Help me Americans, i need a yummy mac and cheese recipe.

page: 1
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Ok, ive had a really hard day in work, and i want a really delicious mac and cheese recipe. I know i could google someone like Ina Garten, but i dont trust her, her eyes are too close together
. I want to make it for four people. THis is what i have, loads of pasta, milk, mustard, orange cheddar, yellow cheddar, parmesan, evap milk, flour butter etc. Can anyone give me some pointers, im already boiling the macaroni. Thanks guys.




posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife
 


You might ask this lady for some advice..........Wife Kills Husband Then Cooks Him


Sorry, I got nothing.

ps - why are you asking Americans?



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
1st, take 2 boxes of Craft Mac and Cheese.
2nd, follow directions side of box.



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
reply to post by thedoctorswife
 


You might ask this lady for some advice..........Wife Kills Husband Then Cooks Him


Sorry, I got nothing.

ps - why are you asking Americans?

because it seems to be more of a traditional american dish than british, and i wanted to see if anyone had any special secret ingredients. Dont worry il just chuck everything in together and see what happens. (or perhaps i should have gone to Ina garten).



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Booya, sure to please ya'll!

Recipe:
www.pauladeen.com...
This is good stuff, but to make it even better, make a bacon and toasted breadcrumb topping for the dish. Use the bacon/bread part from this recipe: southernfood.about.com...

What, no leftover from Thanksgiving? Are you gonna put any turkey in that mac and cheese?


Happy holidays,
spec



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
secret ingredient -- FRANKS HOT SAUCE!

... or any "buffalo wing style sauce" ... add a teaspoon at a time, to taste.



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Well if you are really the wife of a Doctor, get that lazy wanker to take you out for a nice dinner!

Better yet....ya'll skip across the pond over here to Texas! I'll feed ya some good old slow smoked BBQ!

Mac & Cheese? Really?

Come on sweetheart.... you deserve better!



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist


What, no leftover from Thanksgiving? Are you gonna put any turkey in that mac and cheese?


She's from England, I don't think they celebrate Thanksgiving over there.



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
Well if you are really the wife of a Doctor, get that lazy wanker to take you out for a nice dinner!

Better yet....ya'll skip across the pond over here to Texas! I'll feed ya some good old slow smoked BBQ!

Mac & Cheese? Really?

Come on sweetheart.... you deserve better!

Im not married, and i want mac and cheese, anyway i have a masterpiece bubbling away in the kitchen, the sauce tastes like the cheese sauce you have in the cinema with nachos. I would love to taste real american barbeque, I WANT PULLED PORK. A british barbecue is a sad and embaressing state of affairs, sausages and dodgy burgers.



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan
 



She's from England

I did not realize

Still, one can't go wrong with Paula Deens stuff, although most of her stuff is very rich.



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Here's a standard American Mac n' Cheese recipe from my old Betty Crocker cook book (recipe from the 1920s):

7 ounces elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Cook macaroni as directed on package. Heat butter in 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion in butter about 3 minutes. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Add macaroni and stir until coated. Pour into ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Bake about 30 minutes or until bubbly and light brown.

To add extra yumminess, melt a few tablespoons of butter and add cubed bread. Coat bread and top the mac n' cheese with it, then bake. Sinfully good!!

Good luck!



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This is supposedly the best mac and cheese in the world...it's called the 40 dollar mac and cheese.

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for casserole
6 slices white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to l/2-inch pieces
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more for water
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 1/2 cups (about 18 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar cheese
2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Gruyère or 1 1/4 cups (about 5 ounces) grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 pound elbow macaroni


Procedures
1
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place the bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour the melted butter into the bowl with the bread, and toss. Set the breadcrumbs aside.
2
Warm the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Melt the remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When the butter bubbles, add the flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
3
While whisking, slowly pour in the hot milk a little at a time to keep mixture smooth. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick, 8 to 12 minutes.
4
Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyère (or 1 cup Pecorino Romano); set the cheese sauce aside.
5
Cover a large pot of salted water, and bring to a boil. Cook the macaroni until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir the macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.
6
Pour the mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyère (or 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano), and the breadcrumbs over the top. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer the dish to a wire rack for 5 minutes; serve.



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by tvtexan
 



She's from England

I did not realize

Still, one can't go wrong with Paula Deens stuff, although most of her stuff is very rich.


Paula does have some good stuff, but you're right, it can be a little rich! (Not to mention FRIED!)



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I didn't realize you had already started...

get a sauce pan and add a few TBS of butter and then let it melt..add in a few TBS of flour and mix together until all flour is incorporated.

now add about a 8 oz of milk

grate all your cheeses and add them into it until melted.

pour and mix over cooked pasta.

serve



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
reply to post by speculativeoptimist


What, no leftover from Thanksgiving? Are you gonna put any turkey in that mac and cheese?


She's from England, I don't think they celebrate Thanksgiving over there.


Argh, im not english, dont say that please. Im pureblood celtic.



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus
 
Thankyou.



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100
 
And you too.



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
When I do a made from scratch version, I like to mix up the cheeses. A sharp tasting cheddar, a white cheese of some sort, and one of the white cheeses that has jalepeno peppers mixed in. It gives a little kick.

Also, when you're making the cheese sauce, you can add a dash (just a small dash) of Worchestershire Sauce.

Sometimes when it's done, I'll add in some tuna and celery.

Good pulled meat recipe, is :

In a crockpot, add to the meat a bottle of barbeque sauce and a can of root beer (not diet). Slow cook for 8 hours, take the meat out and while pulling apart, add the cooking sauce back in for moisture. Serve on crusty buns.

Another way is tomato soup, couple of tablespoons of brown sugar, equal amount of vinegar, taste and add more sugar if too sour, and cook as above.

Any good sauce works, as long as it's cooked slow, and there's enough sauce.

Experiment......



posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
When I do a made from scratch version, I like to mix up the cheeses. A sharp tasting cheddar, a white cheese of some sort, and one of the white cheeses that has jalepeno peppers mixed in. It gives a little kick.

Also, when you're making the cheese sauce, you can add a dash (just a small dash) of Worchestershire Sauce.

Sometimes when it's done, I'll add in some tuna and celery.

Good pulled meat recipe, is :

In a crockpot, add to the meat a bottle of barbeque sauce and a can of root beer (not diet). Slow cook for 8 hours, take the meat out and while pulling apart, add the cooking sauce back in for moisture. Serve on crusty buns.

Another way is tomato soup, couple of tablespoons of brown sugar, equal amount of vinegar, taste and add more sugar if too sour, and cook as above.

Any good sauce works, as long as it's cooked slow, and there's enough sauce.

Experiment......


thanks for that, well the mac and cheese has been eaten, i used evap milk as well as ordinary mik, and a pinch of mustard and some worcestershire sauce, ( i love that stuff, its something we british can be proud of!), however it was way too rich, and that spoiled it a bit. However the sauce did taste exactly like the cheese sauce you have with nachos in the cinema, (the extortionatly expensive treat,which i love but is so so pricey).
Thanks for the pulled pork recipe, i love the look of traditional american recipes, especially southern ones. I have the cookery channel at home, and i love to watch Adam richman on "man versus food", and when he eats barbecue, im am so so envious.
One last question, i wonder if anyone can answer it, i have googled but dont seem to be able to find a definitive answer. What is Velveeta? we dont have it here. I wonder what the nearest thing to it is in the UK ? is it like processed square burger cheese perhaps?





new topics
top topics
 
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join