It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was The Titanic Destroyed By A German Submarine?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
The Imperial German Navy did have submarine tenders though I am unable to find if any were in commission in 1912 so it is possible that they were able to refuel/resupply U-1 at sea.

See, I know they did in WW2, they had re-supply subs dedicated for the task, but these ended up making both subs very open to attack and heavy losses resulted, leading to the "milk cows" being retired.

As for WW1, I have looked through the entire list of German vessels of the time and can't find any mention of a sub tender in 1914, let alone 1912.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I can't believe you are still attempting to defend this theory. A torpedo explosion is a huge violent cataclysmic event. There is a HUGE shudder throughout the entire ship- even in vast battleships! Everything and everyone is thrown to the deck, quite frequently causing broken bones and deaths from the sheer ferocity of the explosion. The explosion almost always causes large fires that are nearly impossible to extinguish by a civilian crew.

NONE of these events have ever been reported by the survivors. There could be no mistake about this.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Everyone knows J.P. Morgan sank the Titanic, in which he built and owned through White Star Lines, because a bunch of prominent figures against the creation of the Federal Reserve were onboard.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with theorizing from many different angles...

How many people on the Titanic would have "known" what a torpedo exploding into metal thats under water sounds like anyways?... They heard that sound before?...I doubt it...

Ever think of that?

Just like the survivors who said they "heard the ship hitting ice"...How would they "know" what massive sheets of moving steel hitting and grinding against gigantic chunks of floating ice sounds like?...They heard that sound before?...I doubt it...

Ever think of that?
edit on 25-11-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Again, there would be no confusion over "what was that sound?" There would be dead people laying on the floor. There would be smoke and fire in a large part of the ship. The injured would outnumber those who were uninjured. On ships that were hit with a torpedo the explosion caused the ship to jump so violently that people's legs would break just from that.

If a ship is hit by a torpedo, I guarantee you know one will be wondering "Gee, I wonder what that sound was..." And there wouldn't be men sitting around a card table still playing a game. The cards would have fallen off when the table flipped over.

I'm sorry, but you simply have no concept of how violent a torpedo strike is.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Only way I can come up with a scenario to make this theory work is that the iceberg was the torpedo.

Let's see, The German sub could have fired an ice cube from around Greenland toward the west and it grew in mass until it became an iceberg size weapon and hit the Titanic.

It all fits. No loud bang, no concussion waves, people saw an iceberg but it was a German torpedo that actually sunk the Titanic.

and over 700 people never remembered hearing a blast, yeah that's the ticket.

case solved.

edit on 25-11-2011 by dcmb1409 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
Nothing wrong with theorizing from many different angles...

Not at all, but if you were truly open minded, you would take on board what others are saying.

How many people on the Titanic would have "known" what a torpedo exploding into metal thats under water sounds like anyways?... They heard that sound before?...I doubt it...

Quite a few of the passengers and crew were former military, so that isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Just like the survivors who said they "heard the ship hitting ice"...How would they "know" what massive sheets of moving steel hitting and grinding against gigantic chunks of floating ice sounds like?...They heard that sound before...I doubt it...

They didn't need to know what it sounded like, they saw the bloody Iceberg and chunks of ice fell on the deck!

Ever think of that?

No, because it is stupid when taken in context with the rest of the evidence..

You might as well say a giant shark with an oxyacetalyne torch sunk the Titanic. How could anyone know what a shark with a blowtorch sounds like? Ever think of that?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
reply to post by blocula

Again, there would be no confusion over "what was that sound?" There would be dead people laying on the floor. There would be smoke and fire in a large part of the ship. The injured would outnumber those who were uninjured. On ships that were hit with a torpedo the explosion caused the ship to jump so violently that people's legs would break just from that.

If a ship is hit by a torpedo, I guarantee you know one will be wondering "Gee, I wonder what that sound was..." And there wouldn't be men sitting around a card table still playing a game. The cards would have fallen off when the table flipped over.

I'm sorry, but you simply have no concept of how violent a torpedo strike is.
Most of them probably didnt even know in 1912 what a torpedo was,never mind what it sounds like exploding...

If something was growling really loud outside my house,would i say "thats a bear",or "thats a lion" if i never heard a bear or a lion growl before?...No i would'nt...I would say..."what was that"

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

There is no one so blind as he who refuses to see, to abuse a famous quote.

You wouldn't be CARING what the sound was! You would be deaf and bleeding from your ears, you be trying to peel your face off the wall, you would be trying to beat out the flames that were burning the flesh off your bones, your bones would be broken in numerous places.

"What was that noise"? Really?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot

reply to post by Drunkenparrot

And the Germans had no problem sinking the 787 ft long Lusitania in 1915...

edit on 24-11-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

The RMS Lusitania was sunk 11 miles off of the coast of Ireland.

The RMS Titanic was sunk two thousand miles to the west, 400 miles off of the coast of Newfoundland.

