It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*BREAKING* Russia Arms Syria With "Ship Killers": Missiles Threaten U.S. Navy Carrier

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+46 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I was speaking to one of the leaders of a Syrian opposition group via Skype earlier tonight (no I won't say who it is, you'll have to wait for the next episode of The Truth Is Viral) and we were discussing possible Russian involvement should NATO take an overt role in enforcing the no-fly zone, a "Red Line" the Russians have said they will not allow to be crossed.

It's going to be problematic enough to keep the Russians out. Turkey, a NATO country, will be taking the lead in the no-fly zone under the auspices of the Arab League - to which Turkey does not belong. In an interview with NATO, I was told that "NATO" is staying out of this one aside from logistical support for the Turks. Exactly how that is supposed to convince the Russians this is not a NATO operation is beyond me; but I guess we'll see how this shakes out one way or another, because we're on an E ticket ride and there ain't no getting off.

Fulfilling a contract from 2007, the Russian government has made good on the delivery of SSN-26 Yakhont anti-ship missiles to the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. These missiles are different than the S-300 missiles Russian technicians have been installing in Syria in recent days in anticipation of a no-fly zone over Syria. Those are anti-aircraft missiles, while these are designed to destroy ships - and they are very good at it.

According to FAS Military Analysis Network::

The supersonic P-800 Yakhont (Gem) is a ramjet version of P-80 Zubr [SS-N-7 Starbright]. The ship, submarine and coastal-launched Yakhont is launched from the unified ampoule-shaped transport-launching container (TLC).

The container is 9 m long, is 0.71 m in diameter. The firing range reaches 300 km (162 nmi.) when flying along a combined trajectory and 120 kg (265 lb.) when following only a low-altitude trajectory. Flight speed varying over the range from M=2.0 to M=2.5 is provided by the kerosene-fueled multi-mode liquid-fuel ramjet.

The P-800 Bolid is the encapsulated, submarine launched version of Yakhont. An air-launched version of the missile with the take-off weight of 2,500 kg (5,507 lb.) is also being developed. The closest American counterparts, the Tomahawk and Harpoon missiles, are subsonic; the best French anti-ship missile, the Exocet, has a range of only 45 miles.

This missile system can be mounted on a truck, fired from fixed installations, or launched from a submarine; it presents a challenge to the U.S.S. George H.W. Bush (CVN-77) which is currently steaming the waters off of Syria in anticipation of the imminent declaration of a no-fly zone designed to cripple the military of Bashar al-Assad's Baathist regime. Syria's military has been responsible for more than 3,500 civilian deaths since protests erupted and the Arab League has had enough, with 18 of 22 members voting to suspend Syria and threatening to recognize the Syrian National Council as the legitimate government of Syria. The implementation of a no-fly, no-movement zone is imminent.

Russia has been asserting influence in Syria for decades, selling them weapons and maintain a naval base at the Syrian port of Tartus. The base is small in comparison to what one might expect a Russian naval base to be - sporting three floating docks, barracks, and other faciities - but since 2006, Russian officials have been in talks with the Syrians about expanding the base and, therefore, their ability to project influence into the Mediterranean Sea.

In exchange for the expanded base, Russia forgave 3/4 of Syria's 13.4 Billion dollar debt, so they have a significant investment in Syria that they want to hold on to. Once, the Soviet Union wielded great influence in the Med with bases in Libya, Egypt, and Syria; but since the humiliating loss of empire and prestige that occurred after the breakup of the Soviet Union, Russia has been a second-rate (although still massively nuclear) world power. President Dmitry Medvedev wants to change all of that.

In addition to arming the Syrians to the teeth, published reports state that the Russian Navy has sent three warships to the waters off of Syria, the same Area of Operations in which the Bush is operating . While it is unlikely that Russian warships will come into direct conflict with the Bush, the same can not be said for Syria.

Sources in Israel tell me that the Israelis are worried that Syria might transfer some of these missiles to Hezbollah, and that if that happens the IDF fears a repeat of the INS Hanit incident in which an Israeli vessel was hit by an anti-ship missile launched by the terrorist group in 2006.

The interview with the Syrian opposition leader will be the main focus of the next episode of The Truth Is Viral. This weeks episode, released a couple of days ago, zeroes in on the 20,000 MISSILES that al-Qaeda terrorists stole from Libyan armories as they went tear-assing around the country during their CIA-backed "revolution."

(click to open player in new window)

I will be adding to this breaking news as new information comes in.
edit on 11/25/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

+69 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
LOL!!!!! Yeah i was on Skype earlier with mahmoud ahmadinejad and he told me some stuff but im not gonna say it on here.

