It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

recommendation on a Rifle.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Being from AK it will suit you best to use a 308 and the 45! My dad has taught me all I know! My dad gets all the credit...!

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I was recently on a trip to Colorado during hunting season. Easily half of everyone around was open carrying. I never felt intimidated at all. In fact I felt quite safe. The restuarants, and stores I was in would have been a perps worst nightmare. I carry concealed, and I ALWAYS have one in every vehicle. Car jackers, thugs, and general scum beware. Yes, there are a LOT of us out there.

I actually felt out of place, and bought a regular holster, and wore my israeli arms open while there just to "fit in." It was kinda cool. Lot's of nods at other dudes checking out my piece, and striking up friendly conversation. The whole town was like a big gun show. I have actually thought of moving there!

On topic: Lots of good advice OP. Think about what you want it for. The AK you already have is a pretty good general purpose rifle. The addition of a .22 is a good idea too. The addition of a shotgun I would highly recommend. Simple, super reliable, affordable, and awesome knockdown power. A 1 oz. hastings slug would completely ignore body armor, walls, and vehicle skin. Just a thought. That AK is also simple, reliable, and affordable. It is the go to gun for multiple national armories the world over. There is an old saying that is very true. "The best gun is the one in your hand."

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thinair1
Me and my family have an Ak-47, mossburg 500 and an springfield armory XD-9. The AK-47 isnt comfortable to shoot and seems, To rugidish (if thats a word). I've been looking at several different rifles. One being an AR -15 in .223, an AR-10 in .308 or some carbine in 9mm or .45 acp.

any recommendations?

The L1A1 SLR. Australia and Newzealand used it in the Vietnam war and up to the 80's. The VC and NVA learned to fear it. It needs minimum cleaning and it's as robust as the Ak. It uses a 7.62 mm RNR. One shot and they're dead. They're old now but no doubt cheap to buy.

This is me in the army in the 80's to give you an idea of its size.

edit on 27-11-2011 by steveknows because: Add

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Unfortunately the FAL is not a very cheap gun. Right now about the best price you can pay for one is about 700 dollars. and that's if you buy one from Century International Arms which has a slightly dodgy reputation. Personally if you are not a fan of the AK I'd recommend spending some serious quality time trying out other rifles before settling on a replacement.

There are plenty of great rifles out there right now especially in the AR family.

One thing I'd like to say though for all of those advocating a .22 for home defense.... Come on guys seriously? While I LOVE my 10/22 to death it's not my go to gun for home defense.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Thinair1

Ruger mini-14. .223, rugged, reliable, light, lo profile, popular ammo, open peep sight, cheaper, lots of practice time for ammo is cheaper too. Kids can operate. Throaty bark. BOM, BOM, BOM, BO_BO_BOM !!!!

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Consolidate calibers for your current ammo.

SKS can share with AK. btw spend some time on the web. that AK can be fine tuned and have an ultimak mount put on the front for a halographice sight. You can swap out stocks for one that fits better, and add recoil reducers, but those chew up in about 3K rounds so you need a couple.

For the 9mm to match the XD....

Kel-tec makes tiny folding carbines.
Sterling is a nice addition with a full barrel vent cover.
Any of the mac11 knock offs

Have a PPS-43C and can mix with a couple tokarev pistols but you get the point on interchangeable ammo.

I do recommend as the others the L1A1 or FAL semi builds in .308

Have a k98 bolt action. its dense cold forest here so a semi isnt much if any advantage in that. If it was more open i would pick up an FAL.

You may want to consider a draco or draco mini to share with the AK. Im assuming your trying to round out a tool box, but you need to focus on the area your in and if you will be moving into more open areas. Then decide which will be best.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thinair1
reply to post by macman

everything! whether it be hunting or putting down a person trying to harm my family.

Ok, so a Semi Auto Rifle will fill that role.

.223 is a great all around caliber.
I would say look to the AR15. There are many flavors, prices and such to get you what you want.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

Hunting season is a little different.

