Fox News Viewers Know Less Than People Who Don't Watch Any News: Study

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Fox News viewers are less informed than people who don't watch any news, according to a new poll from Fairleigh Dickinson University.

The poll surveyed New Jersey residents about the uprisings in Egypt and the Middle East, and where they get their news sources. The study, which controlled for demographic factors like education and partisanship, found that "people who watch Fox News are 18-points less likely to know that Egyptians overthrew their government" and "6-points less likely to know that Syrians have not yet overthrown their government" compared to those who watch no news.

This more or less indicates to everyone willing to listen that you should not be spoon fed news or so called news but rather to act and investigate and form your own opinion, however in a world that has obviously been overrun with information overload it has reached a point that such a simple function as individualism is rapidly becoming an extinct idea. You can find more information and the results of the poll figures and questions asked here: publicmind.fdu.edu...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Without looking at the stats, I can tell you why: Fox news isn't news as much as it's opinion.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
If this surprises anyone, they must watch fox news.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

I didn't see anything about alternative news. I unplugged from MSM of all kinds over a year ago. Most people I know don't watch or read any news. This proves they would just be wasting their time.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Well of course. Anyone that can tolerate listening to Bill O'Reilly without going into a ragefit must be braindead or a zombie, this has been my conclusion thus far.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Aint this the TRUTH!!!

Watching Fox news and actually BELIEVING it is like evolving BACKWARDS!!!

edit on 23-11-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I get my current events from watching South Park

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
Aint this the TRUTH!!!

Watching Fox news and actually BELIEVING it is like evolving BACKWARDS!!!

edit on 23-11-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)
This is pretty much fact. Evolution is based on your environment, and if your perception of that environment is flawed your not going to evolve into a viable lifeform.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I normally watch Bloomberg. I tried watching Fox Business news and had to go back to Bloomberg after just a couple of minutes. Everything they talked about, they added their unique political twist to the story. Personally, I prefer unbiased reporting, I like to form my own opinion on a particular subject.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
Without looking at the stats, I can tell you why: Fox news isn't news as much as it's opinion.

But fox news portrays itself as a news station. The news they report on is the news that goes along with the narrative they push on their viewers.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
I get my current events from watching South Park

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by alonzo730
I normally watch Bloomberg. I tried watching Fox Business news and had to go back to Bloomberg after just a couple of minutes. Everything they talked about, they added their unique political twist to the story. Personally, I prefer unbiased reporting, I like to form my own opinion on a particular subject.

That makes two of us in ats that watch Bloomberg

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

It's good to see data that supports what we already knew...

And since Fox news gets a good portion of viewers in the MSM category, its influence has become a cancer that no amount of chemo can kill off.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I might post my creation here

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The Daily Show is a 'news source'?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Fox is no worse than any other msm.Its funny that all these morons love to chant "Fox Lies' as if the rest of the mainstream media is not biased (mostly to the left) .Did you ever think that there are alot of people that love everything Orielly and Hannity say?Ever think these people arent being brainwashed but are just a 'target audience' that already exists?Of course fox leans to the right.If you are outfoxed by watching it you are a moron.But I suspect most detractors havent seen much Fox at all.They just think its cool anf hip to bag it out.I watch it because it has the hottest chicks no contest.Fox is full of hot chicks.I also watch because you should know your enemy.I also read The Huffington Post for the same reason.MSN is the enemy,not Fox.But the biggest enemy are morons.Without morons MSN would have no power.
edit on 24-11-2011 by theovermensch because: typo
edit on 24-11-2011 by theovermensch because: (no reason given)
edit on 24-11-2011 by theovermensch because: ripped on morons a little more

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Fox News is to news as WWE is to professional sports.

In fact that's an insult to the WWE as they do still need athletic ability

Nothing resembling news comes out of Fox

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
There is no unbiased news stations or papers anymore.
They are entertainment and politically driven anymore.
For the average day citizen,this is the main source of news and the only info they get about what is going on around the world.
I am missing Walter Cronkite .
And if you start dissing W.C.,don't go there.I will throw Megyn Kelly in your face.
Which you could throw her on my face,just cause she is pretty hot,but not the news.
edit on 24-11-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Some guys are ok.I never saw much W.C.but I believe you.
Jim Lehrer seemed ok too.People cant just blame the media though.Most people are too busy or see it as futile to pay much attention I guess.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

That's because Fox News is a propaganda outlet. They put out whatever information suits their agenda, and ignore/attack whatever doesn't.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join