It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-INDIVIDUALS: Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, Saddam's former 2nd in command, Arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Most wanted remaining Saddam General has been arrested. Iraqi National Guard troops in joint operations with U.S. forces made the arrest. Al-Douri had a 10 million dollar bounty on his head , and is suspected of leading the Baath Party insurgency after Saddam's fall. Al Douri is most noted for his use of chemical weapons in Northern Iraq in 1988, war crimes charges were filed against him based on those atrocities. Al Douri has been diagnosed with leukemia a few years ago, and he may have been seeking treatment for this ailment when he was captured.

www.msnbc.msn.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq - Saddam Hussein's former second-in-command, Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, was arrested in northern Iraq, an Iraqi Defense Ministry spokesman told al-Hurra television.

Saleh Sarhan said al-Douri was captured while in a clinic where he was receiving medical treatment.

"There was a major operation around Tikrit and al-Dour and American forces supported by Iraqi civil defense corps members were able to capture Izzat al-Douri," he told the U.S. government-funded Arabic-language station in a live telephone interview. Saddam was captured at a safehouse near al-Dour in December.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The capture of Al-Douri will bolster the interim regime of Allawi, allowing him to focus on the foreign insurgency that continues to plague Iraq. This will also complete the court docket for upcoming trials in Iraq.

Related News Links:

www.albawaba.com...

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9-8-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Excellent. Who does that leave left?

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Excellent. Who does that leave left?

Looks like we are down to seven (though I have heard reports of six).

CENTCOM's 55 most wanted list.

The "fun" way to look at it.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I will be forever sad that Bahgdad Bob was not included!

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
I will be forever sad that Bahgdad Bob was not included!

I hear he's doing a lounge act at the Tropicana; six nights a week, mostly standup, some audience participation, and a fair "Dean Martin Style" crooning as a finale. Baghdad Bob was one of those old school villains, well rounded� the good old days� now it�s just tattoos and gunplay.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
It now appears the reports from the Iraqi Defense Minister was incorrect. U.S. officials have never confirmed the report, and it now seems likely Saddam�s number two man is still on the loose.

CNN Story.

AP Wire Update.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Nice. Glad their making some progress over there.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
BAGHDAD, Iraq � Medical tests have shown that a man being held in Iraqi custody is not former president Saddam Hussein's deputy, Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, Interior Ministry spokesman Sabah Kadhim said Monday.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
BAGHDAD, Iraq � Medical tests have shown that a man being held in Iraqi custody is not former president Saddam Hussein's deputy, Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, Interior Ministry spokesman Sabah Kadhim said Monday.

www.foxnews.com...

So I guess the real question: Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri or iz it not?

top topics

join