It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You better watch what your bumper sticker says, look what happened to this kid

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I think this is BS.

Its a freaking bumper sticker people.....hardly a call to kill the president

The referance as stated before was to our revolutionary war, I believe, when we got rid of another tryant named George.

Whats next?

The government coming to our doors because we put up a sign for someone else for president?

Oh wait that already happened right Watched By Them?

It is a sad state of affairs when someone is harassed for what is plainly just an Anti-Bush bumper sticker

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
If they started going back to the "tipsters" after each of these goose chases and fined them say $1000, people would think twice about reporting bumper stickers as terrorists.

Fining tipsters might scare them off from reporting anything. Its not the tipster's fault, its the secret service's. I mean they're suppose to distinguish which threats are real and aren't. We all have a duty to report suspicious activity, and the Secret Service is suppose to distinguish which might be real and which is just a prank. The world is a dangerous place and we can't tiptoe around national security, I'm for tattle taling all the way. Heres someting for thought:

A few weeks before Halloween of 2001, when there was all this hype over anthrax and such, a New Jersey citizen noticed a "foreign-looking" man buying $7,000 worth of candy.

$7,000. Thats a lot of treats. No one wants to get their house TP'd but c'mon.

So something in the clerk's brain--oh lets call it reason and the human instinct to survive--superseded his indoctrination in politically correct America to die than risk offending someone, and he dropped a dime. The candy bulk buyer was questioned and cleared by the FBI and sent on his way.

Look at the WW II posters, we used to be able to trust our citizens to be our eyes and ears. But then again, we used to have common sense, and hold it in some esteem. Political correctness is almost always the opposite of common sense. It's what has us pretending that Ray Charles with a "DEATH TO AMERICA" bumper sticker is as likely to try to assassinate the President as the guy with the bin Laden sun visor.

Im just saying its ok for neighbors to lookout for neighbors, and a postman passing along the fact that at 180 Maplewood, the seven addresses all named Mohammed are building "something" in their living room. If it turns out to be just a pole for strippers, then at least we know their perverts and not terrorists. If anyone's to blame here it's the Secret Service for not doing their job right. They're suppose to know which threats are real and which are benign. I mean its thinking a US citizen, white, teenager is as likely to try to murder the President as the foreign guy with a visa. It ridiculous.

[edit on 9/5/2004 by s13guy]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The SS shouldnt have even bothered, its a damn sticker. Now had it said outright "I WILL KILL GWB" then I could see reason to hassle the dude, but not for as vague a thing as that sticker said. I can only imagine what the SS would ask me if I had "F*** Bush" on a sticker on my car, I'd probably get a public execution.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by spud602
Food for thought.

My wife and I recently had a Vietnamese student stay with for his senior year in High School. One evening we were driving past a crowded intersection and noticed a man holding a large sign which said, " Bush, Incompetant and Dangerous". Our student was appalled and asked how long it takes the police to show up to get rid of the man and the sign.

Get it folks? Vietnam? Totaltarian regime? Does that scare anyone when we begin behaving like the Vietnamese government?

I can't wait until the Texas Taliban shows up to question me about my "WHO WOULD JESUS BOMB" bumper sticker.

"When faced with an Eddie Haskell the only thing to do is to punch him in the nose. "

Or in our case vote the bully out of office. Or march on DC with brickbats.

[edit on 5-9-2004 by spud602]

[edit on 5-9-2004 by spud602]

I gotta make me a "Who would Jesus bomb?" bumper sticker!!
It is great that you are hosting foreign exchange students. Keep up the good work.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Everyone should be cautious about their criticisms of the President to make sure that they do not cross the line.

Yeah, if your giving away state secrets. But otherwise, not having to watch what you say is why we love it here, or it should be. Having to "watch it" is what sucks about living under the Taliban or the KGB or the Stasis. Our problem with free speech in the U.S. is, we've taken away so much of it voluntarily through the enforced appropriateness of political correctness, that when a high official says "watch what you say", we think:

"So what?! Hell, watching what you say is what life in America is anyway, at least if you work in an office and want to stay married"

We need to desperately fight for free speech in wartime. Because people who get in trouble for what they say aren't necessarily wrong. The Smothers Brothers got thrown off the air in 1969 for saying the Vietnam War was immoral or un-winnable. By 1979 that was such an accepted mainstream opinion you'd have a hard time arguing the reverse-- although I have, and do.

