It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Amazing Movies Thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
(I did a brief search through this forum and didn't see a thread quite like what I have in mind, so here it is)

This is a the thread for pointing out truly superb films. I'm not talking about Hollywood blockbusters; I'm talking bloody well smashing movies that stand out.

I will start with the one that I just watched:

Antichrist. Starring William DaFoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg (2009).

Woah. I've heard of this movie for years now but I never got a chance to see it until now. This movie is certainly unique, and highly psychological. It's also a "horror" film but it's not unrealistic. In fact, it's all too real. This movie just blows my mind. I don't really want to get into details because this is one movie that has to be seen to be understood- merely talking about it would only undermind the experience for those who have yet to watch it.

Hobo With A Shotgun. A 2011 Canadian film.

This is a movie that stemmed from Grindhouse (Death Proof/Planet Terror), just like Machete, in the fact that it was originally a fake trailer shown during Grindhouse when it was in Canadian theaters. The actual movie is pretty damn good. It's about a hobo who arrives in a hopeless city in chaos. Eventually the hobo becomes fed up with watching society fall apart around him, so he picks up a shotgun and starts cleaning the city up from the scum that has taken over. Some of the acting is a bit over the top (especially the villians), but still though, pretty damn amazing.

So what say you, ATS? I'm sure some of you enjoy a fine movie just as much as I do

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I should get a hold of Antichrist and give it a watch it seems.
I have heard about it plenty of times, downloaded it just as many times. But I never took the time to watch it. It would seem I can not hold it of any longer.

Also here are some of the superb movies that stuck with me.

The Nines
Donnie Darko
The Fountain
Chaos Theory

One thing that those 4 movies share, is that they either make you think, watch them several times to understand them fully, or they make you hate them.
Some people say that they can not be understood, but I would say that they can be understood in many ways, and its up to the viewer to decide which point of view he/she wants to watch it from.
So if you like movies that will confuse you in some way, make you think twice about what just happened, and eventually make you go back and watch it again, those four are movies for you. The Nines and The Fountain are hated by alot of people. I would say 80% of people I have discussed those movies with, hated them and/or did not understand them. The Fountain I still dont understand completely, but its still a great movie in my head.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
2001: A Space Odyssey

Not sure if you've seen it yet...but if you can make it through the whole 3 hours the pay off is well worth it! Absolutely stunning film that attempts to explain evolution, technology, pretty much mankind's entire timeline.

And for anyone familiar with Nietzsche, the famous opening soundtrack says a lot about Kubrick's intentions.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
2001: A Space Odyssey

Not sure if you've seen it yet...but if you can make it through the whole 3 hours the pay off is well worth it! Absolutely stunning film that attempts to explain evolution, technology, pretty much mankind's entire timeline.

And for anyone familiar with Nietzsche, the famous opening soundtrack says a lot about Kubrick's intentions.

The first two hours were a pain to go through, at least it was for me. But yes as you said, after that, it pays of.
It is a very interresting film, rather unique aswell. Well worth a watch. I would however suggest having 2-3 "sandwiches" ready for it. It makes it a heck of alot easier to get through. Of course, only if your into the good ol' Mary J.

Something I am probably not allowed to say on this forum has been replaced with sandwiches. I think you know what I mean.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Shawshank redemption is amazing, the acting the music the story, everything about it.
Full metal jacket. "this is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine" awesome..
the moon. best sci-fi made this century.
fear and loathing in las vegas. "order some golf shoes or we'll never make it out of this place alive"

those are my favourite i can think of this moment, all epic masterpeices.

i have just got hobo with a shotgun but havent seen it yet. the name alone sells it.
2001 was good, very slow film but a must see.
edit on 25/11/2011 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by needlenight

Hahah yeah sandwiches are definitely recommended - helps you ponder all the technology Kubrick and Clarke predicted in the 1960's during those slow portions. Their vision of the future was farm from perfect but some of the stuff they really nailed. Here's an article discussing the hits and misses:

www.currybet.net...

And be warned - too big or too strong a sandwich and you may be having an OBE by the end of the movie

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

i have just got hobo with a shotgun but havent seen it yet. the name alone sells it.

This↓ is what sold it to me.

I've had that movie for awhile now, but I have not yet watched it either. Thanks for the reminder [color=ABD4F7]Dimitri, and the motivation. I may have to finally watch it, later on tonight.

