It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Here's something weird that has to do with my emotions and I'm wondering if this happens to anyone else.
When I look back at things from childhood , I don't feel old at all. Because I associate them with happening long time but when I look at movies from two or three years ago , I feel really old. I don't know why. Like I was at red box today and I saw the new Star Trek or atlest new to me and it turned out that film came out in 2009. It made me rold for some reason. I don't know why. I'm just weird like that guess.

Anyone else have that problem? Like I could watch a hundred episodes of MST3K from my childhood and be like Okay but I see that District Nine came out in 2008 and I feel old.

Kind of curious about why that is.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

Why are you curious? you sound like you have an emotional problem, go seek a doctor.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zatox
reply to post by Reptius

Why are you curious? you sound like you have an emotional problem, go seek a doctor.

Because humans are curious? If it's not interfering with daily life than there is no reason to see a doctor. No offense but you shouldn't be so callous with your advice, if one did have an emotional problem tied to fear then perhaps it is not the smartest thing to reinforce their fear?

OP, are you saying that you emotionally feel like a little kid and then emotionally feel like an old person? Or you are just judging yourself as young or old?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I'll tell you what makes me feel old.

Going on youtube, and constantly seeing Justin Beiber suggestions on the side thingy.

Either that or, not having a facebook account.

Other then that, i try not to worry about it.. it is what it is.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

reply to post by Reptius

Wow. Having a bad day? This was just rude without cause. I wonder if you diagnosed the right person.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Possibly something to do with time speeding up as we get older. Or at least our perception of time.

We live half our lives by the time we are 18 according to our perception of time.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I may be getting old and looking it,but I am always a kid at heart.
Just ask my wife.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reptius
Here's something weird that has to do with my emotions and I'm wondering if this happens to anyone else.
When I look back at things from childhood , I don't feel old at all. Because I associate them with happening long time but when I look at movies from two or three years ago , I feel really old. I don't know why. Like I was at red box today and I saw the new Star Trek or atlest new to me and it turned out that film came out in 2009. It made me rold for some reason. I don't know why. I'm just weird like that guess.

Anyone else have that problem? Like I could watch a hundred episodes of MST3K from my childhood and be like Okay but I see that District Nine came out in 2008 and I feel old.

Makes no sense to me. I only feel old when the joints, muscles, and bones hurt. Mentally, intellectually, I don't feel much older than 30ish.
I sure hope you're not in your 30s or 40s and feeling old, or you'll be in for a world of hurt when you really do get old, like 80ish.....

The childhood things probably don't make you feel old, because everyone had a childhood, and you expect it to be a long time ago.
Maybe the movies and shows that are a couple of years old make you feel like you almost missed them, like they might have passed you by????

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

Everyone has things about themselves that are unique to their personalities....and this may be one of yours. As to why you don't feel older regarding childhood experiences....and do regarding things from 3 or 4 years ago...I am not sure.

Perhaps.....well with your childhood it is all about youth and what happened to you...so when you think about your youthful experiences...you feel young again for a moment as you remember.

Now...you are and adult....and you think of your age....time seems to be moving faster....and when you discover things that are new to you but actually created a few years ago...you feel older...a bit out of touch.

I personally feel it is ok...to be just the way you are! You seem fine to me.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

reply to post by Reptius

Curiosity...is not an emotional problem....but your cold-hearted attitude certainly is. You have to live with yourself...you cannot escape....the rest of us are lucky.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Reptius

And this confirms my suspicions i had about you considering the other thread you made today.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I do this with music. The fact my kids are getting older doesn't make me feel old. Yesterday my uncle who had a daughter when I was 16 was over for Thanksgiving. I expected him and his daughter to come together. She showed up later with her fiance. Didn't make me feel old. Eventhough I was thinking where have I been.

But geez. If I hear No Doubt or Fuel or and grunge rock, I feel ANCIENT. Same thing goes for Tu-pac or Biggie Smalls lol.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
This sounds fairly normal. Maybe your overthinking this whole thing. I do it all the time. Don't worry about it. Relatively speaking we are all getting older
. Nostalgia is natural. Wishing you were younger is natural too. Keeping up with none important things like the Star Trek movie or as another person replied Justin Bieber sidebars.......Not important and not required!
My official "who the hell are you to judge??" opinion:
You are normal

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Agreed good lady. Just leave ZATOX alone. Soon his mom will make him go to bed.

And OP? You are not alone in wondering why this is for you.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

i still have my youth.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by notquiteright

reply to post by Reptius

Wow. Having a bad day? This was just rude without cause. I wonder if you diagnosed the right person.

Freud comes to mind here

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Please, all, let's not be hypocritical and give Zatox a hard time after we tell him not to. We are only viewing his statement via text, and while it may come off as harsh, it is only our opinions that say so without any actual evidence. In his world he could have been genuinely helping to the best of his efforts, now he may feel lowly because of everyone who spit on him.

Any way, let's try not to veer to far off topic. The real question is: How are you doing OP?

top topics

join