It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calif. parents can kiss rights goodbye

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Come January, a leading California pro-family group says parents in The Golden State will discover "how intrusive" a new anti-family law will be on their parental rights.

S.B. 48, which was recently signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown (D), will take effect January 1, 2012 and mandate positive teachings of lesbian, "gay," bisexual, and transgender contributions to children of all ages.

The Traditional Values Coalition (TVC) says all curricula will be affected by the law, so Benjamin Lopez, the group's legislative analyst, encourages parents to "very carefully" scrutinize the material their children will be bringing home, as it will likely be filled with "homosexual propaganda."

www.onenewsnow.com...
this is so sicking what the heck is wrong with these people this should NEVER be taught in school
these things are for the parents to teach the birds and the bees not anyone else especially this type of stuff
please people watch what they are teaching your young ones while they are away from you this type of thing needs to be stopped now
I pray Jesus come quickly
edit on 24-11-2011 by WeAreNothingWithoutGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Homosexuals exist.How is acknowledging that propaganda?I bet it is mere tokenism at best.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
listen, whether you agree with homosexuality or not i do think it is a good thing to teach kids not to judge anyone..Homosexuals are still very targeted when it comes to hate crimes. Hatred and judgement need to stop. And before anyone throws the god card in let me just say it says in the bible that we are not to judge..PERIOD. Its not our place. People Should not be afraid to be who they are. Kids need to be taught, not about homosexuality, but that homosexuals exsist and bleed the same way you do. Its about equality and the less ignorance out there the better. Homosexuality is not contagious!!! Stop treating it like it is.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Kids should be given a permission slip to be signed by their parents first to authorize permission for such a discussion. Any parents whom are uncomfortable with this topic, can refuse to have their children taught this.

That is how it SHOULD be handled.

Topics involving sexual discussion in school, should require the parents permission FIRST for those students under 18 years of age.

PERIOD.
edit on 24-11-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

Topics involving sexual discussion in school, should require the parents permission FIRST for those students under 18 years of age.

Why not math discussion? Or history discussion? You cannot just pick from the curriculum what you like, education is compulsory. And sexual education is an important part of the curriculum, too.

As for the thread topic, I have mixed feelings, but if the same thing is done for ethnic minorities, I dont see why not include sexual minorities, which are also often discriminated against.
edit on 24/11/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/11/11 by Maslo because: mistake

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
But it doesn't say that little kids will be taught about the intricacies of homosexual intimacy, it says it will teach about positive contributions from homosexual/transgendered people. It's not about sex. It can be as simple as explaining that there are all kinds of families and they can all be good people even if they aren't quite like your mom and dad.

You have to be realistic. Things are really hard on this community. They are bullied and targeted and picked on incessantly in schools. Gay kids everywhere are committing suicide because they are bullied so badly.

EVERYONE, not even just kids but definitely including kids, NEED to be taught not to judge. This is a serious issue people. Children are dying thanks to bigotry. Regardless of your religion or how you feel about homosexuality, the discrimination has to stop.

To anyone who thinks this is intrusive and children shouldn't be forced to learn not to discriminate against homosexual or transgendered people, just remember that your child could be gay and the tables could be turned. Would you want your child taken from you because someone else's parent wasn't comfortable with their child learning not to judge kids different from them?
edit on 24-11-2011 by ladykenzie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
Kids should be given a permission slip to be signed by their parents first to authorize permission for such a discussion. Any parents whom are uncomfortable with this topic, can refuse to have their children taught this.

That is how it SHOULD be handled.

PERIOD.
edit on 24-11-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

What are you afraid of? Down to the core?

Open up and let your children learn of all the world, not just of suburbia.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
those comments were so ignorant in response to that article.
gay lesbian whatever....your still human...people need to address that fact...eventually laws come through. while i think this could cause confusion for younger ages...i think its something that could be beneficial in the long run.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by WeAreNothingWithoutGOD

I'm thinking your sole source of information on the SB-48 is through biased "news" outlets. If you actually read the bill description, you'll see it is simply a push to include previously-ignored people in history. We had to do it with minorities a while back because, for decades, bible-belt folks were afraid kids might "get the wrong idea" and get the notion that black people just might have done some important things in history. Now we have awesome people of all ethnicities in our text books.

