It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The newly liberated Libya...............

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Rock Ape

I have very high hopes for this country. All that coast line - all that Roman history. Bring on the tourists
It's got a hell of a lot going for it.

I hope they do pay off NATO. I heard a spokesman state that they appreciated the efforts of the UK et al but that would not lead to them being given preferential treatment when bidding for contracts - that was not going to be the way the new Libya would be conducting it's business.

They have captured Gaddafi's son and rejected the International criminal court's desire to try him. It is important to them that they demonstrate to Libyans and the world that he will have a fair trial...the base line for an open and democratic nation.

My friend's joy is palpable and contagious but he was genuinely traumatised that Gaddafi ordered gunfire to be used on his own people who were peacefully protesting in the initial stages of this revolution. People are protesting here too (not on the same scale) and we too have a pretty good level of social wealth, however, imagine if our govt. ordered our military (or others) to open fire on the OWS protesters at St Paul's or elsewhere - I think the whole country would awaken abruptly from its complacency and take to the streets.
edit on 25-11-2011 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

so you are confident then that people will not end up fighting over the 'spoils'

everybody will get their share of the cake.

one group won't take over and keep most of the cakes for themselves and all their mates?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

They're going for democracy not communism. Look at my last post again - it is full of 'hope' not confidence. I anticipate a period of adjustment - and problems but I HOPE that doesn't last long.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

ah cool, the democracy where the few in control at the top decide who gets a slice of cake. guess there is no reason not to stick with the tried and tested.

it certainly won't be easy keeping the many different sections happy.

news.yahoo.com...

edit on 25-11-2011 by JohnySeagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I like the link. These people are in transitional posts.

Libya's interim PM has named a new transitional cabinet, the first step to forming an elected government.

The new government is tasked with drafting a constitution and holding democratic elections by next June.

Correspondents say the line-up is aimed at soothing the rivalries between regional factions.

Meanwhile, the International Criminal Court has accepted that Col Gaddafi's captured son Saif al-Islam will be tried in Libya, not The Hague.

ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said the court had issued an arrest warrant for Saif al-Islam on war crimes charges because Libya's justice system was not up to it.

He said this was no longer the case, but that the ICC would help in any trial.

This democracy that you live in today? Is it fair? Is everybody happy? Is the wealth evenly spread among the population? Is everyone given the same opportunity? No? Can you become involved to effect change? Yes?

Will you have to kill to gain parity - or will you simply not elect them at the next vote?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

i can understand your logic and positvity.

its just not something i have personal experience of.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

I like the link. These people are in transitional posts.

Libya's interim PM has named a new transitional cabinet, the first step to forming an elected government.

The new government is tasked with drafting a constitution and holding democratic elections by next June.

Correspondents say the line-up is aimed at soothing the rivalries between regional factions.

Meanwhile, the International Criminal Court has accepted that Col Gaddafi's captured son Saif al-Islam will be tried in Libya, not The Hague.

ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said the court had issued an arrest warrant for Saif al-Islam on war crimes charges because Libya's justice system was not up to it.

He said this was no longer the case, but that the ICC would help in any trial.

This democracy that you live in today? Is it fair? Is everybody happy? Is the wealth evenly spread among the population? Is everyone given the same opportunity? No? Can you become involved to effect change? Yes?

Will you have to kill to gain parity - or will you simply not elect them at the next vote?

Can you become involved to effect change? Yes?

No you cant because when someone tries to involved it usual means nothing and no you cant effect change alot of times and most often peoples opinions viewpoints dont mean anything and do have an effect.

For example the governments banned the classic lightbulbs the people didnt want that you think they would care for there opinions?

This democracy that you live in today? Is it fair? Is everybody happy

Is it fair? Is everybody happy

You must be crazy if you think or believe that our democracy is anything but fair.

Is everybody happy? huh no since everytime its always the same elite winning the same puppet, just look at Americas democracy lets take a look at the line up shall we now?

Richard Nixon-Gerald Ford-VP Nelson Rockefeller-Jimmy Carter-Ronald reagan-George H. W. Bush-Bill clinton-GW Bush-Obama oh boy what aline up of elites
and you call this fair?

Is the wealth evenly spread among the population? Is everyone given the same opportunity?

Is the wealth evenly spread among the population?
Never not in million years if the elites there wont be a need for more wars.

Is everyone given the same opportunity?

Only the 1% are given the same opportunity, the 99% of the population works hard for the rest there live they work like sheeps and live like sheeps they have less time for vacation well the 1% elites of the population can go anytime they please.

They're going for democracy not communism

Whats the difference? they are in a way the same systems you know theres an old saying that goes.

Democracy is the worst form of government.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I didn’t say our democracy was ‘fair’ – I asked if the op thought it was fair –It patently isn’t. But you can get involved – easily- without guns being necessary to effect change.

Here in the UK the political parties have Hustings meeting to determine what their policies will be. I spoke to a woman recently about one of these events and she said the one she had attended ‘was brilliant! Just like the old days – there must have been at least 50 people there.’ The one I attended had a few nice ladies in attendance who had also brought along their knitting. My point is the facility IS there – but people aren’t picking up on it. And because people aren’t actively engaging with the democratic facilities that are available the same disparity will continue until they do.

I say - ‘Is the wealth evenly spread?’ - You say ‘never in a million years’
I know – that’s my point. Our democracy ain’t all that – and the current financial crises has exposed who will pay – the taxpayer – us.

I understand not everyone is giving the same opportunities – again I was simply pointing out that our own democracies and societies are far from perfect.

Can you explain how in heaven’s name you can regard democracy as being the same as communism? I must admit you have me scratching my head in bemusement with that one.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join