+32 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I've seen a lot of posts stating that Russia will back down and that this is just saber rattling.

I don't think so. Russia is getting sick & tired of the US trying to dictate how the World should run and many other Countries are feeling the same way.

Still got a bad feeling about all this. Russia is NOT the Country to Pi$$ off.

edit on 24-11-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

+34 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
LOL!!!!! Yeah i was on Skype earlier with mahmoud ahmadinejad and he told me some stuff but im not gonna say it on here.

You haven't seen my show have you? It's a news analysis show featured on the front page of ATS every week. Where have you been?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I'm with you, this disturbs me. It seems less like sabre rattling and more like getting their ducks in a row for the Big Shootin' Match.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I am particularly worried as well, perhaps they have the armaments to strike back at the west if need be. Most likely.

I just don't like the fact that I live in a harbour filled with military vessels, and soon to be building more military vessels.. Seems like a big red target to me now.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I've seen a lot of posts stating that Russia will back down and that this is just saber rattling.

I don't think so. Russia is getting sick & tired of the US trying to dictate how the World should run as well as many other Countries are feeling the same way.

Still got a bad feeling about all this.

I think you're onto something brother. Russia has a new attitude as of late, and they don't seem to want to back down. Still, I doubt that they will get into a shooting match with the U.S. over Syria.

There are so many facets to this story it's incredible. I really have no idea how I'm going to fit all of the information into a 15 minute show. If I try to break it up into three 15 minute episodes, the fat lady will have sung by the time episode three airs. It's definitely going to be a challenge that's for sure.

Happy Thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Good for you, bring this to the front page. Nice that you have an "in" with someone that is there.

Let's do Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Christmas while Syria, Russia, China, and North Korea make their moves.

Your post scares me.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
the chicken little's of ATS were worried about north Korea a while back and nothing
amounted from that either,. Nor did the jordan conflict erupt into a war,
I will venture to say this is just more chest thumping

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
One word... "Lasers"

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

This brings to mind the sabre rattling that used to occur daily during the height of the Cold War.

I'm not marginalizing this by any means, but when issues like this arose back then, they were handled differently. Now, it's a knee-jerk reaction to escalate to armed conflict almost at the onset of these confrontations.

S&F

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
This whole Syrian opposition is being staged in my opinion by the Western forces in order to overthrow the al-Assad Baathist regime since it refuses to comply with the dictates coming from Washington. I would not even be surprised if the snipers littering Syria that have this faces covered are actually foreign snipers sent in to create a quagmire for the al-Assad regime. Many in Syria have sought refuge with the military because of the violent opposition, which is obviously being met with violence from the state.

If my suspicions are correct, which I believe they are, then I applaud Russia for arming Syria with ‘ship killers’. I love my native homeland, America, but we are dead wrong and if it takes getting punched in the face to learn our lesson then so-be-it. I am actually beginning to look towards Russia more for a hopeful future, Putin and Russia are not perfect by any means but a multipolar world with large Russian influence could only make things better in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Originally posted by jude11

I don't think so. Russia is getting sick & tired of the US trying to dictate how the World should run as well as many other Countries are feeling the same way.

Still got a bad feeling about all this.

I think you're onto something brother. Russia has a new attitude as of late, and they don't seem to want to back down. Still, I doubt that they will get into a shooting match with the U.S. over Syria.

There are so many facets to this story it's incredible. I really have no idea how I'm going to fit all of the information into a 15 minute show. If I try to break it up into three 15 minute episodes, the fat lady will have sung by the time episode three airs. It's definitely going to be a challenge that's for sure.

Happy Thanksgiving.

There are 2 things at play here. The value of Syria to Russia AND Russia's pride.

In the back room, they might be thinking that it isn't worth it but as National pride, Russia knows that it is being viewed by the entire World right now and if there is no way to back out with their pride intact...?

They will only back down so many times and that point is getting very close IMO.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Minihaha
reply to post by OldCorp

Your post scares me.

It scares you? I'm about have a heart attack over here.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

This whole Syrian opposition is being staged in my opinion by the Western forces in order to overthrow the al-Assad Baathist regime since it refuses to comply with the dictates coming from Washington. I would not even be surprised if the snipers littering Syria that have this faces covered are actually foreign snipers sent in to create a quagmire for the al-Assad regime. Many in Syria have sought refuge with the military because of the violent opposition, which is obviously being met with violence from the state.

