It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Murdoch Under Investigation - News Corp. Bribery Of Australian Politicians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Another Murdoch Under Investigation

Lachlan Murdoch Investigated Over Involvement In News Corp. Bribery Of Australian Politicians

CANBERRA, Australia -- A former Australian senator said Friday that Rupert Murdoch's eldest son was present when a News Corp. executive allegedly offered him favorable newspaper coverage and "a special relationship" in return for voting against government legislation.

The Australian Federal Police are investigating former Sen. Bill O'Chee's allegations about Murdoch's media empire, which has been shaken for months by a separate British scandal over hacked cellphone messages.

O'Chee told The Associated Press on Friday that Lachlan Murdoch, then a senior News Corp. executive, was at the table during crucial parts of his discussion with Malcolm Colless, then director of corporate development for News Ltd., News Corp.'s Australian subsidiary.

O'Chee alleges that Colless offered him inducements during a lunch on June 13, 1998, to vote against his conservative government's legislation on the creation of digital TV in Australia. News Corp. stood to profit from the legislation failing.

Does this family has ANY integrity or honesty? I wonder how long it will take Americans to wake up to what sleazeballs these Murdochs are. Phone and email hacking, bribery, and 24-hour right-wing propaganda in place of actual news.

As bad as it might seem in the UK and Australia with these scandals, I don't think the Murdochs have extended their dominion over government officials nearly as much as they have here in the USA.

Murdoch - the godfather of the disinformation age!

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I have been very critical of the mainstream corporate press for many years, due to their blatant abuse of power and ability to create the events they even report on.
They seem to operate on almost the same basis as government alphabet agencies in their surveillance of individuals, which of course gives them leveraged support for their own agendas, as well as maintaining access to the corridors of power. Heck, I'm sure the alphabet agencies, or factions within them, collude with these media organisations too, to help maintain their own agendas, whether it runs in the national interest or otherwise.

Recent events in the UK seem to be now be focusing attention on other tabloid rags, as well as those owned and run by the Murdochs. I personally hope the whole lot of them get prosecuted for the decades of surveillance and harrassment they have dished out to get a story, which most people just couldn't give a hoot about anyway. If I were to set myself up following our local MP, rifling through his garbage, following him everywhere, carrying out a 24x7 sueveillance operation, I'd end up in prison!

The harrassment of "celebrities", which seems to be the main focus of these enquiries, is I feel only the tip of the iceberg, leaving unsaid the potential for political motivation of such operations.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
It was only a matter of time that the Murdoch's dirty laundry would be aired elsewhere.

This could be the beginning of a flood of similar stories coming out.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Corruption as usual.

It'd be great if any of these charges, claims and circumstances had any chance of leading to a jail term or honesty in the media. Like bent politicians, these people never go away and justice is rarely *seen* to be done.

Without wanting to appear vindictive, I hope Murdoch Snr lives to see his name and empire disgraced by scandal and criminal prosecutions. I hope it brings down the bent police and politicians too.

Is it impossible to run a media empire that isn't corrupt or corrupting? What depresses me is that most of the Murdoch media is only giving a big part of western society what they want. The bleak side of human nature would find another vendor for the same old BS.

In the UK, his papers are still selling after hacking the phones of murdered kids...

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I reckon there should be a royal commission into this family and their media organisations.

Further; I rekon the commission should consist of a group of commissionaires drawn from a group of international lawyer who volunteer for the job but who are drawn by public ballot using a lotto style machine and done in front of a public audience.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Well, well, well - look at what we have here.

With little bro' James under the electron microscope and rapidly losing credibility and support, old man Murdoch ducking and weaving the crosshairs - we now have pin-up boy Lachlan under investigation... hmmm??

Lets hope that O'Chee has corroborative evidence and is prepared to carry this through... the Murdoch empire may have seen it's better days.

top topics

join