It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Huge Problem With Ron Paul

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I'm a huge Ron Paul fan, but there's one position of his that I can't get by. He's for deregulation, but that's what allowed the financial collapse to happen. The loosened regulations allowed the financial institutions to engage in risky business practices, which gave them more money to bribe our political system with and further eat away at it from the inside.

So Ron Paul gets elected, and he deregulates the financial industry. Then what? Bankers do the same things they've been doing, get richer, and cause another collapse down the road? Or do they go bankrupt, not get bailed out, and just have to shut down? Will the dollar being backed by gold have an affect on these practices?

This is one big flaw that I see with him, but maybe another part of his platform accounts for this.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
You actually answered your own question in paragraph #2. If there is deregulation truly "Ron Paul" style, then the bankers won't want to blow up the system because this time they WON'T get bailed out. That behavior would be suicide. But I don't think Ron Paul is for total deregulation - I believe he has mentioned reinstatement of Glass-Stegall.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
To my knowledge Ron Paul is for reinstatement of Glass Steagall. It also worth mentioning that in 1999 Paul was against the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act which in effect repealed the Glass–Steagall Act.

I guess it is also worth mentioning that if there was no such thing as fractional reserve banking, there would be no need for the Glass Steagall act either.
edit on 27-11-2011 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Is the Federal Reserve a "non-profit" organization? I hardly think so, and they are not a government agency. Why then do they not pay taxes? It is all ghost money, no real substance, but we treat it as it has value. The Fed needs to be taxed and it needs to be accountable. I see that as a way to avoid the deregulation scam games, if some accountability is kept in-place.

Back a couple decades we deregulated the savings and loan companies, took away the safeguards against fraudulent lending or lending with no collateral or other backing. The sharks jumped on that and made loans to all their cronies with no expectations of receiving payment of the loans. Many got away scot-free by claiming they were not lending fraudulently, just making bad business decisions.

Deregulation without accountability is a scam, but deregulation does not mean it need be totally without any kind of regulation at all. If done correctly it can be a good thing. We need to get rid of some types of regulation outside banking - med/pharma industry for instance. Those regulations have strangleholds against better practices. We cannot approve natural substances for medical use because no company will put up the money for testing and approval for a substance they cannot patent and profit (excessively) from. Total deregulation would mean putting any kind of dangerous poison out for public consumption.

There must be a proper middle ground - in-fact I would prefer something wide-open to what we have now and let watchdog organizations give their nod to those meds that work and hold those accountable for the damage done to those they poison instead of pointing back to the long approval process as having done all they were required to do. Caveat emptor is better policy than prohibitive exclusionary regulations.

Overall I believe deregulation is good, but when a highly regulated body has all present regulations lifted at once then there is a very large danger for scams.

edit on 27-11-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Then banks deregulate, eventually someone gets greedy and does something stupid, and their company collapses.

The World economy would have survived the major banks collapsing, regional banks mostly did perfectly fine, they would have filled the void.

In an open-market you cannot privatize gains and socialize losses, and you cannot subsidize failure.

Now look what we have.. regulated subsidized zombies with the Government as the puppeteer.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

According to a post on market ticker a while back, he isn't, going by how he voted when someone tabled a bill to reinstate it.

Ron Paul strikes me as someone who read Charles Dickens but thought this was a society to aspire to.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Well put.

I look back at those threads on ATS that are ven diagrams of monsanto/government and goldman sachs/government and I can see clearly why these guys think they can get away with the things they're doing. When we end fascism, we can end their crooked scam.

The only negative is, it won't happen overnight. Ron and his administration need to get the right people at the right places and make damn sure they're not susceptible to getting paid off. Also the battle isn't over at his presidency, we, the people will be riding high after a Paul presidential win and need to keep that momentum going stronger than ever to be recalling all of our elected officials that aren't Constitutionally sound.

