It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush ends 60-year-old law pay time-and-a-half for overtime

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
THE GRINCH THAT STOLE LABOR DAY FROM VETERANS
I know you won't believe this, but The U.S. President told a whopper in New York
by Greg Palast

An update of our report from last Labor Day.

Monday, September 6, 2004 - In celebration of the working person's holiday, Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao has announced the Bush Administration's plan to end the 60-year-old law which requires employers to pay time-and-a-half for overtime.

I'm sure you already knew that -- if you happened to have run across page 15,576 of last year's Federal Register.

According to the Register, where the Bush Administration likes to place its little gifts to major campaign donors, 2.7 million workers will lose their overtime pay�for a "benefit" of $1.53 billion. I put "benefit" in quotes because, in the official cost-benefit analysis issued by Bush's Labor Department, the amount employers will now be able to slice out of workers' pockets is tallied on the plus side of the rules change.

President Bush announced in his convention acceptance speech in New York this week that he was changing overtime rules to give workers "comp time" off, instead of pay. He forgot to mention that a couple of days before, on August 23, his Labor Department had already put in half the plan -- eliminating overtime pay for millions -- while failing to put into the regs one word about comp time. In the pre-September 11 days, we used to call what the President said, "lying."

Nevertheless, workers getting their pay snipped shouldn't complain, because they will all be receiving promotions. These employees will be re-classified as managers exempt from the law. The change is promoted by the National Council of Chain Restaurants. You've met these 'managers' - they're the ones in the beanies and aprons whose management decisions are, "Hold the lettuce on that."

NO OVERTIME IN BAGHDAD

My favorite of Chao's little amendments would re-classify as "exempt professionals" anyone who learned their skill in the military. In other words, thousands of veterans will now lose overtime pay. I just can't understand why Bush didn't announce that one when he landed on the aircraft carrier.

Now I should say that, according to Chao's press office, the changes will actually extend overtime benefits to 1.3 million burger flippin' managers. How does that square with the billion dollar "benefit" to business owners? Simple: The Chao hounds at the Labor Department suggest that employers CUT WAGES so that, added to the�new "overtime" pay, the employees won't actually take home a dime more.

I can hear the moaners and bleeding hearts saying this sounds like the Labor Department is telling Big Business how to evade the law. Yep, that's what the Department is doing. Right there on page 15,576 of the Federal Register it says,

"Affected employers would have four choices concerning potential payroll costs: ... (#4) converting salaried employees' basis of pay to an hourly rate that result in virtually no changes to the total compensation paid those workers."

And in case some employer is dense as a president and doesn't get the hint, Comrade Chao repeats, "The fourth choice above results in virtually no (or only a minimal) increase in labor costs."

For decades the courts have thrown the book at cheapskate bosses who chisel workers out of legal overtime by cutting base pay this way -- but now they'll have a new defense: Bush made me do it.

But then, there likely will not�be any cases against employers anyway since�Chao herself is supposedly the labor cop�whose job it is�to stop paycheck theft. She's well qualified for that job. Her resume reads, "Married to Republican Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky." I called her press office to ask if she qualifies for overtime, but they'd left the office early.

And there is good news for our sporting President. Word from the White House is he'll be golfing on the Labor Day weekend. Under Chao's rules he need not worry if he wants to replay that hole. "Exempt professionals" who cannot earn overtime - once defined as doctors, lawyers and those with specialized college degrees - will now include anyone who provides skilled advice ... like caddies ("You might try the other end of the club, Mr. President").

This month, Greg Palast, will release, "Bush Family Fortunes," the 70-minute film on DVD taken from his investigative reports for BBC television. View a 2-minute preview, or order it, at www.gregpalast.com...