This is the same. For decades, US text books (controlled in Texas, mind you) have often neglected to mention people of note if they were gay or even disabled (this bill covers disabled people, too). All this does is correct the ignorance we've been letting into our curriculum. You know how many past heroes and powerful public figures have been left out because of their orientation or physical ability? Tons.

edit on 24-11-2011 by Cuervo because: Coffee...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Oh noes, run!

The government is gonna make you teach your kids not to hassle the gays. That's the worst thing in the world isn't it?

And as stated above, this isn't about sex. It's actually about diversity, respect and inclusion as far as I can tell.

In any case, IMO it's not the governments business, that's the parents job not to raise a bigotted little snot, but maybe this will prevent another 17 year old from being murdered in cold blood down the line.

As for the praying for Jesus to come "save" you from the "homosexual propaganda". He would be the first to tell you not judge and love they neighboor. He would also be the first to say that everybody is equaly important.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

What rights are parents losing? They still have the "right" to try to force their hate and bigotry into the minds of their children through religious coercion and intimidation. All this does is allow the presentation of a different opinion from the fear and loathing being hammered into the minds of children by abusive asshole parents who view their children as property that needs to be trained like an attack dog to hate the same people the parent hates.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeAreNothingWithoutGOD

Come January, a leading California pro-family group says parents in The Golden State will discover "how intrusive" a new anti-family law will be on their parental rights.

S.B. 48, which was recently signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown (D), will take effect January 1, 2012 and mandate positive teachings of lesbian, "gay," bisexual, and transgender contributions to children of all ages.

The Traditional Values Coalition (TVC) says all curricula will be affected by the law, so Benjamin Lopez, the group's legislative analyst, encourages parents to "very carefully" scrutinize the material their children will be bringing home, as it will likely be filled with "homosexual propaganda."

www.onenewsnow.com...
this is so sicking what the heck is wrong with these people this should NEVER be taught in school
these things are for the parents to teach the birds and the bees not anyone else especially this type of stuff
please people watch what they are teaching your young ones while they are away from you this type of thing needs to be stopped now
I pray Jesus come quickly
edit on 24-11-2011 by WeAreNothingWithoutGOD because: (no reason given)

No offense, but given your spelling, grammar, punctuation, and blatantly discriminatory point of view against gays and lesbians, I think you might need to go back to school, and get an education.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Kids should be given a permission slip to be signed by their parents first to authorize permission for such a discussion. Any parents whom are uncomfortable with this topic, can refuse to have their children taught this. That is how it SHOULD be handled. Topics involving sexual discussion in school, should require the parents permission FIRST for those students under 18 years of age. PERIOD.

EVERYONE, not even just kids but definitely including kids, NEED to be taught not to judge. This is a serious issue people. Children are dying thanks to bigotry. Regardless of your religion or how you feel about homosexuality, the discrimination has to stop.

yes I agree with these

people will be who they are but my point is, it is not the governments job to teach small children about these sort of things.
that should be the parents job not theirs, especially the little ones who are the future, who still have large imaginations,
I am not judging anyone but the system who tries to brainwash you while you are small and make you think how they want you to think

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I really don't mean to be rude or condescending, but I think you either don't fully understand the reality of the situation in the world, or don't fully understand the meaning of this law.

Should schools not have the right to teach students the positive contributions that women have made to society? How about the Chinese, how about children, how about Christians?
That's all it is.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I understand the significance of teaching children that the great Martin Luther King Jr. was also black. It's a very important detail in what he was and did. But unless the particular historical figure was a great leader in some way related to their "group", I think that going out of your way to point out someone who created a new, revolutionary metal alloy was a homosexual, is teaching kids that it's important to catagorize people.
Typical liberal thinking. Let's erase the differences between everyone by continously making our differences important.

Something also tells me that if they rewrite all of the text books to include the sexual status or race, etc, of minorities, they will also conveniently leave out those details for straight, white men.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I think this is just one more thing for parents who already don't have the proper amount of time to spend and be involved with their kids will have to worry about. The load is already massive for the traditional american family
that now sees both parents working and barely making ends meet. I love the way they just keep piling it on too.

Gee I wonder if they might be trying to break the back of the traditional american home ? For me, shows like
" Family Guy " certainly do suggest that someone is trying to do just that. Nothing but sick twisted crap in my opinion. Biased BS against the american Dad at least. Portraying him to be a worthless halfwit at best.

