It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Updated - Cat 4 Ivan (the terrible) heading for Florida

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
So an influx of fresh water would lead to increased evaporation?

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Interesting note on floridatoday.com on a story about Frances...

"Hurricane Ivan -- County emergency workers are being told they will have to stay at the Emergency Operations Center through Tuesday, go home for a couple days, and then come back for Hurricane Ivan."

Link: www.floridatoday.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I just heard on CNN headline news that Ivan is stronger than any recorded storm at its location in the ocean,I am not sure what this means as far as its future strength is concerned, does this mean it has the potential to be the strongest hurricane ever?

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Yeah Indy, that's a good analyzation. Since there's more water and less salt, more evaporation is necessary to return the salt levels back to normal.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Check this out from the NOAA site
"MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 135 MPH...215 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. IVAN CONTINUES TO STRENGTHEN RAPIDLY AND IS CURRENTLY A
CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE... IF THIS INTENSIFICATION PHASE CONTINUES...
IVAN WILL APPROACH CATEGORY 5 STATUS DURING THE NEXT 12 TO 24
HOURS."
Wow

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaStEdDeAtH777
Yeah Indy, that's a good analyzation. Since there's more water and less salt, more evaporation is necessary to return the salt levels back to normal.

umm no, hurricanes are caused by heat, they are to cool the ocean down, hurricanes dont even touch the ocean and therefore cant effect salinity, the water from the ocean is where it gets rain so its not possible to add more water than there already is, the salt stays in the ocean, if you ever tried evaporating water with salt in it you'd see salt left, so what you say is not possible.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
That wasn't what I was wanting to know. It was just an issue of salinity and evaporation. The question was not geared toward the development of hurricanes.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Ivan the Terrible is now a category 4 storm.
It is expected to be a 5 within 24 hours.
It is moving faster than they thought it would.
It may be near South Florida ... oh ... SEPTEMBER 11th!!

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Holy crap!!!! That is just FREAKY!!!!
Actually, maybe we should calm down a bit since nothing has happened yet. I won't get TRULY freaked out unless this hurricane doesn't fizzle, and continues strong, and then hits poor Florida again. And if it hits on 9/11......yeah.....that would be insane! Especially if it's the strongest hurricane ever recorded.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Ok.... I guess I was wrong. So yeah, I have no idea what effect disalinization would have on the oceans.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
all this melee really takes the focus off of Iraq, huh? Coincidence?

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MJW2314
all this melee really takes the focus off of Iraq, huh? Coincidence?

So are you implying government weather manipulation? I suppose it's appropriate as this IS ATS! Who really knows when it comes to HAARP and the like.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
HERE'S the latest 5-day track for IVAN, btw.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Who said the Navy and Airforce were pussys?

The amazing naval hovering hurricane,,,,by Ronco

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
that track is horrifying for florida. Imagine if the storm strengthened to 200 or more mph winds.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
If Ivan goes over Cuba, this will slow it down.

The Keys were spared the last two storms, but this one looks like it may go through the Keys, according to the projection of the above post.

Terrible news for Florida. I wonder how many people will relocate after this hurricane season...........?

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It may not need Cuba to slow down. A hurricane hunter discovered the storm to be much weaker. Sustained winds only 115mph. Down 20mph from last night.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
If another comes after Ivan,would this be real cause for conern, I always thought that even three in this time scale was near damn impossible. I keep having visions of The Day after to-morrow

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Ivan is a going to Puerto Rico and the Antilles I will be watching this one closely, my family live in PR and I will be worry even when I know that the Island is used to this type of weather.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere

Originally posted by WaStEdDeAtH777

umm no, hurricanes are caused by heat, they are to cool the ocean down, hurricanes dont even touch the ocean and therefore cant effect salinity, the water from the ocean is where it gets rain so its not possible to add more water than there already is, the salt stays in the ocean, if you ever tried evaporating water with salt in it you'd see salt left, so what you say is not possible.

If hurricanes are formed to cool the ocean down then there goes my theory out the window as the fresh water i'm talking about would come from that huge ice shelf that broke off a few years ago.
well another thing though is since there is an increased amount of water in the oceans, couldn't that affect storm creation by feeding more vapor to hurricanes?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join