[edit on 5-9-2004 by Sauron]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the info and the great website, I bookmarked it. I had signed an online petition against this but it looks like it passed anyway. Too many people did not understand that they would be losing their overtime pay, they won't to believe the rhetoric. And too many people are still wanting Bush back for 4 more years, if he continues the way he is going we will all be owing our souls to the company store.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Too many people did not understand that they would be losing their overtime pay, they won't to believe the rhetoric.

Two many people do not stop and think for too long to see what the government is doing to them. They will applaud this administration for anything it does that it tells that it�s good for them.

It is call brainwashing until they get hit with it and then look around in wonder of why this is happening to them.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Too many people did not understand that they would be losing their overtime pay, they won't to believe the rhetoric.

Two many people do not stop and think for too long to see what the government is doing to them. They will applaud this administration for anything it does that it tells that it�s good for them.

It is call brainwashing until they get hit with it and then look around in wonder of why this is happening to them.

oh so right marg

not being American it makes no difference to me, but at least people here are reading it, I believe it was only 5/% of the populace of New America�s that made the United States of today,

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
So Bush and the Repugnants are screwing the working man again ?
Now why doesn't that surprise me ?

And these people call themselves Christian ?

My arse !

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
You forget, it fits with Bush's tax cuts for the rich - after all, all that time and a half paid in overtime, like taxes, is taking money away from those who really make America prosper: Dick Cheney and his little friends, Ted Turner, Donald Trump, etc.

I mean, how dare these overtime workers prevent those rich and patriotic entrepreneurs from making more money?

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The sad thing is that so many people will still vote for this Administration. I've seen KayEm's mom almost in rapture when watching Dubya on TV - and she has been seriously screwed by the Government and the banks over the last year.
She refuses to do her own research, prefering to take the Govt line and treats Dubya as if he's the risen Christ. (Plus she still believes that the war in Iraq was to do with bin Laden and that Saddam was responsible for 9-11 for fex sake !!!!).

Will people like that ever learn ?

Will they ever think for themselves ?

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
That's because Bush is the Great deceiver the Anti-Christ. :-d It can be the only explanation for what is going on in our country. So much corruption and scandals surrounding Bush yet he will win. He out right lied to the American people on several occasions, and he will still win. He has to be the spawn of Satan!

www.bushisantichrist.com...

[edit on 5-9-2004 by DiRtYDeViL]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
How many people has to work a second job to make ends meet?

Is this second job's pay as 50% higher than the first jobs's pay?

How many families has both parents working to pay bills?

How many workers are getting to work any overtime in the first place?

How many small business owners out there would like to have their workers work a little bit of overtime to meet deadlines, but can't afford to pay the overtime because premiums on group insurance, workmans compensation, unemployment insurance, the higher cost of raw materials, and all overhead has skyrocketed in the last 10 years?

How many people has wanted to work extra hours on their first job to get a little bit of extra income, even if it's for straight time, but are refused because laws that are already in place prevents it?

How many people would like to see lower prices on U.S. manufactured goods, to where they may compete with influx of imports, and may become more affordable?

How many people out there is not looking at the big picture, that this law will benefit us down the road?

How many people aren't willing to sacrifice a little luxury for a stronger economy?

I've always known that one day this type of action would have to happen for our benefit, because the average "American" has gotten lazier (look at the beltline and the problem with obesity), developed the mentality that we have to "keep up with Jones's", and our "give me something for nothing" attitudes has finally caught up with all of us.

We can keep going like we're going and suffer even more in the future or start sacrificing now so things will start to change for the better.

It's boils down to the people folks, and that means us.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Probably should have stopped before this point.

Originally posted by Intelearthling
How many people aren't willing to sacrifice a little luxury for a stronger economy?

And as a closer...not a good idea to call teamsters fat.

I've always known that one day this type of action would have to happen for our benefit, because the average "American" has gotten lazier (look at the beltline and the problem with obesity), developed the mentality that we have to "keep up with Jones's", and our "give me something for nothing" attitudes has finally caught up with all of us.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Probably should have stopped before this point.

