It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists are the most generous—even without heavenly reward!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Who gives the most to charitable causes? Those who believe in gods or those who don’t?

“Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven…” (Mark 10:21)

“Any charity you give is for your own good. Any charity you give shall be for the sake of GOD. Any charity you give will be repaid to you…” (Koran 2:272)

Charitable behavior gets big perks in the afterlife, according to Christian and Islamic theology. Philanthropy, in these creeds, is a highly profitable long-term investment, a down payment on ecstatic immortality. Quite the bargain!

But atheists? No heaven awaits them. No pearly gates, eager virgins, harping angels, fluffy clouds, or succulent oasis. No reward whatsoever. Atheists have no faith, no expectation of benefit from a deity. So, atheists are probably selfish, right? Pitiless, parsimonious. Totally stingy misers, not passing a penny off to the poor…correct?

WRONG! Atheists, non-believers, secular humanists, skeptics—the whole gamut of the godless have emerged in recent years as inarguably the most generous benefactors on the globe. That’s right. Hordes of heretics are the world’s biggest damned philanthropists. Both individually and in groups, heathen infidels are topping the fundraising charts.

First, the facts.

The current most charitable individuals in the United States, based on “Estimated Lifetime Giving,” are:

1) Warren Buffett (atheist, donated $40.785 billion to “health, education, humanitarian causes”)

2) Bill & Melinda Gates (atheists, donated $27.602 billion to “global health and development, education”)

3) George Soros (atheist, donated $6.936 billion to “open and democratic societies”)

A century ago, one of the USA’s leading philanthropists was Andrew Carnegie, atheist.

Regarding “group efforts”—Kiva.org, the micro-financing organization that has distributed $261 million to people in 61 nations, has “lending teams” that post their generous efforts online. The leading team on November 22, 2011, is “Atheists, Agnostics, Skeptics, Freethinkers, Secular Humanists, and the Non-Religious.” These 18,127 benevolent blasphemers have lent $5,623,750 in 187,920 loans. Their simple motto is: “We loan because we care about the suffering of human beings.”

Trailing behind in the #2 slot are the “Kiva Christians” who have loaned $3,211,250. Their supernatural rallying cry is, “We loan because: Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their misfortune and to keep oneself unstained by the world. (James 1:27)”

I’m gleeful that the irreligious are the most altruistic because I was incessantly told the inverse by credo-worshipping commenters after I published my article “Tax the Churches and Give the Revenue to Hungry Children.” Pious posters informed me that my secular proposal would seriously damage charitable causes, because it would hamper the vast, sublime generosity of the devout. Ha! The numbers above suggest that their contention is just the usual sanctimonious drivel. A favorite slogan of atheists is, “We Don’t Need God To Be Good” and the philanthropy figures I’ve presented indicate that is exactly the case, indeed, we seem to be “BETTER without God.”

In actuality, there are complex difficulties in funding religious organizations; I discovered this five years ago when I donated money to a impoverished tribal village in the Philippines that was being educated, and medically treated, by a Catholic layperson. The tribe had a sickly population of 66 individuals; within two years it had ballooned up to 100, even sicker at this point, with tuberculosis and malnutrition. When I strongly suggested to the Catholic layperson that my next contribution should be a bag of 10,000 condoms, to halt the population explosion, she replied, “Oh no, we are Catholics, we only practice natural birth control.”

Source

The moral of the story: You don't need to have a book from 2000 years ago to have morals. You don't need a God to be generous. It may help YOU, but that doesn't mean everyone else needs that help. I know what is right and wrong, even though I am a Pagan. I know to reach my hand out to those who are suffering, and I know not to murder people. Because morality does not come from God, it comes from empathy with other human beings.
edit on 26-11-2011 by cetaphobic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

The moral of the story: You don't need to have a book from 2000 years ago to have morals. You don't need a God to be generous. It may help YOU, but that doesn't mean everyone else needs that help. I know what is right and wrong, even though I am a Pagan. I know to reach my hand out to those who are suffering, and I know not to murder people. Because morality does not come from God, it comes from empathy with other human beings.

