It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Americans: A lesson in proper English.

page: 20
<< 17  18  19   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

For naming yourself Sherlock Holmes, you are not very bright.
Coffee is a stimulant. You use a stimulant to wake you up.
edit on 17-7-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Pennsylvania closes schools the first day of hunting season. Even then, the rest of the week is 7 girls sitting in the classroom.

It was a culture shock moving here.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Your car has an ash tray?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

There’s a close link between the stress pattern of I could care less and the kind that appears in certain sarcastic or self-deprecatory phrases that are associated with the Yiddish heritage and (especially) New York Jewish speech. Perhaps the best known is I should be so lucky!, in which the real sense is often “I have no hope of being so lucky”, a closely similar stress pattern with the same sarcastic inversion of meaning. There’s no evidence to suggest that I could care less came directly from Yiddish, but the similarity is suggestive. There are other American expressions that have a similar sarcastic inversion of apparent sense, such as Tell me about it!, which usually means “Don’t tell me about it, because I know all about it already”. These may come from similar sources.

I could care less

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

That one just bugs me, "I couldn't care less" makes so much more sense, to say you "could care less" implies you do actually care for it, but maybe not much. But in the context it is always used, it is about something you don't care for at all, therefore you "couldn't care less".
edit on 17/7/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19   >>

join