I am talking about open carrying for no other reason than "protection." Also, I live in Kentucky/West Virginia so I can speak from a reasonable amount of personal experience. I doubt people in Colorado are anymore inclined to carry than people here and I support the right to carry, but I think carrying on the hip completely open is a little redundant and unnecessary in this day and age unless you are law enforcement. It also sends the wrong message to other civilians AND eliminates your element of surprise. I guess the robbers can thank someone for carrying on their hip since they know who to aim at first. One hidden in a body holster under the jacket makes a thousand times more sense and isn't nearly as obnoxious. If you don't know what I am talking about than you are a little out of touch.
edit on 27-11-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
The decision on a rifle replacement for the AK-47 should be based on a) the purpose planned for the gun and b) the rationale for your discomfort with the AK. If your reason for displeasure with the AK-47 is recoil then you had better step down to a rifle that shoots the 5.56x45 (.223) instead of stepping up to a 7.62x51 (.308). If younger members will be using the weapon (recoil will then be a factor) and the cost of stocking up on ammo is also a consideration then you might go for a carbine that shoots the 9mm so you can use the same ammo as your SA XD-9 handgun.
edit on 27-11-2011 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2011 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The 5.56 also known as .223 round is not much of a hunting round though . . It maybe ok for coyote and smaller animals it is not very good for deer and up sized animals .. It is also illegal to hunt those larger animals with 5.56 (.223) chambered rifles in a lot of states. An AR10 chambered in 308 (7.62x51) is a great hunting round for larger game, but is also heavy and too much for smaller type game . . I'm trying to think of something that falls in between those two calibers .. something like 7.62x39, 300 blk, 6.8SPC. 6.5 gren all would be great choices in my opinion .. and all of those rounds are available in an AR15 rifle .. . By looking at the ballistic charts on those above mention rounds my nod goes to either 6.8 or 300blk .. with a slight edge to 6.8 only because the military seems to be going to that round to replace the weak 5.56 . . therefor ammo should eventually be very abundant .. I do like the 300blk a lot . . the ammo is cheaper than 6.8 right now and ballistics are very good .. even beating the 6.8 at some distances . . I still recommend the AR 15 platform for it's versatility . I mean you can make it into a .22lr or all the way up to a 50 caliber beowolf

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

First of all Colorado has open carry laws that permit civilians to carry openly. SEcond of all since when is exercising your 2nd amendment rights obnoxious? To put it bluntly if you're that anti gun move to the UK or Australia where the nanny state disarms it's citizens. YOU are the one who is out of touch if you think exercising one's rights is obnoxious.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by roguetechie

First of all Colorado has open carry laws that permit civilians to carry openly. SEcond of all since when is exercising your 2nd amendment rights obnoxious? To put it bluntly if you're that anti gun move to the UK or Australia where the nanny state disarms it's citizens. YOU are the one who is out of touch if you think exercising one's rights is obnoxious.

If you'd research things you'd discover that you just misinformed people. It is legal to own guns in Australia they've only banned Auto and semi Auto weapons, no need to be running around with an Uzi. In fact in Australia you can carry a concealed gun (registerd) if you're also carrying $10,000+ cash on you or an item worth $10,000+

But you're wrong. Guns haven't been banned in Australia.
edit on 28-11-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows

Originally posted by roguetechie

If you'd research things you'd discover that you just misinformed people. It is legal to own guns in Australia they've only banned Auto and semi Auto weapons, no need to be running around with an Uzi. In fact in Australia you can carry a concealed gun (registerd) if you're also carrying $10,000+ cash on you or an item worth $10,000+

But you're wrong. Guns haven't been banned in Australia.
edit on 28-11-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)
LMAO!!! I know nothing of Australian law but if what you say about concealed carry is true. . ya might as well call it illegal .. I mean if it can't be atleast semi auto what does that leave? a musket? and who the heck carries around 10 g's or 10 g's worth of stuff on there person? .. oh wait I got it .. you can conceal carry only if you are rich in Australia .. that seems fair .. don't even get me started on the banning of semi and full auto

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mps3119

Wow... What a market to bring back the Remington Elliot 4 barrel .32 rim fire Derringer.
Not auto or semi, its manual select... but you get 4 shots.

Trouble with this law is, someone sees you are carrying, and knows that you have gold, watch or a fat wallet and then just hits you on the head with a bat from behind........ just carrying can be a magnet for trouble.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

agreed . . might as well wear a sign on your back that says "attack me" I have lot's of money pocket!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I live in Maryland, USA, where machinegun ownership is legal, if you file the proper paperwork with the ATFE.

If I had plenty of money - I would buy a Thompson submachine gun, in 45ACP for about $20,000.

Sterling Mark 3 submachine guns in 9mm, are still availble for around $10,000.

I would hold on to your AK's, because that is my SHTF rifle in 7.62X 39.
edit on 30-11-2011 by Erno86 because: typo

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

I have never heard of one incident, official, or anectdotal of a person being singled out for attack by carrying concealed. It may have happened, but that guy was probably about to get hit with a meteor, or lightning anyway. Besides the whole point of concealed carry is that no one KNOWS you have a gun. Derp!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
i'd say have a few extra buddies around with mini14's model 1911's i would open carry a mosin nagant with scope and a saiga 12 gauge shotgun with swan shot. i love open carry states, every state should have open carry policy on guns but i guess nobody is perfect

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
My family and I first off..
Second... Why is a JR. high school student looking for information about guns in this manner?
Busy school year huh? Having kids and a house, pets.

Before you feed this troll any further, click here.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: mps3119

If you are trying to find the best scope for AR-10 rifle, I'd recommend the Nikon M-308 4-16x42mm Riflescope BDC 800.

But if you are looking for extra-long range, then definitely purchase the Vortex Viper.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join