It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White smoke billows from summit of Anak Krakatau

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Hi ATS,

I am not sure whether it has been posted. if it is please let the Mods know so that they can remove this

Mount Anak Krakatau is continuing to spew out white smoke clouds and authorities asked people to stay away as long as they can from the volcano. It looks like it can erupt anytime soon.

Please read the below from Extinction Protocol website
theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

Indonesia’s Mount Anak Krakatau volcano has been puffing white smoke the last few days, and scientists are warning locals and tourists to keep away. That could mean that the long suspected eruption of the world’s most famous volcano could be imminent. Actually, this volcano is the remnant of the biggest blast ever recorded on Earth. That was the 1883 eruption of Mount Krakatoa. From the ruins of that gigantic crater left in the land has come forth what is now known as the Anak Krakatau volcano—literally “Krakatoa’s Child.” In the time since the original eruption, scientists have gotten much better at predicting when a volcano will have a catastrophic eruption, distinguishing it from the many smaller eruptions which do not harm the local population or environment. One of the telltale signs is sudden and increased activity like what scientists are seeing in this past week at the Anak Krakatau volcano. Of course, not wanting to take unnecessary chances, scientists have to balance warning off residents with calling a false alarm. That’s why this recent warning is so significant. Seismologists have learned to read the signs to an astonishingly accurate degree and have a tremendous track record for getting it right. So, the world may be close to once again hearing the loudest sound ever recorded. And this time, the spectacular show will be caught on tape! The volcano remains on level 3 alert

This volcano is the one which has registered one of the most violent eruption ever recorded on planet. That was on 1883.

check below to find the energy that blast released.

The island exploded in 1883, killing approximately 40,000 people, although some estimates put the death toll much higher. The explosion is considered to be the loudest sound ever heard in modern history, with reports of it being heard nearly 3,000 miles (4,800 km) from its point of origin. The shock wave from the explosion was recorded on barographs around the globe with With a Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) of 6,[3] the eruption was equivalent to 200 megatons of TNT (840 PJ) – about 13,000 times the nuclear yield of the Little Boy bomb (13 to 16 kt) that devastated Hiroshima, Japan, during World War II and four times the yield of the Tsar Bomba (50 Mt), the largest nuclear device ever detonated.

I am not sure what kind of impact it will have if it erupts in near furture.If it erupts, the tremors caused by this blast will trigger any other volcanos

1883 eruption of Krakatoa
edit on 25-11-2011 by AncietSoul because: Link

edit on Fri Nov 25 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: added link

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Thanks for the info.

Just a couple of remarks to clarify some stuff.

In the second part you posted, there could be some confusion if you don't know the stuff.

VEI is an index for volcanic eruption but the measurement is in amount of tephra ejected. I think the author shouldn't have compared it with "TNT" explosive measurement when taking about the eruption and the VEI factor itself. On the other hand earthquakes are often compared with "TNT" explosive measurements but not volcanic eruptions.
Krakatoa (1883) was registered as a VEI 6, meaning the volcano ejected more than 10km3 of tephra (magma) and less than 100km3 during the entire eruption. a VEI7 is when a volcano ejects more than 100km3 of magma.

What happend back there at Krakatoa was that the volcano exploded, see your first article, violently and it generated a huge tsunami. It's the tsunami that killed most people and not the eruption (tephra ejection or toxic gasses).

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Wait a second!

This was news 2 month ago, do you have a source for this.
It has been rumbling for some time now, but i think it's sleeping again.

Edit: I found it, so it's still alive i guess.

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

edit on 25-11-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

I admit author shouldn't have compared. but to compare the Pressure wave it produced all over the world he might have linked it to TNT.

The pressure wave generated by the colossal final explosion radiated from Krakatoa at 1,086 km/h (675 mph).[3] It was so powerful that it ruptured the eardrums of sailors on ships in the Sunda Strait[4] and caused a spike of more than two and half inches of mercury (ca 85 hPa) in pressure gauges attached to gasometers in the Jakarta gasworks, sending them off the scale.[5] The pressure wave radiated across the globe and was recorded on barographs all over the world, which continued to register it up to 5 days after the explosion. Barograph recordings show that the shockwave from the final explosion reverberated around the globe 7 times in total.[2] Ash was propelled to a height of 80 km (50 mi)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Well before this thread goes too far off on a tangent, it might be pertinent to point out an important parallel between what is happening now and what happened back in 1883.

In the years before the 1883 eruption, seismic activity around the volcano was intense, with some earthquakes felt as far as Australia. Beginning 20 May 1883, three months before the final explosion, steam venting began to occur regularly from Perbuatan, the northernmost of the island's three cones.

en.wikipedia.org...

In other words, the steam Gods are expressing their discontent, and naturally with what happened before, this could be a cause for concern.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I just watched a program on National Geographic on volcanoes, especially the biggest and deadliest, that included Krakatoa and Krakatau. They described 100 foot tsunamis in 1883. Its hard to imagine how big and destructive that is. It would just "erase" entire islands. Amazing and scary as hell, literally.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Well noted o/p..its certainly worth keeping a watch on this, due to the umpteen other volcanic issues..S+F

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
My grandpa said if that happened could you imagine the price of food after such an event? Thats something to think about.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NerdGoddess

I remember reading an article years ago that addressed the potential effects of a large volacanic event. Can't believe I was able to find a similar article so easily (and so thread appropriate).
www.ees1.lanl.gov...

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
If this happens, I think it might cause major earthquakes all over the world, famine and disease if the earthquakes happen. It would be a vicious domino effect. Could wipe out people all over the world. I'm tired of "scary, kill millions of people,end of the world crap" going on, or threatening to go on, on this crazy planet!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by NerdGoddess
My grandpa said if that happened could you imagine the price of food after such an event? Thats something to think about.

perhaps the reduction in food would be offset by the reduction in humans left to eat the food?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

What happend back there at Krakatoa was that the volcano exploded, see your first article, violently and it generated a huge tsunami. It's the tsunami that killed most people and not the eruption (tephra ejection or toxic gasses).

The blast itself can kill alot of people too. An explosion that size is going to fling out rocks several tons in weight and it will kill anyone they land on to where there won't even be a red smear to identify you were ever there. When krakatoa exploded the boulders raining down squashed alot of people.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
".....I am not sure what kind of impact it will have if it erupts in near furture.If it erupts, the tremors caused by this blast will trigger any other volcanos...."

Let me ask if Krakatoa's big explosion in the 1883 caused other volcanoes to erupt? No it didn't. So where do you get your panic statement from?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Gosh,.
I can hardly wait to see what next year brings,..
sure did seem like more volcanoes came to life this year..
If only we knew someone that could prove or disprove that statement

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
fear mongering much ? - while a ` domino effect ` is possible - it hasnt actually occurred in any recorded eruption

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
It's a tiny volcano now.

That's all.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I think that Anak Krakatau often has smoke and ash. It's regular from this volcano. I read a thread about it happening a few years back. Don't know if it is capable of doing what the original Krakatau (which destroyed itself when it erupted) did.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The big problem with krakatoa is its capability of being a undersea volcano with a high Volcanic Explosivity Index(VEI)

The type of volcano plus its undersea capabilities lets sea water directly hit a large magma chamber.

Another volcano of this type is the Santorini volcano
en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join