It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Arrests 12 CIA Agents

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Iran Arrests 12 CIA Agents

news.sky.com

Iran claims to have arrested 12 CIA agents and accused them of planning to strike at Iranian interests.
IRNA state media quoted an influential politician as saying that the agents were working in collusion with Israel.

Parviz Sorouri, who sits on the powerful foreign policy and national security committee, said the spy network aimed to damage Iran's security, military and nuclear sectors.

"The US and Zionist regime's espionage apparatuses were trying to damage Iran both from inside and outside with a heavy blow, using regional intelligence services," said Sorouri.

"Fortunately,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
It should be noted that Iran has made claims like this before, which the US has dismissed as groundless.

If true, however, the potential implications are significant. Especially as tensions between Iran and the United States are running particularly high right now.

If Iran is lying, is this just another routine lie? Or is there something different about the nature and timing of this lie? Twelve is a lot.

If they are telling the truth, what will the US response be? If they are truly there, what was their mission? Will it become another hostage issue?

The story is just breaking so we need more information and corroboration. But keep your eye on it. The timing of the declaration of Iran -- Thanksgiving morning US time -- is interesting as well.
edit on 11/24/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
So Iran caught more hikers eh?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

No, no hikers, "peace keepers" they were peace keepers.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
it wouldn't surprise me if we had CIA working over there..

The US has a pretty lengthy track record of covert operations.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

The CIA has basically lost its network of spies in Lebanon and suffered a major setback in its efforts to infiltrate Iran, all because it screwed up basic tradecraft—including communicating with spies on trackable cell phones and using the indecipherable code word "PIZZA" to denote planned meetings at a Beirut Pizza Hut.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
i don't think it is so much that Iran did a round up of a dozen CIA' assets'

it is also the unknown intelligence they undoubtedly have...those 12 that were captured are only the ones that Iran wanted the USA to know about.

there is likely to be talks (under the table) that are going on 'un-officially' to leverage the Iranian position, lets say about their nuclear programs V. sanctions

more news will be forthcoming in the weeks ahead no doubt concerning the Western preparations of the 'Attack'

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Isn't it policy that if you get caught you don't exist and they will deny you were ever there???

The US will never admit to any of the crooked crap they pull. Everything is illegal unless they do it...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Well of course we are going to have operatives in Iran, but I am left with a lingering question...Were these American citizens, or Israelis? I have a feeling that some of these spies were recruited as assets, since they were probably already Iranian citizens, and were in a certain position that could be exploited for information...or more.

That is the usual M.O. of the CIA in foreign countries. At least it used to be. I haven't read up on this particular occurrence, so I do not know if they were actual spies, or just civilian assets...Or maybe Iranian military.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmArTbEaTz
Isn't it policy that if you get caught you don't exist and they will deny you were ever there???

No, you were only an unaffiliated contracted security consultant.

The US has been known to pay very well for the return of these consultants in the past.

Iran should consider it a blank check and name their price.

Fighting Iran with a covert operation was stupid, they've got Russian and Chinese intelligence aiding them now, along with all of the most advanced tools of the trade.

The US and Israel need to put up or shut up... A few well targeted bunkerbusters fitted with small tactical nukes to take out key facilities, underground command and control, combined with airstrikes to take out leadership, and defenses... And the war is over..... But then.... ?

Either that, or learn to accept a nuclear Iran, and greater Russian and Chinese influence and power in the region, go home, focus on domestic agendas, the economy, jobs etc.

Accept the defeat of western influence, the rejection of western democracy and capitalism, and a world were the USA is no longer dominant.

Easy choices eh?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Yeah, it was me I starred your post.

So, according to reports from days ago, seems like these professional spies
got kind of sloppy....

the agency decided to cryptically refer to its secret meet-up spot as "PIZZA," that helped two Hezbollah double-agents infer that the location may have been a pizza restaurant. And it was! So Hezbollah kept an eye on a Beirut Pizza Hut gawker.com...

edit on 24-11-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I'm not completely sure if this is the same story, but I started this thread a few days ago:

Report: Dozens of U.S. spies captured in Lebanon and Iran

The article in the OP goes on to say:

According to a report by ABC News, there were two distinct espionage rings targeting Iran and Hezbollah in which spies were recruited by the CIA.