Only way to beat this is a good relationship with your kids. Of course that isn't independent of your financial
ability these days. All others ? I think all bets were off a long time ago anyway.
Gonna have to bring the wife in and let her see this. I think I'm going to demand home schooling.

Thanks for the heads up op. I myself promise to pray more. Flag
edit on 24-11-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
To often topics like tolerance and acceptance of homosexuality which is important, become lost in emotional bickering because once the topic is addressed, supporters lose all sight of reason and decide to push it until they get rebuttal.
Right or wrong, when you look for a fight, you usually find one.

Should homosexuality be addressed in school? Yes, but No more than heterosexuality has been focused on and only in the context of pure education.
and not at "ANY AGE".
Addressing sexual preferance at all to young children is ignorant, and emotionally abusive...so get off the high horse. It won't be.
Every parent I know would blow a fuse and lynch the teaching staff if they found sexual propaganda on their young child, and you would too.

Tolerance for everyone should be taught, however specific gropus should not be singled out even in a positive way.
grouping = stereotyping.

Glorifying any sexual preferance ( or any topic) for the sake of "being fair" is not educational, it's a "feel good" move for fanatics with agendas that do not include the best intrest of children or education.

Addressing any sexual preferance/topic specifically should be handled in upper grades alongside sex ed classes, and of course with parental acknowledgement.
Parents still have the right to decide what topics are taught to their children. If they don't like it, home schooling is an option BEFORE the topic is breach with the child.

I have no clue why anyone would have to address homosexuality or heterosexuality in public school, outside biology class period.
It's all political and has nothing to do witht he best intrest of our children.

Be youself and long as it doesnt infringe on others.
Be tolerant of other when they aren't infringing on you.
Do not sacrifice anyone for the sake of your agenda... accept and be tolerant if you expect others to be tolerant of you.
lastly, use common sense.. if you can;t pull this one off, you won't be able to pull off the first two.

Keep your politics away from my child, thanks.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaiju
I understand the significance of teaching children that the great Martin Luther King Jr. was also black. It's a very important detail in what he was and did. But unless the particular historical figure was a great leader in some way related to their "group", I think that going out of your way to point out someone who created a new, revolutionary metal alloy was a homosexual, is teaching kids that it's important to catagorize people.
Typical liberal thinking. Let's erase the differences between everyone by continously making our differences important.

Something also tells me that if they rewrite all of the text books to include the sexual status or race, etc, of minorities, they will also conveniently leave out those details for straight, white men.

I don't think you understand. Many of those people aren't currently in these text books. This is a bill to include people that were previously ignored for various taboos and to take another look at history to see what we missed without looking through bigot-glasses. The fact they've been ignored does mean that their orientations or disabilities played a role in their lives. It's taken many significant people far into their afterlives to be recognized for their deeds. I don't think people realize how many gaps there are because of our prior ignorance.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

???
It's not 'glorifying' homosexuality. It's changing the way that the classroom has blacked out certain things because it involved homosexuals and the subject has been so taboo.

I really don't see this at all as singling out homosexuals, it's just moving away the singling out of homosexuals in history to ignored based on their sexual preference.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think this situation is a little different. This isn't just a liberal push for affirmative action-type changes, or for rewriting every history book to make certain people feel special~ this is a bona fide issue, there is a serious serious problem of kids being violent toward their gay peers and changing the thinking of those kids ASAP is more important than playing politics.

The gay/transgendered issue is a little bit unique IMO and really does require some special care until society is able to get over this sad hurdle. It's pretty bad right now and ignoring the issue obviously isn't helping anyone to stop categorizing each other or else gay kids wouldn't be killed by their peers or by their own hand.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Only a sick, twisted mind would consider it a good thing to teach children about these topics at school. Apparently California has a ton of sick, twisted minds representing the people (though that's old news). School is not a damn social experiment or indoctrination center. School is a place for learning the basics; reading, writing, arithmetic, science and history. Sexual matters should be taught by parents....at HOME!

I agree with HangTheTraitors that things like this should require a permission slip. Even further, it should be an OPT-IN rather than an OPT-OUT.

Disgusting!

Why to go, California!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join