And as a closer...not a good idea to call teamsters fat.

I'm not pro-union. Need to pass a law to outlaw them. They are a very much part of our economic woes.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I can't believe an American (however sarcastically) is asking how many Americans have to work two jobs to make a living. I'm not American but jeez, sometimes it seems you need someone like Barney to point out the obvious.

You (officially) currently have 34 million living below the poverty line, or one in eight of the population, and currently have 8.1million unemployed not including the working poor.

But hey, don�t worry.
I�m sure you can grasp some great figures from that if you try hard enough.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Intelearthling... just so you know companies don't pay workers comp on the extra half time of pay. Also it doesn't impact health care premiums. And if I choose to work two jobs to make ends meet that is my choice. And I know if I work two jobs @ 30 hours each I don't get paid 20 hours of overtime. That is my choice. But to allow someone to force me to work overtime and not compensate me/penalize them for it is nuts. You are rewarding them for mismanagement.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
I can't believe an American (however sarcastically) is asking how many Americans have to work two jobs to make a living. I'm not American but jeez, sometimes it seems you need someone like Barney to point out the obvious.

It's not a sarcastic comment. It's quite true.

You (officially) currently have 34 million living below the poverty line, or one in eight of the population, and currently have 8.1million unemployed not including the working poor.

There are many jobs available here. No employers can hire anyone because that anyone is either to good for the job that is being offered or to busy drawing unemployment benefits (knowing good and well that they capable of going to work). For goodness sake's, the newspapers here are crammed full of jobs, but obviously no one's taking them. The same jobs keep appearing in the classifieds for weeks on end.

But hey, don�t worry.
I�m sure you can grasp some great figures from that if you try hard enough.

There are no figures to grasp when you observe these things everyday.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   

How many people has to work a second job to make ends meet?

Is this second job's pay as 50% higher than the first jobs's pay?

How many families has both parents working to pay bills?

How many workers are getting to work any overtime in the first place?

How many small business owners out there would like to have their workers work a little bit of overtime to meet deadlines, but can't afford to pay the overtime because premiums on group insurance, workmans compensation, unemployment insurance, the higher cost of raw materials, and all overhead has skyrocketed in the last 10 years?

How many people has wanted to work extra hours on their first job to get a little bit of extra income, even if it's for straight time, but are refused because laws that are already in place prevents it?

How many people would like to see lower prices on U.S. manufactured goods, to where they may compete with influx of imports, and may become more affordable?

How many people out there is not looking at the big picture, that this law will benefit us down the road?

We can keep going like we're going and suffer even more in the future or start sacrificing now so things will start to change for the better.

It's boils down to the people folks, and that means us.

God, who says that canadians and Euros are the worlds most anti American people?

I have a fellow American right here routing for the same type of rich boy oppresion system that made the Foubnding fathers wanna break away!

Unions should be outlawed? OMG. We have a Buchanon voter right here!

I got a little news for your, sir nimrod.

Products made in china cost the same as products made in the US when they hit the shelf. Go look for yourself. Look at pencils made in America, compare them to chinese ones. Same price.

The only way Americans could compete with cheap imports is if we adopted the same brutal slave labor system these countries have adopted.

You talk about sacrifice? heres a hint: sacrifice your pick up truck. You house with internal plumbing. Your economic plan calls for Americans to live in the same tin can home squalor that the third world lives in.

I am quite glad people like you exist in insiginifigant numbers.

I hope this news of screwing american workers out of their money hits the news big time. See how long this miserable # eating braindead waste of human DNA of a president keeps his lead in the polls...........

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Intelearthling... just so you know companies don't pay workers comp on the extra half time of pay. Also it doesn't impact health care premiums. And if I choose to work two jobs to make ends meet that is my choice. And I know if I work two jobs @ 30 hours each I don't get paid 20 hours of overtime. That is my choice. But to allow someone to force me to work overtime and not compensate me/penalize them for it is nuts. You are rewarding them for mismanagement.

