It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governor sounds death knell for executions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Governor sounds death knell for executions

www.smh.com.au

SAYING he ''simply cannot participate in something I believe to be morally wrong'', the Oregon governor, John Kitzhaber, has declared a moratorium on the death penalty, granting a temporary reprieve for an inmate who has battled in the courts to hasten his own execution.

''The death penalty as practised in Oregon is neither fair nor just, and it is not swift or certain. It is not applied equally to all,'' Dr Kitzhaber, a Democrat, said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

''It is time for Oregon to consider a different approach. I refuse to be a part of this compromised and inequitable system any longer, and I will not allow further executions while I am governor.''

At last! Somebody has come into office with a modicum of common sense and, dare I say it, a heart. The death penalty is a blight on humanity, it is disgusting, morally wrong and quite frankly nothing short of barbaric. I consider those who support and uphold it to be living in the Dark Ages.

Although this moratorium in Oregon, U.S. is only for the length of his term as Governor, my hope is that future governors of not only this state, but other death penalty states wake the hell up and realise they are dragging your country back to the Medieval Dark Ages.

Only two executions have been carried out in the 27 years since Oregon voters authorised the death penalty, both approved by Dr Kitzhaber and both involving inmates who had waived further appeals.

''They were the most agonising and difficult decisions I have made as governor, and I have revisited and questioned them over and over again during the past 14 years,'' Dr Kitzhaber, a former emergency room doctor, said. ''I do not believe that those executions made us safer; and certainly they did not make us nobler as a society.
Reprieve ... convicted killer Gary Haugen's execution will not go on as scheduled next month.

''It is a perversion of justice that the single best indicator of who will and will not be executed has nothing to do with the circumstances of a crime or the findings of a jury. The only factor that determines whether someone sentenced to death in Oregon is actually executed is that they volunteer.''

Read More: www.smh.com.au...

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Great to that gov,

It is not for us humans to judge.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged."

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Completely agree. Integrity means walking the walk of what you believe. Many Christians support it, they say and eye for an eye, quoting the old testament, and walking away from Christ who said, you may have heard of an eye for an eye, but I tell you this, turn the other cheek, which didn't mean literally do this, it meant non retaliation, which again isn't literal, as in leaving communities vulnerable to a predator. Its metaphor.

However, retaliation and vengeance is NOT self defense. And capital punishment is vengeance.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

While I am not Christian, nor am I religious in any way, shape or form, I do agree with the sentiments. I react very strongly to injustice and that which I believe to be morally wrong.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
"...It is not applied equally to all."

Hmmm....That one got me thinking, "What's he really mean? Death penaty for all?"

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Hi, Kry,

So - not Christ.

Who or what?

Just wondering.

Buddha is a good choice.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

I am not religious in any way, shape or form.

One can believe in right and wrong without religion. It's not that hard.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Yes,

So true.

I just wondered how you can survive in this world without some belief in a better place.

I can't.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Great and wise Governor in my opinion.

Here where I live, the Netherlands, we do not have a death penalty.

I know for a fact that a lot of our judges would resign their jobs if the death penalty was ever to be introduced.

The main reason is that they acknowledge the fact that no human, and no result of a human process can be totally perfect.
They acknowledge that courts can and will make mistakes, so in the end there would be a sentence possible that is wrong, and not correctable.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Of course, you can't make any money off dead prisoners silly.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
I just wondered how you can survive in this world without some belief in a better place.

Easily, I live quite comfortably.

But this thread isn't about religion or beliefs. It's about the death penalty, please let's keep it to that.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
reply to post by Kryties

Yes,

So true.

I can't.

Perhaps, but a "better place" is an idea. An idea that your human brain thought of.

Is that "better place" an objective concept? Completly existing outside of your understanding ?

No this is rubbish, and fool hearted logic at it's best. If you can concieve of an objective(meaning out side of yourself) "better place" than in reality this "better place" is not an objective concept but rather a subjective one. So if YOU can not live without beliveing in an objective "better place" that is simply because of your dictation of consiousness and what it is. Not God or some objective morality.

I am not saying that God dosen't exist. But at the very least our concept of the designer and creator is scewed.
If He It Her exists, God dosent exist as a manifestation of our sexual identity's, nor as a manifestation of our moral standards. Likely if God exists as the creator and life giving force, that we reconize. We are probably just as much an abstract concept to God as "HE" seems to us
edit on 24-11-2011 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrimalRed
Of course, you can't make any money off dead prisoners silly.

Did you know it costs more money to hold and execute someone than it does to imprison them for life?

