, Salem's Lot, Cujo, were pretty scary. Remember, this was before the hack 'em up movies of the 80's.

Also his stories are a little off the wall and far fetched.

Most of them are. That's what makes them fun.

Don't get me wrong he has a couple of good books. Anything they turn into film is absolute garbage.

Not true. Watch The Stand. He wrote the screenplay. This movie was good AND it was made for TV.
Also The Shawshank Redemption was GREAT!

To the OP, you really liked that book, didn't you?

I may have missed the link but here it is anyway:

www.imdb.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I liked the stand until he incorporated too much religious belief into the end. The hand of god stopping a nuke??? I dunno what else to say besides lol.

Its almost Asif he had this great story but didn't know how to end it. Oh I know ill just say that god did it. Lol

Any author who has to resort to that in my opinion lacks real creativity. I'm not religious and believe me I don't mind biblical reference but come on leave a little to be desired

I liked dean Koontz book the taking. He uses the thought of possible biblical prophecy while leaving the question of whether it was or not.

Kujo? ? Lol I have had encounters with real vicious dogs that were much scarier.I find he does this alot. Takes genuine fears people have and puts am unrealistic or boring spin on it.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I liked the stand until he incorporated too much religious belief into the end. The hand of god stopping a nuke??? I dunno what else to say besides lol.

Actually the hand of god ignited the nuke.

You don't like him, fine. Please don't bring those of us that do down.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Not bringing anyone down. Just offering a different viewpoint and being a critic is all.

I get told that my taste is music is garbage by pretty much everyone even though I never asked for their opinion but I don't sit there crying into my beer bottle or putting a gun in my mouth. Can't bring me down over something so trivial
That's not even what I'm attempting here.

I'm merely providing a different viewpoint.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

all the previews I've seen so far say "coming in december" with no date...

December 11. On 'A&E'
I didn't type it anywhere, but it is on the 1st pic.

To the OP, you really liked that book, didn't you?
I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. I think so, but just not sure. I'm too lazy to read lol. Maybe what you think is from the book, is actually from the Dark Score Stories Website/Prequel. That website, and it's hidden clues, are the reason I posted this.

but I don't sit there crying into my beer bottle or putting a gun in my mouth....
I guess this↑ means you're a fan of Country Music? I'm sorry.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I just finished watching Bag of bones and i really liked it.I don't have much to say,i think it was a good adaptation,the cast was good(Pierce Brosnan was perfect as Noonan),i loved the music and to sum up i enjoyed it very much.

And because i'm a geek
, i noticed in this picture ,the two books "sharkmeat pie" and 'Misery's love" are from the the main characters of "The dark half"(George Stark) and "Misery"(Paul Sheldon).

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
STEPHEN KING'S BAG OF BONES Part 2 Review >>>www.craveonline.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

I saw you had commented yesterday, but I didn't watch it until last night. I figured I better be safe, and not look at your comment, in case you had mentioned any details that I didn't wanna know yet.

I assume you had read the book already, and for the most part, knew what was going on? I wasn't exactly sure what was going on for most of it, but that's what I like→ confused, but still interested.

I didn't actually like the original 'incident' though. None of them agreed with what he was doing, but they still assisted because he told them to. They shoulda just kicked his ass long ago when they were young, but I suppose that would be a boring story lol.

There were a few little details near the end that kinda ticked me off a lil, but overall, I liked it. I might even watch it again, later on.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

I read the book about 10 years ago,so i rememberd the basic storyline,but not the details.BTW i would never give too much info and spoil it for someone who haven't watched it yet.

I didn't actually like the original 'incident' though. None of them agreed with what he was doing, but they still assisted because he told them to. They shoulda just kicked his ass long ago when they were young, but I suppose that would be a boring story lol.

He was the big bully of the town,they were afraid of him.If they had stopped him then or kicked his ass later,we would only watch Mike crying over his dead wife for 4 hours

Anyways glad that i wasn't the only one who enjoyed it.According to the online reviews it's a garbage,so for a while i thought there was something wrong with me

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

Anyways glad that i wasn't the only one who enjoyed it.According to the online reviews it's a garbage,so for a while i thought there was something wrong with me

I suppose you could look at it that way, or maybe there is just something wrong with me too.

What I liked was that it kept me guessing, but still wasn't too far out there.

I was starting to think that the end was gonna make me mad though. The very end, during the last 20-30 seconds, I was thinking '[color=FF9669]No. No. No. You better not. Don't you do it, man. Don't do it!!' Even after the screen went black, it would have only taken 1 second to flash back to him behind her with an evil look. I was expecting it, but I didn't wanna see it lol.

Trying not to give much away(just because), but I think you'll know what I mean.
edit on 12/15/11 by BrokenCircles because: Canoe

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

It was sooo nerve braking.Will he do it or not.Sometimes he had this look,like he was gonna kill the kid,but as always they lived happily ever after.
Pftt i hate happy endings

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Yeah,The Green Mile was about he only flic made from one of his books that was'nt a downright insult! the books are of course always better,cus much of the detail he goes into,cannot translate on screen..Bag of Bones is my fave book of his,along with It and The Green Mile..i did'nt even know it was being made into a flic..i.ll be sure to catch that one on dvd.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join