It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where did I come from!?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I am completely baffled as to the lack of genetic research on the populations of Burma. Surely the crossroads of eastern and western cultures should have more research done on it's origins and genetic make-up than just guesses and assumptions. I have searched for hours trying to find information on DNA haplogroups in Burma and have found nothing. Yes, I realize that the Burmese Govt doesn't want foreigners snooping around the country, but hey, I've been to the place and as long as you stay in tourist areas, the Govt couldn't care less. Right now, just through guesses people have made, the major contributors to the modern Burmese are; Tibetans, Thais/Chinese, Turks, Hindus/Sikhs, Persians, and Greeks. Minor contributors include; Armenians, Mongols, Semitics, and Portuguese. The British Anglo-Saxons came too soon and in too few numbers to effectively change the genetic makeup of the country.
However, I would like to see some definitive genetic research done. I'm really curious to learn more about my roots!

ps- I realize we all have roots in Africa, and in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't even matter, but this is just out of curiosity.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MegasAlexandros

Have you made a dna test of yourself, by a doctor or something, so you can compare it ?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

I'm thinking about it. It's expensive, and I alone do not count for the whole Burmese population. However, it would be very useful in finding my personal ancestors.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

dna.ancestry.com has cheek swab tests for 149 dollars,

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dillon123

Isn't there a conspiracy around ancestry.com? Sorry if I am wrong, just on lunch break and don't have the time to research it.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dillon123

There is your answer...

I'm confused, where is the 'conspiracy' here? Are there people trying to prevent you from finding out? What am I missing?

Just wondering... Maybe you're Jesus, or maybe just a guy, playing a guy, who is just a man...

"If it is not a conspiracy, it does not belong on ATS" - semperfortis

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

I live in a country very much like Burma. I think you will find that the Burmese majority, who are Theravada Buddhists of a particular ethnicity, cling to a race-myth that asserts their superiority over the various minority groups in Burma, against whom the majority is forever conducting pogroms and making war. The last thing they would want to hear is that they are people of greatly mixed blood.

I may be wrong, and if this is a slander against the majority of Burmese I apologize. But I know Asia and Asians well; I am, in fact, one myself. Racism and cultural chauvinism are more deeply entrenched in Asia than anywhere in the West.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I'd have to say you are exactly right! The Government has been pushing the whole "pro-Chinese" thing for a while just because the two are allies. They think that if they become like the Chinese, the country will prosper like China. Well, it's been a total and utter fail! The Government also hates the west, so the last thing they want is to have a significant Greek, Persian, or Turk DNA admixture revealed.

join