Besides, this has nothing to do with making money. This Governor is concerned about the morals of execution and whether or not the system lives up to what it claims to do - which is prevent crime. Clearly it does not prevent crime and clearly it is wrong on every conceivable level to punish people by killing them.

Murdering someone for murdering someone to prevent other people from murdering someone is NOT the answer.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

But this thread isn't about religion or beliefs. It's about the death penalty, please let's keep it to that.

But believing that the death penalty is wrong is a belief of yours.

I just wonder if state taxes for Oregon will go up in order to keep housing people on death row? Personally I think it's wrong to keep a violent murderer, especially of children alive, at the expense of other people.

For me, that is a belief, also, and one I strongly believe in.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by supine

But believing that the death penalty is wrong is a belief of yours.

Sigh, perhaps I should have made myself clearer on that - I was talking about RELIGIOUS BELIEFS, not beliefs in general.

I just wonder if state taxes for Oregon will go up in order to keep housing people on death row?

My hope is that this Governor of Oregon begins preparations to have them re-sentenced to life imprisonment. I would bet on the fact a few of them would be found innocent as well - imagine that, an innocent man sitting on death row with barbarians calling for his execution.....

Personally I think it's wrong to keep a violent murderer, especially of children alive, at the expense of other people.

For me, that is a belief, also, and one I strongly believe in.

Personally I believe murdering someone who murdered someone is wrong on every conceivable level and those that support and uphold the death penalty are barbarians living in the dark ages.

But that's just MY belief, and not a religious one either.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Agreed, for every prisoner the tax payer literally pays for the days spent in jail. However more often than not the prison system is spending 50% less per individual than the tax payer pays. In other words, for every tax dollar spent on the prisoner's, 50% of that goes to the prison officials and maintenance staff. I guess the real question is should prisoners be profitable? Should prison jobs be a factor in our job market? Interesting question, because it opens up many avenues of debate. For instance

Should moral status quo, be profitable?
And if so, can this lead to over penalizing and moral gauging to increase profits?

Next, is there a better system to handle justice, than those who are paid?
On the flip side, we all know people with large amounts of cash can pay there way out of legal consequence.

I don’t know I just find this stuff very interesting.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

My hope is that this Governor of Oregon begins preparations to have them re-sentenced to life imprisonment. I would bet on the fact a few of them would be found innocent as well - imagine that, an innocent man sitting on death row with barbarians calling for his execution.....

And who is going to pay for that? My goodness, you are asking for a huge blank check to be written here at the expense of a lot of tax payers. I wouldn't doubt that some of these people who continually say, "but I'm innocent," might be, but who should foot the bill?

Personally I believe murdering someone who murdered someone is wrong on every conceivable level and those that support and uphold the death penalty are barbarians living in the dark ages.

But that's just MY belief, and not a religious one either.

Ok, how about you turn your house into a prison for people who have their sentence commuted to life, and foot the bill?

That can be a life long committment for you!
edit on 24-11-2011 by supine because: add

Here you go. As of right now there approximately 37 of them inmates on death row in Oregon. Can you afford to feed, clothe and house them?

[url=http://www.oregon.gov...]http://www.oregon.gov/DOC/PUBAFF/cap_punishment/cap_punishment.shtml[ /url]

I'm sure movie night will be pleasant. Sitting around eating popcorn with 37 inmates convicted of at least aggravated murder!

edit on 24-11-2011 by supine because: add

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

And who is going to pay for that? My goodness, you are asking for a huge blank check to be written here at the expense of a lot of tax payers. I wouldn't doubt that some of these people who continually say, "but I'm innocent," might be, but who should foot the bill?

You must have missed the part where I mentioned that it costs more to hold and execute somebody than it does to imprison them for life. That execution money would go toward their life imprisonment with money left over to go toward fixing the other problems in your country.

That wasn't that hard to figure out mate.

Ok, how about you turn your house into a prison for people who have their sentence commuted to life, and foot the bill?

Why would I have to do that? They remain in prison, all the prisons have to do is remove the sign that says "Death Row" and redirect the savings from the executions towards improving security, or more cells, or whatever the money could be used for.
edit on 24/11/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Here you go. As of right now there approximately 37 of them inmates on death row in Oregon. Can you afford to feed, clothe and house them?

www.oregon.gov...

I'm sure movie night will be pleasant. Sitting around eating popcorn with 37 inmates convicted of at least aggravated murder!

In the time it took you to find this info and edit your post, you could have read my response which proves that you are completely wrong.

Plus I fixed your link

edit on 24/11/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join