I like Ron Paul's message of limited government but we can never achieve it if we must rely on the government to take care of us. Sure, deregulation sounds good on paper but government will always be prone to corruption. The only way to make sure we're not getting circumvented is to get the government out of the way and be self-informed so we can make the right choices.
edit on 28-11-2011 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Ron Paul's views on abortion are very out of line with the libertarian brand he's trying to promote.

Oh and there's his whole racist past...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Well I understand your fear, but I think you misunderstand.

Deregulation only works if you have an actual currency. As we do not have a real currency, and the banks know this; they are willing to bet all your money and theirs away because they can insure it against loss.

Since money is created out of thin air, well you get my drift. However if you move to a Gold/Silver standard then you can deregulate because no bank in their right mind would pull the crap they have been over the last 20 years if there was actually any risk involved.

Furthermore if they did risk it all, and things went bad, they would just go belly up. It would actually benefit the economy than hurt it if you have a real currency.

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Deregulation and an Iron Grip on legislation, which you can use to cheat, eliminate competition and gain access to taxpayer money are not the same thing. In Italy such a modus operandi would be attribuited to the mafia.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by negativenihil
Ron Paul's views on abortion are very out of line with the libertarian brand he's trying to promote.

It's the liberals who are racist. They support affirmative action and genocide of white people.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
I'm a huge Ron Paul fan, but there's one position of his that I can't get by. He's for deregulation, but that's what allowed the financial collapse to happen. .

It wasn't deregulation that caused the mess. It was corruption. The banks and insurance companies took on too much debt because they knew that when the boom times ended they could bribe the politicians into giving them a bailout.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45

It's the liberals who are racist. They support affirmative action and genocide of white people.

That is quite the Ignorant Statement,

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime

That is quite the Ignorant Statement,

The board notes that you have no argument and are reduced to childish namecalling.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
No name calling involved, it was an Ignorant Statement,

In fact the word 'Liberal' has been perverted from it's original definitions

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Deregulation would have been fine without the bailouts. They make stupid decisions, they eventually pay for them and go out of business. The problem was a combination of Deregulation, friendly legislative tweeks, and then bailouts when everything turns sour.

Keynesian Economics do not work.

A free market only works if it is actually free. No safety nets.

My main concern with Ron Paul is his plan to sell off National Parks. I don't trust the private industry to protect our landscape and natural wonders.

He is still the best candidate by far though!

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Deregulation is not the problem, it's federal government intervention that is the problem. The video below is the program which brought the collapse. In a truly free market, these businesses would not have jumped off the bridge with each other. This bastardized system of deregulated corporations that are regulated is non-sense. Remove laws which establish perpetual organizations, remove federal regulation, regulate via local governments and consumer NGO/NFP education groups.

The big question is in figuring out whether or not the federal gov is striving for the destruction of the middle class purposefully, or maybe they are simply stupid/incompetent. Personally, I don't think these guys are stupid. But it is also clear that they wouldn't have so much power if "we" didn't let them.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Are you serious?

Do you know what regulation is?
It's an open door for lobbyists

Also do you know of the people who were part of the financial collapse, their execs got appointed to regulatory bodies?

You gotta do that research
You can't defend regulation without discussing the threat of cronyism.

In fact regulatory bodies = cronyism

Regulatory bodies in a nation with way too much special interest groups is one of the most severe issues the U.S. currently has

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Half right. Liberals are racist, but pro abortion policies are aimed at reducing the black population...not the white population.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Each State can have it's own Regulations.

Was it fair for California to allow 50 million illegal immigrants into their cities.....to get those heads counted for U.S. House of Representative Seats...which got California more Congressman.....and they were able to steal....Appropriate more money for them and rob the other States?

They created regulation to help their stealing of Federal $$$...which hurt the other States.

......Americans are so easy to steal from. They've got no clue whats going on. Federal Regulations were made to steal.

There's very few Federal Regulations which don't involve stealing from someone.

<<   2 >>

join