The truth

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

I addressed this question specifically to the leader of the Syrian opposition group with whom I spoke. Webster Tarpley has been on RT claiming that the Free Syrian Army is being backed by the CIA, MI6, and Mossad. My contact says that is BS, and you will all get to hear him explain why on the next episode of my show. After speaking with him, I get the feeling that this situation is going to be a bit different than what transpired in Libya.

(click to open player in new window)

If my suspicions are correct, which I believe they are, then I applaud Russia for arming Syria with ‘ship killers’. I love my native homeland, America, but we are dead wrong and if it takes getting punched in the face to learn our lesson then so-be-it. I am actually beginning to look towards Russia more for a hopeful future, Putin and Russia are not perfect by any means but a multipolar world with large Russian influence could only make things better in my opinion.

I'm not going to "applaud" anyone or anything that puts American servicemen at risk; but I will agree that the US need to keep its nose out of the internal affairs of other countries.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Well considering Russia, is already pissed about the missile defense we are putting up in Europe, and now See's a US air craft carrier headed over to their lil buddies in Syria, where they have investment, and are also hearing about sanctions and whatever else going on, I am sure they are concerned about what is happening there.. Syria, and Russia are trading as well btw, oil and what ever else.. I understand whats going on in Syria, is horrible, I agree, but man sending a air craft carrier over there spending lotsa money we do not have, and posturing ourselves in a position where accidents can happen. We are in Iraq, fighting gorilla's in Afghanistan, and now about to watch a so called no fly zone over Syria, I still do not understand what that is suppose to prove..

We had Russia, watching us from warships in Libya, reports of their warships on the coast of Syria, not to mention they have a base there as the op says, I don't think Russia, will just sit idle if TSHTF. They will lose their oil trade, their land base, and whatever other business investments, a loss of money for them, and they will blame the west...

Each time a Scenerio like this happens there is always a element of chance for the big WWIII, to start...

Doesn't mean it will happen, but why the heck do we continue to temp chance?

Its an Arab problem, a middle eastern problem, we are going to end up learning the samething the crusaders learned a long time ago... AGAIN, if we keep this crap up..

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Great Thread,as usual OldCorp!

Its getting hot over there,that's for sure.........

Heres more info on how country's feel about Syria.................

FRIEND RUSSIA: Syria's most important supporter and trading partner, not only because (along with China, another Assad supporter) it has veto power in the UN Security Council. Moscow has long propped up the Assad regime, providing US$4-billion in arms and materiel, in return for a permanent Mediterranean base for its nuclear-powered submarines. Russia has gone so far as to say it will continue to supply arms to Syria "as there are no international sanctions against it." The latest arms shipment arrived Tuesday at the Syrian port of Latakia. Russia also exports about US$1-billion of goods annually to Syria and is a long-term investor in the country, with interests in oil, gas and steel.

FRIEND CHINA: China and Syria have diplomatic relations stretching back 55 years. In the past few months, China has repeatedly called for a resolution to the Syrian crisis by urging President Assad to talk to protesters. It has not called for regime change and, along with Russia has clearly stated that it would oppose any UN sanctions being imposed on the country. However, China's position is not believed to be as solid as Russia's, and the Arab League suspension decision could lead to a change in its stance if it feels it will not alienate other Arab markets.

FOE ISRAEL: Israel sees Syria as an immediate military threat and is extremely concerned at the numbers of weapons it has purchased from Iran. It is believed a condition of some military sales from Iran to Syria was that there would be no peace between the two nations. Syria and Israel have held peace talks, mediated by Turkey, but these broke down. Efforts this year to restart them failed because Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he did not believe Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad was serious about negotiations. One of the key Syrian demands is the return of the Golan Heights.

More Nations,follow link........................

KEY COUNTRIES AND HOW THEY SEE THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH SYRIA

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by OldCorp

This brings to mind the sabre rattling that used to occur daily during the height of the Cold War.

I'm not marginalizing this by any means, but when issues like this arose back then, they were handled differently. Now, it's a knee-jerk reaction to escalate to armed conflict almost at the onset of these confrontations.

S&F

Hey Beez, hope you had a good Thanksgiving brother.

I was born at the height of the Cold War shortly after the Cuban Missile Crisis, did the "Duck & Cover" drills at school, and when I was in the Corp, our main enemy was the "Godless Commie Bastards." Whenever two nuclear powers face off there is always a chance that someone will get nervous, and if that someone has their finger on the button at the time then the S really could HTF.

This kind of brinksmanship really makes me nervous.

reply to post by sonnny1

Thank you sonnny1, you are too kind.
edit on 11/24/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace

pretty uncalled for sir!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join