I agree you can have morality without belief in God.. but listing peoples charities does not really tell us much..

maybe tax write offs... who owns the charity and what are the real intentions behind it..might give us a clearer picture on what charities are really used for by the rich.

many charities are just coverups for ulterior purposes. IMHO

edit on 26-11-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
There are people globally....whether they are involved in religion or not....who are very generous.

And when I think about generosity...who really gives more...the very rich person....or the person who is financially poor...and may only have $5.00 to their name...and gives to another person in need $3.00. I think the answer is obvious.

edit on 26-11-2011 by caladonea because: correction

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
well said. i for one am perfectly capable of being a good person without being threatened by fear of going to hell; i'm probably more charitable on a day to day basis than 90% of my church going friends.

i mean seriously, christianity is on the decline anyway. this generation's christians are so passive and although most would claim faith, it's just a kind of rhetorical thing that never ever gets talked about just out of fear of being ostracized by peers/society.

when you see enough of the world the concept of christianity and faith in general just seems so hilariously flawed and silly. now that we have the internet to educate ourselves i don't think it will be long before the only religious folk left are the 'weirdos' in society.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyVelveeta

when you see enough of the world the concept of christianity and faith in general just seems so hilariously flawed and silly. now that we have the internet to educate ourselves i don't think it will be long before the only religious folk left are the 'weirdos' in society.

yes..christians are being mocked for their faith.. and I have done it as well..but..really who cares what other humans think of you.... if an arrogant human would consider that only weirdos have faith in christ.. in the end..does it really matter..?

Christians who care not for the world are much more concerned what Christ thinks..then a lowly human ..especially an arrogant one who assumes he has all the right answers.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

You know who else is mocked for their faith?

EVERY. SINGLE. FAITH.

Paganism, Islam, Judaism, Christians, Atheists, Hindus, Buddhists.
They are all mocked for their faiths.
Largely by Christians!

What makes Christianity so special that it should be free of ridicule?

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic

You know who else is mocked for their faith?

EVERY. SINGLE. FAITH.

Paganism, Islam, Judaism, Christians, Atheists, Hindus, Buddhists.
They are all mocked for their faiths.
Largely by Christians!

What makes Christianity so special that it should be free of ridicule?

really?..how many christians do you actually know? Are they all the same?

I see a lot of mockery done on this site by atheists.

Lets just say many humans of all religions, as well as those of no religion mock...

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Well considering my whole family and many of my friends are Christian, yes I know quite a few Christians and I never said all Christians mock other faiths. You know what else? Not all people of other faiths mock Christians. Whoops it works both ways.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Many of these "charities" actually absorb a great deal of their donations in admin fees and what not. They make a shed load of money off the back of peoples generosity.
I don't give to charities for this reason, i know if i give them £10 only £1 will actually go to benefit someone who needs it.

I am a non believer, but i have good morals and do what i can to help others.

Generosity doesnt have to be measured in monetary value.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I don't think that belief has anything to do with generosity. Some people are just more likely to give than others.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy

Many of these "charities" actually absorb a great deal of their donations in admin fees and what not. They make a shed load of money off the back of peoples generosity.
I don't give to charities for this reason, i know if i give them £10 only £1 will actually go to benefit someone who needs it.

I am a non believer, but i have good morals and do what i can to help others.

Generosity doesnt have to be measured in monetary value.

Exactly my point.. giving of clothing .. household items..and just your time in helping can often help families very much.

I think humans as a whole do want to help others if they have the means to do so.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic

Well considering my whole family and many of my friends are Christian, yes I know quite a few Christians and I never said all Christians mock other faiths. You know what else? Not all people of other faiths mock Christians. Whoops it works both ways.

I totally agree.. and there are people within those faiths who mock others of the same faith.. but a different sector.

This is done by christians as well as jews, buddhists etc..etc..

but to say in your OP that atheists are the most generous..is rather misleading..