Have you found a U-boat design that was in service in 1912 that had anywhere near the range requires?

Edit: I will give you partial credit for referencing the 1905 Battle of Tsushima Strait. It was the first battle involving truly modern ships and was a huge influence on WWI naval strategy.

Unfortunately, it has faded into the dustbin of history and is now mostly known only to a few folks with an interest in military history.
edit on 24-11-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: additional text
There were 8 different U-Boats built and launched by Germany before 1912 that all had ranges of 3,356 miles,the U-9 through the U-16 and to add on an extra fuel tank or fit a sub with a bigger fuel tank for a "special mission" would have been easy enough for them to do...

The best candidate that i could find for a German submarine to have sank the Titanic in april,1912 was the SM U-12 ,a German Submarine,built in 1911 and sunk off Scotland in 1915.It was the first submarine to launch a plane at sea.U-12 was a Type U 9 U-boat built for the Kaiserliche Marine.Her construction was ordered on 15 July 1908 and her keel was laid down by Kaiserliche Werft in Danzig.U-12 was launched on 6 May 1910 and commissioned on 13 August 1911 and had a nautical range of 3,356 miles,enough to have reached or to have been waiting for the Titanic..

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

The informational facts ^^^ that you included in your post that i'm replying to are "mind blowing"...Thanx!

edit on 26-11-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by dcmb1409
Only way I can come up with a scenario to make this theory work is that the iceberg was the torpedo.

Let's see, The German sub could have fired an ice cube from around Greenland toward the west and it grew in mass until it became an iceberg size weapon and hit the Titanic.

It all fits. No loud bang, no concussion waves, people saw an iceberg but it was a German torpedo that actually sunk the Titanic.

and over 700 people never remembered hearing a blast, yeah that's the ticket.

case solved.

I believe what you are referring to is an attack by the following operating in icy waters:

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Matt1951

Three very very wealthy people were killed in the Titanics sinking,not just one and they were opposed to the installation of the federal reserve system and they had the financial power to stop it and our federal reserve system is owned and controlled by the illumanti and soon after the Titanic sank,the federal reserve system was put into place and then the illumanti financed both the good guys and the bad guys during WW-1...Incredible!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrunkenDonuts
I, for one, am surprised that in 2011 Germany is *STILL* getting the blame for WWI. I don't have a hard on for Germany or anything (WWII, clearly bad stuff
), but WWI was a failure of entangling alliances and governments rushing into war because of some Archduck (yup, spelled that right) getting offed in the Balkans. Even if their submarines had the range, and they didn't, the Germans wouldn't be patrolling the western Atlantic to "LULZ torpedo the Titanic cuz we feelz like it!" It's ridiculous. The lack of knowledge on the political situation during that time period is profound, but not surprising considering WWII is much more studied in today's day and age.
yes the germans subs did have the range earlier than 1912...the U-9 through the U-16 all had ranges around 3,356 miles and all were in operation before the Titanic sailed...

And how hard would it have been for the Germans to add an extra, or a larger,fuel tank to a submarine,if they might have needed to,that was going on a special and very secret mission?...Not hard at all...

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

yeah

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith
What about a mine?This is also a possibility,what if the order was to sunk the Titanic!
And some early German Submarines had mine laying capabilities as well...

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

I do not think that the ice could penetrate the steel hull of the Titanic either...lets put a large piece of ice in front of us and then slam a metal sledge hammer against it and the sledge hammer wins "every time"

100 year anniversary of the Titanic sinking is only a few months away...

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

A logical fallacy. A sledgehammer (a solid lump of iron) is entirely different to a sheet of steel less than 2 inches thick (especially one that is exposed to extreme cold and saline water when it is already weakened by a high sulphur concentration). Also, a block of ice out of the freezer is different to a block of ice you'll find in an Iceberg, which has formed over years of ice compacting in layers.

Ice can and does penetrate steel hulls. You can find plenty of examples of this throughout history.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
You still have yet to provide a valid reason why germany would even do this, much less the how.

There are more holes in your theory than in a pair of ancient underpants.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by blocula

You're missing the point though, at that point in history a single torpedo strike would have been insufficient to sink the Titanic!

Plus WWI hadn't even started then......why would they even try?
edit on 25/11/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

"Though the damage in the hull was 220 to 245 feet long, the most recent evidence shows that there was only a 12 square foot opening,the size of a refrigerator,in the hull allowing water inside the ship"...

Thats what caused it to start sinking...^^^

Hmmmmm...www.eszlinger.com... < look under collision/damage...

A 12 foot hole equals torpedo damage imo,not from scraping against a gigantic iceberg and that 200 ft long damage,if there even is any and i think someone above explained how there was'nt,was caused after impact,as the ship broke up and or was torn open further...

Why would they try it? To sink the Titanic in 1912? The same reason they sank the 787 foot Lusitania in 1915 with "one" torpedo and killed 1,198 people...They felt like it...

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join