It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skyrim - Mini Review

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I challenge anyone to find a game that will get me more hooked within the first few hours than this game has.

Sure it's full of bugs, it's a Bethesda game what did you expect?
Sure there are glaring graphical and sometimes game ruining glitches.
Sure there are overpowered and underpowered setups with very little thought put into balancing.
Sure if played smartly you can become literally untouchable even on the toughest of difficulties.
Sure there is a distinct lack of any (even semi) in-depth tutorial.

My point?
Despite all of these flaws, the game is still the most addictive game I have ever played, you just can't put it down! That is saying something too given that I am such an avid gamer, hitting top prestige on all CoD's bar MW3, completed every Final Fantasy game and have gamed on a daily basis for the last 16 or 17 years now.

Skyrim is a whole new world. It is a living breathing masterpiece that everybody should have the pleasure of experiencing. The pros far outweigh the cons in this game. In its enormity it has managed to overshadow all its little niggles with what is by far one of the most beautiful, rich and vibrant game worlds I have ever explored.
There are literally hundreds and hundreds of hours worth of quests, stories, hunting, exploring and crafting in this game and you will lose many hours of your life and possibly many nights sleep indulging in all that the wonderful world of Skyrim has to offer.

This is game of the year easily. If not of all time.

A bold statement perhaps, but many a divorce over the next few years will be attributed to Skyrim stealing spouses from their loved ones. Of that I am 100% certain.

Gameplay: 10/10
Graphics: 9/10
Sound: 9/10
Longevity: 10/10
Overall: 9.5/10

Opinions?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I only like fighting the dragons. The rest seems like a laundry list of chores. The scenery is very nice though. I probably won't finish the game.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 4chi11e

I am very sorry to hear you aren't enjoying it as much as myself and many of my friends!
I am currently rinsing through the Dark Brotherhood assassinations... 30x Sneak attack damage with daggers is pretty brutal

Every minute that passes playing Skyrim is a thoroughly well spent one in my eyes. Plus I sit here smiling like a kid at christmas the whole time I play!

Thank you for the reply

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
the next game, elder scrolls VI?
but as games go this ones first impressions still dont match final fantasy 7 imo.
dont get me wrong, skyrim is the best game i own but thats only because its the newest.
it'll get old like the previous titles.
lets hope the next one has all regions of tamriel in it.

skyrim for me 9/10, final fantsy 7 when it was new. 10/10
edit on 25/11/2011 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
For me, the attraction to the game has been almost all about exploration .. the map is just so massive and there are so many things to find and see that it just blows my mind.

I'd seen a screenshot of someone who'd found a shipwreck under water so I set off to find it myself without any cues other than it was a large body of water, hours of game play later I've still never found it.. I've found another wreck above ground, but that's it..

I played the quests early on and was sticking to the story, but eventually just wandered off to explore the world.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

You are probably right there lol.

Also, when anybody asked me my favourite game of all time (until a week ago) I would have told them FFVII.
Vincent, Cait Sith and Yuffie will always be in my heart!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
i haven't played it myself, but i have watch my friend play it for a couple hours. we spent a half hour just messing with the random generated character features at the beginning of the game. entertaining to say the least lol

its a really cool game, the only thing i saw that bummed me out was the lag that plagued fallout seemed to carry over.

patches might fix that but they never fixed fallout completely so like i said .. that kinda bummed me out..

still i think ill grab skyrim someday in the near future

im playing the lonesome road add-on for new vegas currently
edit on 25-11-2011 by spaceg0at because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Once I hit about level 10 I decided I would traverse the map finding locations for future use (via quick travel) but hastily realised it would take me nothing short of a lifetime. That and I also realised how much fun it genuinely is simply trecking cross country with little or no idea where you are going or what you are doing
The truth is though that never lasts very long, something always comes up! Be it a dragon or a NPC begging for help or a dungeon you just can't resist exploring. Skyrim has a great knack for keeping you well and truly occupied in-game.
I decided I didn't want to ruin that so now I am just going with the flow, choosing which quests to do based on a priority that seems 'true' to me in my head. there is always something that I want to be doing and have not spent longer than 5 minutes stood about idly in this game. Absolutely loving it.

Thanks for all the replies folks

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I'm only a couple of hours in. Of course, most of that time was spent just finding obnoxious stuff to turn into tasty stews or potions. At least I'm finally over the compulsion to grab everything in hopes of selling it later or turning it into something else. Now I can play...after I make just a few more leather strips.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

Haha yea tell me about it! I am such a loot-whore it's unreal.

Shinies please the simple minded.....

edit on 25/11/2011 by Tachalka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

keep all your dragon bones and scales, make some baddass armour later.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tachalka

Haha yea tell me about it! I am such a loot-whore it's unreal.

Shinies please the simple minded.....

I'm constantly hitting my weight cap, I actually have a book cupboard in my room at the college.
Just for books I will read later on.

Actually talking of books, anyone found "Thief" that tells you to put the book down until you read "Beggar"?
I've been searching for this "Beggar" book for days now. Anyone seen it?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I haven't played it yet but I really want to. I just recently got the expansions for Oblivion and im still explorin the Shivering Isles.

FF7 is one of the best games ever, how many of us ended up online trying to figure out how to save Aeris?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

i have the book but dont ask where i got it, i dont know, my book shelves are full of books ill read later, read many of them though. most books are still the same word for word from the 1st elder scrolls game.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I've been loving the game too! What I like most about it is the freedom to do anything with my character. I could have a thief that is good with spells instead of daggers or I could have a plate armor wearing warrior that is only good at haggling with vendors!

The only problems that have bothered me are the ported console interface and the oversights that came with it. Like looking up takes about 3 times as long than looking sideways or the mouse lag--especially in the menu screens, and having to go through all my saves individually to find which one is a different character.

Fortunately there are easy fixes for those problems with all the 'tweak' guides out there, like this one.

edit on 26-11-2011 by dudeawesome because: added link

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Here's a shot I took tonight after I commented above, I finally found the shipwreck I was looking for! it's not far from this location.. not TOO far anyway ..

I found a head of lettuce in a barrel .. I was amused.

Ps. I'm using the HD water mod and a few others

edit on 11/26/2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by spaceg0at

I haven't seen any lag at all, and my video card is a little outdated ( 1 1/2 years old now but still a beefy card ) .. I'm playing on a PC though and for most people the bottleneck will be GPU not CPU .. if you're playing on a console then I can understand where lag may come in .. the graphics on the console aren't even comparable in my mind.. but the current generation consoles are just now starting to show their age, they've held up well ..

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

I haven't seen any lag at all, and my video card is a little outdated ( 1 1/2 years old now but still a beefy card ) .. I'm playing on a PC though and for most people the bottleneck will be GPU not CPU .. if you're playing on a console then I can understand where lag may come in .. the graphics on the console aren't even comparable in my mind.. but the current generation consoles are just now starting to show their age, they've held up well ..

ya it was the ps3 version, thats the big downside to being a console gamer :/

still amazing looking though, one of the best looking console games ive seen

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

buying a PS3 and not an Xbox360 is the downside to console gaming lol.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I FINALLY decided to stop making Apple cabbage soup. So...now what?!?

And don't these people eat something besides cabbage? No wonder no one is fat.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join