Like caledonea pointed out.. someone giving much..who has very very much.. does not really show the greatest generosity. Those who have little but are willing to give and share of what little they have shows true generosity in my eyes.

edit on 26-11-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Is it fair to judge the Christian faith in a comparison of works? The Christian faith is the single faith in the world that is not based on works. What you do is never the point, but where your heart is. Anyone can be on the curve of statistical morality. The point of being a Christian is recognizing where our being originates and why we give. We don't give to seek reward. This is duplicity, since the reward is what is sought. We don't give to avoid punishment because this is again duplicity. What is really desired is the betterment of self when duplicity is involved. This is the same as seeking reward.

The end game of the Christian faith is not judgment of others either. This is pride. Pride can only elevate the self over others, again taking reward instead of giving. We are charged to not judge others. If we see a Christian seeking reward, trying to avoid punishment or judging others apart from truth and justice, then it is a false belief. True religion comes from faith that gives to others. The faith is not a bestowal of reward to anyone but God. We give to God, not to take for self. True faith is giving apart from receiving in return.

Take a look at the giving Atheist and you will see duplicity. Is the gift given as a way to seek glory for God or for self? This will be true for anyone giving, even the Christian if the intention is not simply the expression of faith. This would be the defining factor in the act. If the gift is for the glory of the one who is receiving the gift, then the honor goes to the one receiving the gift. This is a worthy reason to give, but a neutral reason.

Most people see only good and evil. There is also the choice to be neither good or evil. Some choices are neutral. A Christian, true to his faith, will give to others as a reflection of the gift we have been given--life. In this case, we honor God, the person we give the gift to and ourselves in the act. Honor is the virtue reflected in the act of giving. Honor bring equality and reveals love.

edit on 26-11-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Take a look at the giving Atheist and you will see duplicity. Is the gift given as a way to seek glory for God or for self?

How dare you make such an assumption? The Atheist is just as capable of giving without seeking glory for self. Are you saying that a person cannot give unless it is for the Glory of God. That is an erroneous and narrow-minded view.

If you want duplicity take a look at plenary indulgence. You say Christians give for the Glory of God. You know very little it seems. You paint all Christians with a brush of goodness and everyone else with a brush of self-seeking.

I am afraid the world just is not as black and white as that.

edit on 26/11/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Take a look at the giving Atheist and you will see duplicity. Is the gift given as a way to seek glory for God or for self?

How dare you make such an assumption? The Atheist is just as capable of giving without seeking glory for self. Are you saying that a person cannot give unless it is for the Glory of God. That is an erroneous and narrow-minded view.

If you want duplicity take a look at plenary indulgence. You say Christians give for the Glory of God. You know very little it seems. You paint all Christians with a brush of goodness and everyone else with a brush of self-seeking.

I am afraid the world just is not as black and white as that.

edit on 26/11/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

Christians are the same as Atheists in works. No difference. Like I said, it's an issue of the heart. We are equally flawed. Faith makes the difference.

In life, we all start out at a literal and concrete view of the world and have little understanding of abstract value. At the end of life, we hope that we can look back and value what we accomplished in a way that has meaning on more than a literal level. This requires the trip through the wilderness of our experiences. The moral aspect of life is not uniquely easy for a Christian or overly hard for an Atheist. We are all equally experiencing life. Life happens to all of us. The difference comes from how we see the journey. Are we human beings having a spiritual experience, or are we spiritual beings having a human experience?

If a person is an Atheist, there is only one view. It's a material world with no purpose beyond the lives we touch on a daily basis. The future is where we take our family or world according to the truth we create. The believer has the view that purpose is greater than ourselves. The future has hope beyond the literal world we see. Spiritual understanding requires faith.

Knowing this fact makes us equal in giving. Each takes a faith in the future. Each can express duplicity if giving is for selfish interests. The Atheist is giving for the betterment of the future by works. The Christian is expressing a faith that honors the one who gives us the hope. God requires that the believe love others. God is one of the others to be loved if we see everyone as equally in need of love.

Hebrews 11 says: 1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Yet none of them are pagan

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

What an awesome thread you have here it definitely deserves more attention. In the past few years on here I have been repeatedly told that religious (specifically Christian) groups are the most generous givers to good causes. I had just figured they were telling the truth so I never asked for evidence. Duh I should have.

