It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world would be a better place if everybody learned to think like scientists

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Scientists are overrated.

The world would be a better place if people learned to think like mathematicians.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

They are all over rated.
It would be abetter world if we stopped thinking!!

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by 547000

They are all over rated.
It would be abetter world if we stopped thinking!!

The world would be a better place if we stopped living.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

For you maybe.

Just stop thinking and all the troubles go away.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
If you don't exist, you'll never have to experience sorrow. Ergo a preventive measure is to stop existing.

If we stopped thinking we'd have to follow the laws of the wild anyway. I don't think animals are so free from trouble.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Animals live, humans suffer.
The world is not a scary bad place. It is the mind that tortures people. The thoughts about the world, the thoughts about 'my' survival.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

reply to post by 547000

Animals live, humans suffer.
The world is not a scary bad place. It is the mind that tortures people. The thoughts about the world, the thoughts about 'my' survival.

One day you're gonna have to start a thread on how you became so profound.....

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

Are you serious?
The word profound??
Pro could be read as professional and Found is not lost. Or Pro is for.
I am not lost, i am found.
edit on 29-11-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Are you serious?
The word profound??
Pro could be read as professional and Found is not lost. Or Pro is for.
I am not lost, i am found.

Don't start pulling the semantics card on me now. I'm sure you know exactly what I mean.

pro·found

*Adjective: (of a state, quality, or emotion) Very great or intense.
*Noun: The vast depth of the ocean or of the mind.
*Synonyms:
adjective. deep - thorough - sound
noun. profundity - depth - deep - abyss - chasm

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Sorry, i wasn't playing semantics, i was trying to be profound. Words are like keys. It is all written in the words.
I like alone and all one. And nowhere and now-here. Words facinate me, they fall apart and explode around me and become so much more.
edit on 29-11-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Many times God is indirectly attacked simply because His followers do not practice what they preach, so I can understand why one would choose to slam religion. God has taken the heat for many things his followers have been wrong about.
The Bible may be the word of God, but it was written by Man, so It goes without saying that you can expect to find many discrepancies and errors in Biblical (mis)interpretations. Still there have been instances where modern science has been able to confirm certain things that have been mentioned in the Bible since ancient times, (Ex: why certain foods are taboo) so it is safe to say that science continues to catch up to the Bible on many levels.

Now, regarding the topic at hand, what makes you think science has all the answers and would be any better as an ideal model for man?

Recent events have shown science can be wrong, can fail and can also become corrupt.
Science came up with the vaccines and gases for the purpose of euthanizing unwanted pets, yet reports keep coming out that certain of these have been ineffective in the humane killing of animals.

Remember the dog that was gassed twice yet survived both times and has since Ben adopted.
Also, I've heard of at least three separate instances where a dog owner euthanizes his dog, takes the body home for burial the next day, only to awaken and find the pet wide awake with a wildly wagging tail.
As far as corruption goes, don't forget about all those fake Global Warming emails.

Point is, man is man, so even scientists can give science a bad name.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
How would a scientist think about and practice religion differently? I can't think of anything myself, but I'm not a scientist.
edit on 29-11-2011 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

My most amazing revelations I have had in life fall well outside the remit of logic and rationality... I think if everyone thought like a scientists we would have destroyed the world by now..

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hehe, good post. But not just think like scientists.

Scientists Should Rule The World- Not Politicians!

A thread I did some time ago on this subject after coming to the conclusion that if politicians continue to rule the world, it's just going to get worse.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Many times God is indirectly attacked simply because His followers do not practice what they preach, so I can understand why one would choose to slam religion. God has taken the heat for many things his followers have been wrong about.
The Bible may be the word of God, but it was written by Man, so It goes without saying that you can expect to find many discrepancies and errors in Biblical (mis)interpretations. Still there have been instances where modern science has been able to confirm certain things that have been mentioned in the Bible since ancient times, (Ex: why certain foods are taboo) so it is safe to say that science continues to catch up to the Bible on many levels.

Thankyou for your honesty. I do believe in a 'God' of sorts, but nothing like the traditional idea of God which most western religions hold to. And I am with you on the Bible as well, it is a beautiful on a metaphorical level, and is and continues to be a very accurate historical document, but I am totally against following it to the letter specifically due to the reasons you mentioned above. I do not doubt that many of it's authors were in fact very spiritually inspired, but I've got no doubt many of them including some of Jesus' disciples were not.

Now, regarding the topic at hand, what makes you think science has all the answers and would be any better as an ideal model for man?

Recent events have shown science can be wrong, can fail and can also become corrupt.
Science came up with the vaccines and gases for the purpose of euthanizing unwanted pets, yet reports keep coming out that certain of these have been ineffective in the humane killing of animals.

Remember the dog that was gassed twice yet survived both times and has since Ben adopted.
Also, I've heard of at least three separate instances where a dog owner euthanizes his dog, takes the body home for burial the next day, only to awaken and find the pet wide awake with a wildly wagging tail.
As far as corruption goes, don't forget about all those fake Global Warming emails.

Point is, man is man, so even scientists can give science a bad name.

Too true. As with what you what you mentioned about religion in your initial post. Man is man, and easily corruptible. But I've never argued that scientist should be held up on a pedestal and revered and the ones who hold all the answers. The post is merely about thinking in a scientific way. Demanding proof before forming an opinion on a certain situation.

Now obviously not all concepts are able to provide proof, at least in today’s world. When it comes to questions regarding the ultimate nature of reality, big questions about the origins of life or the universe, why is everything the way it is, there is no proof to be had. But one can still deduce the likely correctness of certain concepts using logic.

Scientists are as corruptible as anyone else, but the scientific method has many applications far beyond the laboratory.

As for the global warming emails, when you have 1000s of humans collaborating in a massive project, you are bound to have a few bad apples. But of the 100s of emails hacked, very few actually showed any evidence of wrong doing or data manipulation, and I do not think the actions of a few completely write off the overwhelming evidence that man is most likely the cause of global warming, nor does it discount the devastating effects that have been shown to more than likely occur if this warming is not halted and reversed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join