We need more people, not less, to say out loud what others are thinking. We need raw honesty especially in an age where we cannot expect statesmanship. Government can be trusted less than ever to tell the truth, because they are owned more than ever by moneyed interests whose interest is money and not truth. The U.S. Government should be telling people things like conserve fuel, pay the full tax load, boycott diamonds--- but they don't, because they can't.

Ahh went a little off topic, but you get the idea

[edit on 9/5/2004 by s13guy]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Nice to see that the US is still the home of free speech and free expression. Seriously though, don't the itelligence services have anything better to do? Oh no I remember now, they make money bringing in drugs so they don't want to do anything about drug smuggling and they want another terror attack so they can declare martial law, so catching terrorists is out of the question.

So to pass their time they harass teenagers who have anti-Bush stickers. I surprised he wasn't charged with Thought-Crime.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
SO, is it out of line if I say ""He should be charged with TREASON, and sentenced to the GALLOWS"?

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Actually, only one British king, Charles I, was decapitated.

The feeling I get from this bumper stickers is Henry VIII, an extremely powerful monarch who executed those who disagreed with him - the phrase "Off with his head!" (or "Off with her head!" for two of his wives, Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard) is most often attached to him.

So I would see this bumper sticker as saying Bush is an absolute, corrupt monarch who discourages disagreement.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I think I should print up about a thousand or so of these stickers and pass them out on the street corner just to see what happens. Maybe I'll make the local news. Oh wait a second, I forgot I live in Texas. They have the death penalty here.

There was no reason for him to be contacted by the SS. It's just a sticker.

My brother in law was getting drunk at a bar back in 61 or 62 right after the attempted invasion at the Bay of Pigs where he was a part of the action. He was telling all his AF buddies he was going to kill JFK for having his friends get killed for nothing. They came and halled him away for a few days.

In this case it's just harrassment by the government because the guy was young and middle eastern. Even if the sticker would have been of Bush getting cornholed by OBL, that's still no reason for this kind of overboard response by the government.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
That is a sick thing to say.

If you were to have a death threat against your life, wouldn't you be concerned about whether it's true or not, or would you rather wait to have to defend it in which case you may end up losing it?

We as Americans should NEVER be afraid to criticize the president.

You're absolutely right here, that no Americans should be afraid to criticize any of our elected officials, for that is our right, but "OFF WITH HIS HEAD" is closer to a conspiracy to commit murder than objectional criticism.

THAT IS WHAT SEPARATES US FROM DICTATORS LIKE HITLER AND STALIN.

Since when is communicating death threats a good thing?

If you believe what you said Grady YOU are NO PATRIOT.

I wouldn't be surprised if Grady were to track you down and let you know how much of a patriot he is (no threat, just criticism here).

THEY CALL IT FREE SPEECH. NOT CAUTIOUS SPEECH.

ATS has a policy of what can and cannot be communicated on this site. Are you trying to say that they're not patriotic?

WORDS ARE NOT GUNS AND BULLETS.

Words, my friend, have started wars. Words have a lot more power than what you may take for granted.

[edit on 5/9/04 by Intelearthling]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
"Off with his head" is an expression associated mostly with the Queen in Alice in Wonderland. Is that where you are from? Perhaps it is a more serious phrase there.

Well if Grady chooses to track me down and attempt to do whatever, so be it. I suspect Grady is a more open minded person than you are Intelearthling, Ill risk it. Life is short, I am not young, If i am afraid to speak my mind at my age I am foolish. He probably realizes that waving a flag and EVEN carrying a firearm is not the DEEPEST aspect of being a patriot. The true patriot is one who stands up and speaks the truth as they see it, even when EVERYONE disagrees with them. Sometimes even at the risk of their own lives. The true patriot wants the country to be correct and truthful because that serves the country over the long run INFINITELY better. The question is NOT will you defend America, but do you LOVE America.

ATS has already permitted some pretty rude if honestly expressed opinions of mine. They are a private board, if they so choose they can ban me.

