It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cooking conundrum, does this happen to anyone else, and does anyone know why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
hit keyboard to fast sorry ,
edit on 24-11-2011 by thedoctorswife because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Well, tonight i decided to cook a xmas dinner, i felt like it and i occasionally do odd things like. I spend ages making it, and i have to say it was very nice. However when i came to eat it, my appetite was completely gone. It has happened to me before and its usually (but not always) when im cooking a large meal.
Does anyone know if there is a scientific reason for it ? or am i just weird. cos it doesnt make sense.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Just wondering if you tasted things as you went along?
I use to do that and then when it came time to eat I
wasn't hungry.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
It's because after cooking a large meal you're taste/smell has been satisfied and lets face it your wanting a sleep not a meal lol.

Try cooling the room right down before you dish up - heard that's the secret? Good luck

Ps. guess it's a good way to slim.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Yes, that happens to many people, so you are ok.

My solution : Get a couple of glasses of wine while you cooking, you'll be hungry when food is ready.

I hope you drink.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm a chef by vocation and this always happens to me. The olfactory system plays a huge part in sending hunger signals to our brains and when we're inundated with smells it can trigger those signals telling ourselves that we are full whether we have eaten or not. I'm sure someone far more intelligent than myself can give you the specific science behind it. Nice job turning out a proper meal though!
gobblegobble

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by slowisfast
I'm a chef by vocation and this always happens to me. The olfactory system plays a huge part in sending hunger signals to our brains and when we're inundated with smells it can trigger those signals telling ourselves that we are full whether we have eaten or not. I'm sure someone far more intelligent than myself can give you the specific science behind it. Nice job turning out a proper meal though!
gobblegobble

Oh yeah, im a cook, i dont believe in ready meals, the finest quality ready meals aint a patch on my grub. But i was so disappointed to not want the food, i mean, turkey, stuffing, pigs in blankets, broccoli, carrots, swede, peas, roast pots and mashed pots and YORKSHIRE puds, and i could barely get three mouthfuls in. oh i forget the cranberry sauce and bread sauce, they were there as well.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I've never had that problem. I love to cook and I love to eat. Don't get me wrong... I'm not overweight, but I'm not into the "health food" thing, either.

The cooking experience to me is like gastronomic alchemy. Gathering the right ingredients. Measuring and mixing the ingredients as required. Placing the ingredients into a boiling pot. Offering a prayer to the Food Gods
. Just the aroma of the baking, boiling, simmering food items are enough to whet my appetite to a crescendo of epicurean desire.

I especially like having guests over, hearing the ooo's and ahhh's and joining them in satisfying dining.
edit on 24-11-2011 by N3k9Ni because: edited for clarity

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This happens to me all the time. I always figured it's because I bought the food...prepped the food, cooked the food so by the time it's ready to serve I no longer care about the food...LOL.
Altho by the day after watch out!!

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife
Well, tonight i decided to cook a xmas dinner, i felt like it and i occasionally do odd things like. I spend ages making it, and i have to say it was very nice. However when i came to eat it, my appetite was completely gone. It has happened to me before and its usually (but not always) when im cooking a large meal.
Does anyone know if there is a scientific reason for it ? or am i just weird. cos it doesnt make sense.

You are not weird!!

I love to cook and esp after cooking all day I hardly ever eat the meal. I don't know what it is but I know exactly what you are talking about!

This usually only happens when I am making a meal that takes all day to cook. I guess it's all the sampling while cooking!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This happens to me all the time! If my boyfriend cooks dinner, I'm ravenous once it's ready to be served.

But if I cook, it's like some kind of food sensory overload. I bought it, prepped it and cooked it. Isn't it time I'm done with all of it now? What - I have to eat it too?

Wonderful job on your holiday dinner. Next time delegate, sip some wine, and delegate some more. Or try to figure out what, if anything, you could prep ahead of time. But yeah, disappointing phenomenon. Especially when you go to the trouble to cook something you've been craving.

top topics

join