Labor laws state that a person is not required (in my state) to work over 40 hrs. a week. But that's not a decent living unless you're making over a grand a week. Two bedroom with one bath is $900-$1000 a month around here. To me, that's ridiculous for a working family.

[edit on 5/9/04 by Intelearthling]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Intelearthling,

In which US do you live? And obviously you has not been in the job market for to long and either has seen how people can not even plan anymore from retiring from one company any more.

Let's see how you feel in about 20 years from now or when you start facing retirement age 85.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Intelearthling

Right, and 40+ million people are intentionally sitting on there arse doing nothing. I'd like to see the terms you would describe any other western country with 1/8 of the population living in poverty.

Something tells me it wouldn't be a glowing review.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Unions should be outlawed? OMG. We have a Buchanon voter right here!

Unions at one time was a good thing to be formed, but abuses and corruption seeped in, and now, it's organized crime ran by crime bosses.

I got a little news for your, sir nimrod.

I'm not the one with touting horns on my head and praising evil by proclaiming it in my name.

Products made in china cost the same as products made in the US when they hit the shelf. Go look for yourself. Look at pencils made in America, compare them to chinese ones. Same price.

What store are you shopping at to find American goods at the same price as imports? They don't exist around here. When I am lucky enough to find American made goods, I make sure to purchase that product even at a higher price.

The only way Americans could compete with cheap imports is if we adopted the same brutal slave labor system these countries have adopted.

I thought you just said that you could buy American products for the same price as Chinese made products?

You talk about sacrifice? heres a hint: sacrifice your pick up truck. You house with internal plumbing. Your economic plan calls for Americans to live in the same tin can home squalor that the third world lives in.

For what? To appease you? What you're saying is, for us to tear down everything we've built and then rebuild it to substandard requirements?

I am quite glad people like you exist in insiginifigant numbers.

There are TOO many people like you.

I hope this news of screwing american workers out of their money hits the news big time. See how long this miserable # eating braindead waste of human DNA of a president keeps his lead in the polls...........

The American worker will not be getting screwed (a true American worker). It's put up or get out. All ores in the water. If a worker can pull his weight, then he can be compensated. If he can't pull his own weight and choose to be a slacker, then he deserves nothing.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I'm not the one with touting horns on my head and praising evil by proclaiming it in my name.

No you aren't. You probably still pray to an egotistical tribal god and promote the abuse of unbelievers in his name.

What store are you shopping at to find American goods at the same price as imports? They don't exist around here. When I am lucky enough to find American made goods, I make sure to purchase that product even at a higher price.

Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Albertsons, Target,...the list goes on and on.

I thought you just said that you could buy American products for the same price as Chinese made products?

You can. That is, the few American made products left today. However, soon those same price American pencils will disappear as pencil companies realize they can rake in twice the dough making pencils in China.

For what? To appease you? What you're saying is, for us to tear down everything we've built and then rebuild it to substandard requirements?

No, silly! To sacrifice your personal wealth for the better good of the whole country! Seeing how you are supporting laws that will make it even harder for Americans to earn enough money to have this standard of living we so worked for! Dont be greedy! Your paycheck will decline anyway!

There are TOO many people like you.

No, there arent ENOUGH people like me. people who actually care about the well being of Americans, not the delluded ideas of right wing Christian sociopaths who seem to love the ideals of feudalism.

The American worker will not be getting screwed (a true American worker). It's put up or get out. All ores in the water. If a worker can pull his weight, then he can be compensated. If he can't pull his own weight and choose to be a slacker, then he deserves nothing.

How does getting paid overtime count as slacking? Seeing how the true American worker is working more hours than he should, he should get paid. Bush doesnt care about American workers, real or imagined. otherwise, he wouldnt be denying us protection from being overworked. A slacker would be working FEWER hours, not more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join