It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yemen President Ali Abdullah Saleh To Quit Amid Protests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Yemen's autocratic leader agreed Wednesday to step down after months of demonstrations against his 33-year rule, pleasing the U.S. and its Gulf allies who feared that collapsing security in the impoverished nation was allowing an active al-Qaida franchise to step up operations. President Ali Abdullah Saleh is the fourth leader to lose power in the wave of Arab Spring uprisings this year, following longtime dictators in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya. But the deal ushering Saleh from power grants him immunity from prosecution and doesn't explicitly ban him from the country's political life — raising doubts that it will address Yemen's many problems.

The deal opens the way to what will likely be a messy power struggle. Among those possibly vying for power are Saleh's son and nephew, who command the country's best-equipped military units; powerful tribal leaders; and the commander of a renegade battalion.

The deal falls far short of the demands of the tens of thousands of protesters who have doggedly called for democratic reforms in public squares across Yemen since January, sometimes facing lethal crackdowns by Saleh's forces. Protesters camped out in the capital of Sanaa immediately rejected the deal, chanting, "No immunity for the killer!" They vowed to continue their protests.

President Barack Obama welcomed the decision, saying the U.S. would stand by the Yemeni people "as they embark on this historic transition." King Abdullah also praised Saleh, telling Yemenis the plan would "open a new page in your history" and lead to greater freedom and prosperity. Saleh, believed to be in his late 60s, addressed members of the Saudi royal family and international diplomats at the signing ceremony, portraying himself as a victim who sought to preserve security and democracy but was forced out by power-hungry forces serving a "foreign agenda."

Well, the people of Yemen wanted change, and that is what they'll get. Whether or not it is positive, we'll have to wait and see.

I do love when I see change come from protests. Gives me hope. Funny how the Obama administration supports foreign protesters, but not our own.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
Funny how the Obama administration supports foreign protesters, but not our own.

In exactly what context are you utilizing the word "supports" here?
Can you please elaborate what defines "support" means to you?

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

Originally posted by MysticPearl
Funny how the Obama administration supports foreign protesters, but not our own.

In exactly what context are you utilizing the word "supports" here?
Can you please elaborate what defines "support" means to you?

Thanks.

In this context, more of a "sheds positive light" on protesters in other countries. This isn't the first time. Now, what the CIA may do behind the scenes to help facilitate uprisings, while true, isn't relevant to what I was referring to.

Simply that Obama, and his administration have commented positively on behalf of the cause of some protesters around the globe. Haven't heard anything positive about protesters within our borders.
edit on 24-11-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

This made me laugh "U.S. and its Gulf allies who feared that collapsing security in the impoverished nation was allowing an active al-Qaida franchise to step up operations" We can fight with them in Libya, but worry about them elsewhere, all strings to the same bow . Personally i do not care who rules where as long as whatever power is by and for the people, about time we kicked all these other no gooders onto a little island somewhere where they can fight and argue and do whatever they like, eventually they will kill each other off, problem solved.

edit on 24-11-2011 by brommas because: (no reason given)

top topics

join