It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Playstation 3. to buy or not to buy that is the question (please help)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Whats up ya'll thanks in advance for takin time to read and comment. So here is my dilema I am a hardcore xbox 360 fan. However I am thinking it is about time to add a new system to my collection and the most enticeing one is the playstation 3. So I am asking those who own the system or have owned it. Would you recommend it? What are some of the pros and cons you have discovered for it and also if you recommend it any games that you would also recommend that I get? Agian thanks in advance

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Doesn't hurt to be able to play games on everything you can
Next stop is PC
, then there is never going back,
Cept your hardcore fav's,

I enjoy me some halo

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
6 of one, half dozen of the other, they're all pretty similar.
Nintendo has always had more cartoony graphics.
XBOX has the detailed shooter and RPG's that are geared more toward adults.
PlayStation is similar to the XBOX but I think is geared more toward the younger players.

That's just my 2 pennies take on them, been a gamer for 30 years.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Our PS3 just collects dust. We love our Xbox 360 and Wii. But we play most of our games on PC. It's really just up to what you want your console to be able to do. Right now our PS3 is basically just a fancy Blu-ray player/dust catcher. But maybe someone more tech savvy can give you better info lol.
ETA:
The games are pretty much the same and you can get most games for either console. I usually just had a playstation so I could get Final Fantasy games but now it looks like you are able to get those for Xbox too.
edit on 23-11-2011 by angrymomma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I own a PS3. My advice to you is to go for it. I've had my slim for a few years now and its never failed me. I recently bought a move controller and its much better than the wii controller.

There are so many games out there, but there are lots of games for the X-Box as well. My final bit of advice is this - I think that the PS3 will last longer than the other systems currently in the game, that developers will continue bringing out games for the console long after they have stopped making games for competing systems.

The PS3 had a very slow start and Sony deserved to be beaten by Microsoft but I think the PS3 will outlast its current rivals.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
the ps3 is a tool in my home, it plays my music plays my games, and plays my blu rays.. I can also play online for free...

duh, its a buy...

I link up my damn cell phone to it, to play my music on my 1000 wat stereo ...

Should not have to talk you into it...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

We don't have Xbox but we do have PS3 and PS4 is out sometime possibly next year. The only problem I've had with the PS2 and PS3 is the electrical cable/adapter so I strongly suggest you purchase an extra. I also had the same problem with Gamecube. One of my children prefers PC games.

All game consoles have their unique qualities, it's a matter of what you prefer and the type of games you play...and of course kids also want those special affects.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I think your view is backwards, XBOX caters more to children I think I don't see many when I play my PS3.... Ok on topic I say it can't hurt getting a PS3 it's got good exclusives, free online, built in blu ray, recharge controllers that don't require batteries, had built in wifi from day one...... It actually pays off in the long run, probably can pick one up for 150 on craigslist and 200 brand new on friday....

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
thanks for all the replies I gotta run off to work for now but I will check everything out when i get in around 4am. keep the oponions comin plz. and thanks to all

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
PROS:

PS3 is a lot cheaper than many Bluray players.

PS3 does not have the "Red Ring of Doom"

PS3 has Metal Gear Solid 4 Exclusively

PS3 has better Gun Shooter games like Time Crisis

PS3 matches the aesthetic look other digital equipment better than Xbox (It's smaller than Xbox too)

PS3 fully integrates with PSP (Xbox does not have an integrated portable platform)

PS3 does not require additional accessories to utilize Wifi networks

PS3 store has awesome Titles like MGS, FFVII, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears and special Japanese games

CONS:

PS3 is harder to Pirate games - you have to copy them to your hard disk, while Xbox you just load them as regular discs

No Gears of War on PS3

No Geometry Wars on PS3

More kids/noobs to kill are on Xbox Live

Achievements and the Gamer Score system feel more rewarding than PSN Trophies, yet are essentially the same thing

Some games are designed for Xbox, yet when are ported to PS3, they don't look as good (It also happens with PS3->Xbox too, example FFXIII)

