It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The War illusionist.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I searched a few search sites and could not find anything but videos on this guy.I remember watching a TV program about a illusionist in the second world war who made a whole port appear about 20miles away,the next day he even added fake damage to the real port for the recon for germans who where to bomb the port last night could report it as a success(Facts a little sketchy cant remember that well
).

I would love to know more about this guy but I cant find any infomation anywhere!(Maby I am just lazy). I might buy the film based on him,Also I think he was British if that helps. I will still keep searching but I thought I should inlist some help.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vowles
I searched a few search sites and could not find anything but videos on this guy.I remember watching a TV program about a illusionist in the second world war who made a whole port appear about 20miles away,the next day he even added fake damage to the real port for the recon for germans who where to bomb the port last night could report it as a success(Facts a little sketchy cant remember that well
).

I would love to know more about this guy but I cant find any infomation anywhere!(Maby I am just lazy). I might buy the film based on him,Also I think he was British if that helps. I will still keep searching but I thought I should inlist some help.

I think you may be talking about Jasper Maskelyne.

Try this link to start with:
www.channel4.com...

Interesting to read about FX team he put together. Make you wonder what they'd be upto today (I guess that depends upon who they were working for tho
)

(Poke me if I'm wrong tho')

[edit on 5-9-2004 by 0951]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Ah ha!Thank you very much
. I must say he done some amazing things!The mere thought of a magician in the war amuses me. The fact that "He received no decoration or honour in recognition of the part he played" is quiet sad. Wonder if they still do things like this?

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vowles
Ah ha!Thank you very much
. I must say he done some amazing things!The mere thought of a magician in the war amuses me. The fact that "He received no decoration or honour in recognition of the part he played" is quiet sad. Wonder if they still do things like this?

No worries.

It is sad, and in some ways puts me in mind of Alan Turning, another key WWII asset, and still largely unrecognised.

... as to "do they still do things like this" ... A good read through some of the topics on this board will suggest an answer to that.

Seriously tho' - yeah, I'd guarantee it.
Maybe more subtle now - managing news stories, bias in TV shows or websites, that kind of thing.

new topics

top topics

join