I do think if you total up all the donations from religious groups and compare it to non religious it probably is much higher in the US which would make sense considering they are the majority (by a lot) in the nation. It is my fault for not researching it.

You just Denyed my Ignorance on the matter.

The next time I see someone make the argument that"religion/religious" always give more I am linking your thread. Don't get me wrong it is great that churches/religious institutions help others, but every time I see some giant multi million dollar church with extravagant decoration I think how that money could have gone to really help those in need. There are 5 such churches within 10 miles of me along with at least 8 smaller ones probably in the millions as well. I have discovered that sometimes when people say they give what they mean is they give to their church but who knows how much reaches those i need from that point. Some religious groups in my state in turn by up property to the point where one religious group owns nearly 2% of all the land in Florida along with some multi million dollar mansions all tax free.

Well even though this thread is a few years old I wish I had seen it sooner because this subject has come up in quite a few threads and topics.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
You know who gave the most?

The soldier who threw himself on a grenade because he loved his squademates more than himself.

The mother who gets tortured and raped to let her kids go free.

The hookers held in brothels against their will around the world right now because they know if they try to leave, they'll kill their families.

Don't quote a few athiests with billions who throw a few million around. Do you have any idea how much the Catholic church has given to the world? Probably more than the enitire rest of the world combined, let alone adding in all the work done by the Baptists, Lutherans, Episcapols, etc, etc. etc. You may be able to find millions of people who don't give millions, but combined, the faithful in Christ are more generous than any other.

Of course, you could throw in the numbers of the people murdered under communist rule, all athiest. How many millions did Stalin kill in trying to rid the world of religion? How much did the Communist Chineese donate to Tibet as they killed and raped the nation?

Please, if you want to talk about the generosity of athiests, please add them all in. I will give you that Christians have their own tainted past, and those that committed those acts will answere directly to Jesus for the blood of the saints they spilled.

Disclaimer, I don't know about the Budists. They may have similar numbers, and if they do, then I applaud them.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MRSeeker

I think you are heading down a dark path asking such things especially considering your christian Hitler plus don't forget to add in all the biblical killing then consider all the Abrahamic religious wars of present. If you are making claims for the church you should back it up or your just full of hot air.

Anyway I think you missed the point when an atheist gives it isn't expecting reward in the afterlife for it. You guys think your making down payments on your afterlife castles.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

There are dark paths everywhere Satan has let his influence be accepted, and the greatest acceptance he's gotten in the darkest path is the idea that God doesn't even exist. I will give you that an athiest can be generous, but don't make it sound like athiests are the answer. There are numerous attrocities comminted both in the name of Jesus and in the name of man, and I would put the balance quite a bit higher towards man. How many people were murdered by Christians in the New Testament? To my count, none, though the early Christians were certainly put to death by the Jews trying to wipe out the religion before it got started. And they failed. The point I was really making is that many people are giving more than money with their life, all because some people on this planet will chose to ignore God's laws and make their own. They may not declaire themselves athiests, but they are non the less.

Do you realize that the people God was perging from the area in the old testament were those committing human and child sacrifice? He was very specific in who the Jews were allowed to kill and who they weren't. Of course, the Jews messed it up, didn't kill the ones God wanted them to, left the pagan religions around to flurish, and turned their back on God, even sacrificing their own children to false gods. That's why God eventually allowed them to be wiped out and taken away in slavery to Babylon.

No, athiests are only as generous as you want them to be, but more attrocities have been committed in the name of man when they chose to ignore God's Law and Love, no matter what they profess or who's name they claim to do it in. Will all athiests go to hell? To be honest, I won't attempt to answer that because I know that God knows the heart of a man, but I can only see their actions, and you would be correct to tell me not to judge them.

So in truce, let the athiests be generous. It will only make the world a better place, but lets get out of the competition. Quite a bit has been donated in the name of Christ too. Just let Christ judge the church. He owns it, not the other way around.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join