For now, I'll just say '[color=FAA255]Reservoir Dogs', but I'm sure a few others will pop into my head, after I stop thinking about it.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]Res. Dogs, Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, Pay it Forward, A Beautiful Mind, Scarface (there can't be a list of movies without that one listed!), The Green Mile, Shawshank, Office Space, Fight Club, Girl Interrupted, Tank Girl, Charlie Wilson's War, The Bucket List.... and finally.... What's Eating Gilbert Grape (:

High Fidelity too, because the ending is awesome.

edit on 25-11-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]Res. Dogs, Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, Pay it Forward, A Beautiful Mind, Scarface (there can't be a list of movies without that one listed!), The Green Mile, Shawshank, Office Space, Fight Club, Girl Interrupted, Tank Girl, Charlie Wilson's War, The Bucket List.... and finally.... What's Eating Gilbert Grape (:

High Fidelity too, because the ending is awesome.

Pay it Forward... I have to admit, I shed a tear to that movie. A strong and emotional movie. And lets face it, that guy was the best child actor ever.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I am not a fan of Helen Hunt, but other than that... it was a great movie.

I like Kevin Spacey a lot. I really liked him in KPAK (I think that was the name, anyway).

I totally cried at the end when the people held the vigil.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]I am not a fan of Helen Hunt, but other than that... it was a great movie.

I like Kevin Spacey a lot. I really liked him in KPAK (I think that was the name, anyway).

I totally cried at the end when the people held the vigil.

Yes K-PAX, very good movie aswell, very convincing act by Spacey. Excellent film for anyone interrested in the whole "Alien walking amongst men" theme, and the whole, "is he for real or just crazy?"

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
There are a couple of movies that really suprised me as I didn't think that I would like them, but ended up liking. The Usual Suspects with Kevin Spacey was a real mind bender. I never saw the ending coming. I also enjoyed a movie that the critics panned called Secondhand Lions. Stars Robert Devall and Micheal Caine. This one is a really good story And very entertaining.
edit on 11/25/2011 by lonegurkha because: Lord please help me to learn to spell

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

A couple of my favorite

True Romance
Pulp Fiction
The Princess Bride
The Lost Boys

This last one is just for the cringe factor

The Dentist 2

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
i cannot beleive i forgot pulp[ fiction.
without a doubt this is quentin T's best film.
res dogs and jackie brown are awesome but nothing beat the PF.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]How about 'The Road'?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Badlands by Terence Malick is a masterpiece, check it out.

Paris Texas by Wim Wenders is also one of my favorites, could one of the best American road films have been made by a German?

Waking Life is a great one too, by Richard Linklater

For people who enjoy quirky European films I will have to recommend the films of Federico Fellini, starting with La strada, Amarcord, Roma, and 8 and a half.

One of my favorite directors in Jim Jarmusch, anything by him is great, I'd start with Night on Earth, Down by Law and Mystery Train, all great films

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Speaking of "sandwiches"

Pink Floyd The Wall. One of my all time favorites. On top of being such a mind-blowing experience, I also love the album by the same name (the whole movie is like a music video for it).

Ronin. A great movie about professionals on the job. Aside from Robert DeNero and Jean Reno starring together, I also enjoy the ambiguity of the movie. By this I mean that you never really learn who these people are (they aren't regular gangsters), or (SPOILERS) what is even in the package. It's just a movie about honour.

Leon - The Professional. Another amazing Jean Reno film, also (like Ronin) about some high-level professional "work". This is one of those movies that is just so well done that you can't really criticize anything in it, so instead you just take in the experience. I'll admit, I cried more than once with this one

edit on 25-11-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

There's been some great Brit flicks. don't really know how well known outside the UK they are?

Trainspotting

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Human Traffic

Snatch

All are really excellent films and well worth a viewing.

edit on 26/11/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

And maybe you'll enjoy these.

I have often thought about starting a thread about part of the subject of this film, I could say quite a bit about this....but regardless of some of the 'inaccuracies' it is a seriously good film.

The Rise Of The Foot Soldier

Cass

The Business

The Football Factory

All great films, could say a lot about all of them but......?

I was also once going to do a thread on the whole Casual Culture thing but again......?
edit on 26/11/11 by Freeborn because: Oops...wrong link!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Yup, British gangster films are pretty big around here, especially Snatch. Two smokin' barrels is hella good too. Lots of good terms from those movies make it to speech around here (to those in the know, anyways)... "Cheeky bastard"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join