The Presidency, on the other hand, is a PUBLICLY ELECTED [well at least until the last election that is] official. He is ANSWERABLE TO ALL AMERICANS. That is not to say we should unnecessarily abuse or overwork him. [With GEORGE W. BUSH I have very little worry that HE is overworked, the way many WORKING Americans are.]

to repeat:
WE HAVE A CIVIL RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH, NOT JUST CAUTIOUS SPEECH.

WORDS ARE NOT GUNS OR BULLETS.

If someone had been making serious PLANS to execute the president that would be something to consider. As soon as they take a single action towards enacting those plans there is absolutely NO question that action is legal to take. [I say this even in light of the FACT that GEORGE W. BUSH has enacted policy that makes it acceptable to assassinate political leaders.]

THIS WAS A TOTAL WASTE OF TAX DOLLARS IN A TIME OF RECORD DEFICITS.

You sound like one more CREDIT CARD REPUBLICAN. Spending the good will of the world frivolously. Spending money of your children and grandchildren for your own cushy life. You probably believe in a God and religion for which there is no evidence.

I favor the skeptical banker type person, who ONLY extends credit where it seems to make sense, and not to a lot of pie in the sky ideas.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I think we need to give the terrorists a little more credit here.... Do you think Osama bin Laden rides through the sandy dunes holding a sign that says "I am Osoma Come Take Me Away?"

I dont think any terrorist or assasin would be stupid enough to "advertize"

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Get your anti-W stickers here

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Good Grief! I remember the tricky Dicky stickers, the ones of Jimmy Carter, the ones for EVERY president right up to Clinton. This is just sheer insanity that people could possibly be stopped for having a funny sticker on your car. Bumper stickers are satire. That's all.
This presidency is SOOOOO special that none of this is tolerated any more.

And what about the public Clinton bashing over the radio airwaves?
The most horrific things ever said about any human, I heard about him. By such notables as Limbaugh, Sean and the rest of them! (getting off the bumper sticker subject for a minute) This younger generation is TOO willing to give up rights we Americans have enjoyed for so many years. Just give it all up for George W. Bush. I cant beleive any of this is happening.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
Get your anti-W stickers here

Pisky, everytime I see your cute face it always makes me want to pick you up and toss you around

You make me laughhhhhhh

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   

If you were to have a death threat against your life, wouldn't you be concerned about whether it's true or not, or would you rather wait to have to defend it in which case you may end up losing it?

If 99.99999 % of people had death threats made against them you could be sure the SS would not be knocking at the perpretators door. I think most people would be concerned if there was a TRUE death threat made against them. But someone simpling coming along and saying "You Suck", which pretty much equates to this bumper sticker on the scale of seriousness...I don't think so.

You're absolutely right here, that no Americans should be afraid to criticize any of our elected officials, for that is our right, but "OFF WITH HIS HEAD" is closer to a conspiracy to commit murder than objectional criticism.

Bull.
#.

No offense.

Words, my friend, have started wars. Words have a lot more power than what you may take for granted.

This may be true but I think you are forgetting something. Words can also be IGNORED. Isn't this what all children in school are taught to do when confronted with constant tormenting by the school bully ?

This idea that we all are supposed to play "Thought police" and sniff out our neighbors every minute business makes me want to find an island somewhere away from PEOPLE. The idea of creating tattletales out of the general public literally makes me cringe. I think those neighbors not only should be fined for wasting tax dollars and creating a trauma in this mans life, but they should be publically stoned as well. I'm sure the man would wholeheartedly agree.

At the very least their names should be made public so they could be shamed and derided everywhere they go.

I hold no empathy or sympathy for the snitches of the world, I'm afraid.

I would honestly hate to have you as my neighbor, friend. If you ever did anything like that because of a bumper sticker I would choose to have on my car I would have serious words with you in no uncertain terms expressing to your face to stay out of my business, let alone my thoughts.

XL5

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I think all people who call the cops/FBI or what ever should have to write (not type) a 500-1000word letter of thier reasoning behind the call. If there is no logical reason (it offends me or its ugly) and the person is clean of a more damaging crime, then a written apology of 500 words to the people they called, the person who got ratted and the taxpayers.

Maybe that would make them think about the other people's freedom before and after they choose to rat people out for being different!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join