It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Friday or Consumer Deathmatch?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Man, can I say wtf here? It looks like a herd of lemmings heading into sea. I realize this is just some people, but I wonder what percentage of society these people represent? Does this stuff happen at all the Walmarts around the world, or is this unique to US? I can appreciate a good deal, but when sheer insanity ensues and people get hurt, is it worth it? Maybe it is a type of 'thrill seeker' drive that people get excited about. Maybe I have just shed most of my reactionary consumer impulses, and seeing others behave this way brings lament.

How exactly did the Black Friday tradition start? Perhaps we should back up a bit to how Thanksgiving came to signify the start of the holiday shopping frenzy.

As it's currently understood, it was during Roosevelt's term as President that Congress finally decided that Thanksgiving would be the fourth Thursday in November. It was not originally a fixed holiday and thus was up to the President to proclaim when it would occur. Since it was usually observed on the last Thursday of the month, the day that President Lincoln first observed it, it became an unofficial tradition. It just so happened that that year, it fell on the last day of the month due to there being five Thursdays the month of Roosevelt's first term in office. Business leaders feared that since there were fewer days available for consumers to shop, money would be lost and so attempted to convince FDR to change the day. Roosevelt ignored their concerns and held out in 1933, but when the same situation threatened to occur in 1939, he reconsidered and changed the date. The bill would become effective in 1942. Fred Lazarus Jr., founder of Macy's department store, is credited with convincing Roosevelt in this decision.

"Ruler of the Universe," and "blessings granted from a Divine Providence" eh?
Maybe the intent of Thanksgiving was good, but it's marriage to Black Friday has brought about some foul reactions in today's world, imo. I understand the old school value of capitalism too, and appreciate the benefit of increased spending for the system, but again, seeing my fellow humans like this is troubling.
More here:
www.sott.net...

Peace,
spec
edit on 25-11-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

edit on 25/11/11 by masqua because: edit by request

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Have any other good videos?
I especially liked the one where the police told them this is how its gonna happen.One person starts running then everybody else goes and the police are like N UH UH, then they get trampled!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
What the hell is wrong with people. I can appreciate a good deal, seen a few good ones myself. If i had the money, maybe. But i would -not- be going in a store like that.

I'll just order online and wait three days for my package to be delivered to my front door in working order =)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Rob the first person out of the store.
He mad.
Sadistic people's dream.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Did they fire the Zookeeper? Someone left the Main door unlocked at the Primate exhibit.
It's embarrassing to watch our own behavior sometimes.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
i rewatched the video...
I dont know if people are.. like..stupid, or just doing this for fun. I dont know, im trying to rationalize it in my mind, but i just can't. I know its cheap, sure. But good things come to those who wait, you can get the same deal, after christmas, in the less busy boxing day or something.

Seriously.
Thats like fighting for a ps3, or some crap like that.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Call me crazy, but to me all "Black Friday" does is show people how badly they're taken advantage of during the rest of the year. That $3000 television "on sale for $500" means they've been ripping people off for $2500+ for the previous 10 months.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Slaves to our corporate masters.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

We have a winner! Our first Black Friday Pepper Spray incident.

10 Injured at LA Walmart on Black Friday Eve

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
dingdingdingdingding
2nd ding
ding

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I have only participate din black Friday once and that was four years ago. I was miserable! Tired, cold and had severe heartburn from all the coffee I'd drank. I got the TV I had wanted (and still have it today!) but I was so ill the following day that it really just isn't worth it for me to ever do again.

Last year my in-laws had someone try stealing items from their cart at a Walmart! Not to mention there were knock down, drag out fights for TV's and computers. NO THANKS!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Makes me feel sick watching scenes of humans trampling over their fellow humans for a discount on cheap consumer goods.

This is the real problem here. While more people would rather spend their days clamoring over cheap tat, than protesting the government or the banks, then the future looks pretty bleak.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Just shows how screwed up society really is.
Most people do not want to hurt anyone until someone gets in the way or you while your on a shopping spree.

Imagine what this would be like on a large scale society collapse.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I am still trying to visualise a herd of lemons heading into the sea.
Ah, those bitter lemmings and their clever switcheroos.

Shop 'till you drop.....somebody else.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pshea38

I am still trying to visualise a herd of lemons heading into the sea.

Touche', I meant lemmings! I totally missed that one. Oh man, now a herd of lemons would be surreal. Too much turkey and wine before posting! Mods, please help correct it

ETA: Thanks mods!

edit on 25-11-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: gratitude

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Vizzle

Now who'da guessed this years consumer stampede debacle would involve pepper spray? Seems to be a popular subject this holiday season. I bet if more of these people had pepper spray with them, they would use it, yikes.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Since it's been over 7 years..I have a couple of stories to tell.....That is the statute of limitations right?

Anyway..MY wife participated in two different black Friday events.
Once there was a deal on DVD players, 39 dollars each....She bought the limit of 5..
She tried to get into line to pay, but it was so crowded, that the security guys were trying to do a little traffic control.
Apparently, my wife was in the way...So the Security Guard RUDELY grabbed the front of my wife's cart, and guided her right out of the store. He kinda forced her to shoplift. she complied...

Another year, at Macy's MY wife tried to ask a sales girl a question..."Can't you see I'm on the phone?" was the reply...SO my wife waited...Then tried to ask again...The girl slammed down the phone and said WHAT DO YOU WANT?".......She just had a question about some cookware. The girl didn't know..and didn't try to find out.
Wife got the answer from someone else...Then paid for the cookware, in cash, at the rude girl's checkout counter.
When counting out change, the GIrl said the numbers out loud...81, 82, 83,,,,,,,,,Should have been cents,
But the girl was giving her dollars...oooops...

Now my wife is normally one of those guilt loaded, super honest, kind of people...It's her nature, completely.

But she also hates rudeness...Her hatred of rudeness won out on those days.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Since it's been over 7 years..I have a couple of stories to tell.....That is the statute of limitations right?

Sounds fair

Crazy stuff, and I suspect a womanly instinct may be involved in some of these actions, and fighting for goods to provide sustenance back at the den for the family is a mighty strong force. But that would be for food or shelter maybe, not a Ps3.
Think in a hundred years when scholars look back at these moments, I sure hope it is viewed as antiquated barbarianism within a consumer maddened society, that we have outgrown and left behind.

spec

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

People are animals the only difference is what is important to them. Some people its politics, some people religion. To these people its shopping.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Black Friday is when the vultures come out to play.

It's disgusting and makes me question just what people are celebrating around X-mas time.

top topics

join