I think the vibrator in the Xbox controller vibrates harder, but it's heavier and bigger

I have both actually haha

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I LOVE my PS3

Pros:

-blue-ray
-symmetrical controllers...ie: non-xbox off centered joystick stuff...(personal pref)
-NO SUBSCRIP to play online...(huge)
-God of War...
-God of War...
and
-God of War...
-graphics/FPS are very good

I've had my PS3 for over 3 years now and not one single hardware-software glitch...(knocks on wood)

Cons:

-i'll get back to you when I can think of one important enough to list

-

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Ps3 is the big boys system. I own all the latest systems and an awesome PC and do most of my gaming currently on the PC and 360. Now that being said, I play my 360 more than my PS3 as of late because i play MW3 with some family and friends and they only own a 360. I have MW and MW2 for PS3 and PC but family comes first
. The only exclusive game im looking forward to buying for the PS3 is FFX HD. I hate to say it since im a big Playstation fan, if you are not in it for the blueray, don't bother unless you really are interested in their few exclusives.

R5

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Ps3= Entertainment system.
360= Gaming console.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Not much of a gamer but the PS3 has been great - Red Dead Redemption was an incredible game to play through, among others

If you dare to venture in to a retail store tomorrow night or Friday morning, here's some deals on a new PS3, games included:

www.forbes.com...

160 GB PS3 and 2 games for $200 - not bad!
edit on 23-11-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I love my PS3, it does so much for me. It links up to PC's wirelessly and you can stream audio, video, and photos over and display it on the TV. Free online. I feel the games are decent, and not to many kids online.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
PS3.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Long time 360 guy here. Just got my PS3 4 months ago. I got a free Xbox when I bought a Laptop so I traded it straight up for PS3. I really like it. I like that the gaming network is free. I feel that the 360 network is overall a little better. But like many said above you get yourself a nice blu-ray player.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I would recommend it, because in the long run the PS3 will last longer and more games will still be coming out for it when the X-box 360 losses its steem which should be starting to happen some time next year.

But really it comes down to games or basically exclusive games for each system, if there is something that you want to play on the PS3 that you cant on the 360 I would say go for it. As a matter a fact i am thinking on getting a X-Box 360 again this coming "Black Friday" with all the sales going on it's really tempting. And all because I am a big Gears of War fan, and to tell you the truth I miss blowing people up in that game.

So ya dude it comes down to games really, the system is kind of irrelevant if it does not have games you want to play, however the PS3 is a do all system, and you can surf the net and play online games for free on it, even though surfing the net is limited in some ways at least compared to a PC. It's definitely the best blue ray player on the market for the money, and it has some pretty good exclusive games for it, and better yet upcoming exclusive games in the future for it.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Save your money. They'll be unveiling new consoles at next years E3. Rumor has it we may have a Xbox-720 before 2013, so maybe next x-mas. Playstation always comes out with its new console around the same time, as does Nintendo.
These systems are several years old now, so its a little late to get into a "new" one.

But if you NEED a new system here's my 2 cents (like JibbyJedi, I've been playing for 30 years):

I love my PS3. Best bluray player I've ever owned. I love the games God of War, Uncharted, Metal Gear 4, and the graphics are a bit better on a PS over an Xbox. Truth be told, I own both systems, but I haven't had my xbox plugged in in over a year. All I ever played on it (that was exclusive to xbox that is) was Gears of War.

Currently, I'm playing Battlefield 3 (which I hear has better graphics and less lag on the PS), and I'm about to trade in COD:MW3, becuase it's terrible. They've dropped the ball with that franchise. Maybe I'll get Skyrim or Uncharted 3 next. Anyway, it's up to you to decide. Go to Wiki and look up PS3 and see if the list of exclusives is enough to make you want it as a gaming platform, and remember you're also getting a top of the line Bluray player as a bonus.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
You can get a grate graphics card for aroudn the same price

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join