Current and former U.S. officials said the two different spy rings were discovered separately but both caused a significant setback in U.S. efforts to track Iran's nuclear activities and Hezbollah actions against Israel.

Source

It sounds like the same event, it's just the article in your OP explains the Iranian spy ring in more detail.

That's a lot of spies to uncover.
edit on 24-11-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

makes me wonder how long have the Iranians known about these Spy cells and just allowed them to go on planning until now when the wheels of war and movement of troops tightens around Iran.?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Yeah, it was me I starred your post.

That has to be a sarcastic star, right?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by stake

The CIA has basically lost its network of spies in Lebanon and suffered a major setback in its efforts to infiltrate Iran, all because it screwed up basic tradecraft—including communicating with spies on trackable cell phones and using the indecipherable code word "PIZZA" to denote planned meetings at a Beirut Pizza Hut.

How do you know for sure (all the the above) that you have stated? What or whom are your sources?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
They werent agents. CIA Agents are not spies. They are recruiters.

Learn how the CIA works.

They use Local Assets. Call them spies , or Assets.

-------------------------

Also , the CIA doesnt just make mistakes. There are boards that run each operation and are screened for flaws constantly.

Not to mention they have the biggest black budget of any non government organization in the world which makes some of these claims already negligent of scrutiny by the officials that posted this and seemed not to investigate the issue to its full discourse.

------------------------

Spies on the other hand are offered very little technological assets and are based off of culture , social networks , code words , and simple every day devices.

The less the Agent has physical contact with the asset. The better. This is why we have acids and special material that dissolves under certain circumstances so no physical assets can be traced with the spy .. unless the spy was a double agent.
--------------------------

Most likely what happened was a ASSET or SPY turned and became a double back for the Iranians.

Believe it or not , a lot of spies or assets are recruited : Criminals / Gang / Mafia type related in American terms.
--------------------------

Some one will ask the question, "Who gets all the technology and advanced tools!?" .... satellites do. They can do more things than a man on the ground can do but satellites have time frames , weather conditions in space and on Earth. Men are actually cheaper to use , however , do you risk him being captured and linked to your nation? Or do you use Satellites and Assets though more expensive , but more production and relatively risk free and keeps the agent further from the action but yet still a viable tool.

----------------------------

Before some one starts thinking, "BUT I PLAYED SPLINTER CELL!!".
Yes , operations happen like in the game , but not the firefights and stealth. A Solo lone wolf warrior going in to kick ass! No. He may be solo he may not be solo. He may have weapons , he may not have weapons. He may have advanced camo and tools , or he may have on simple work suits / or simple everyday clothes with a disk in his pocket.

Facts about CIA Operations i have witnessed in the War zone

- Do they use Solo agents with advanced weapons and support technology? Yes
- Solo paramilitary agents are rarely used? Yes
- Most of the time they are in teams of 4? Yes
- They have physical enhancements that are highly classified? Yes
- Do they get in firefights? Rarely / should never be in that situation
- Do they blow stuff up? If needed.
- How do they survive? Advanced survival training , and very special MREs that looks like water / jello.
- What if they are killed in said foreign nation and cant be recovered? Body will either be recovered through assets , or defaced through other means that are agreed too.. lets put it that way.

There are also several different CELL specialties (Paramilitary) , kind of like a MOS (Military Occupational Skill).

They are only there to gather advanced intel about the enemy nation and infiltrate its technological assets. That is all that the paramilitary does. (When deployed in a combat zone)

The Military does everything else that deals with killing , blowing up.

-----------

Theres your little breakdown about the CIA.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I still dont see why the US can have nukes and constantly invade sovereign nations yet iran cant have any, seems like its only because Israel doesn't want the power in the ME to be skewed, fairly obvious really

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
They werent agents. CIA Agents are not spies. They are recruiters.

No, agents are generally not recruiters. They may recruit sub-agents, but recruiting is properly the job of case officers.

Learn how the CIA works.

When you can get the jargon right, you can lecture people on how the CIA works.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

No, I actually meant that sincerely...
Sometimes reality is just not kind, or fair, and you pretty much summed that up well
with your post.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I call it the way I see it, most of the time anyway... And too often I really don't like what I see, and that is nearly impossible to express.

Thanks for the clarification.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join