It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy is NOT all a bunch of "lazy hippies," and "unemployed bums"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I am so tired of the haters that are quick to tear into the occupy movement. I understand that there are some participants that are looking for a free lunch but the movement did not get started to support that opinion.

This video clearly points out what the problem is:

For those who say the occupy movement does not have a clear agenda, let me provide a link to the 99%Declaration: sites.google.com...

After the recent 60 Minutes program exposing the insider trading our "representatives" get to participate in, legally... after the numerous venn diagrams that have been posted here on ATS this week showing the revolving door that exists between government and the large corporations... after the pillaging of the US Treasury to underwrite the gambling losses of the banks, that anyone continues to turn a blind eye absolutely infuriates me.

It is decades of complacency that got us here. What prompted me to post this was reading someone's reply to a posting that Occupy plans to protest at retail establishments on black friday. They were busy defending wall street, talking about how important it was for their investments and their retirement, more concerned that the occupy movement might cause harm to the retailers resulting in the loss of jobs. What that particular poster doesn't understand is that those retail jobs that might be lost pay a sub-standard wage, offers no benefits, no security, etc. What the Occupy movement is trying to do is bring back some of the better paying manufacturing jobs and stop the dismantling of our country by getting the corporations out of our government.

Why do so many refuse to see that it is a fiat world that we live in and we are being sold a lie. The only reason everything hasn't collapsed already is because the governments of the world have decided collectively to continue to pretend we live in a make believe world... they can continue to make us believe that we have control of our futures.

I am ashamed to admit, I have not been to any of the Occupy demonstrations. However, I give mad props to those that have and continue to. While they may not get it completely right, at least they're doing something. No one trying to assemble these rallies really has any practice at what they're doing, after all, it's been over 200 years since there's been a revolution in our country.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
some of us are intelligent enough not to blindly follow fools and idiots who arent bright enough to realise they're nothing more than pawns.

nor do we need others to speak for us - we speak for ourselves and live life on our terms not the terms of others.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Thats just what the SNAKES and SHILLS have been spewing in attempts to make the movement look negative.

The movement contains folks of all colors, origins, and status coming together to voice their dislike of CORRUPT, GREEDY SNAKES raping us and ruining this country for us and our children.

A movement consisting of good and decent people, looking for the BS to end.

Not to mention MANY, MANY of our fine VETERANS are there. Havent seen a "hippie" yet, but I see MANY MANY veterans there.

Dont believe the SNAKES and SHILLS who want business as usual. THEIR under-handed business as usual that does nothing but RUIN the peoples lives and CRUSHES our children's futures.

edit on 23-11-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

Originally posted by Scalded Frog
For those who say the occupy movement does not have a clear agenda, let me provide a link to the 99%Declaration: sites.google.com...

They better change it to the 98.999999680163% (or less) because I'm not on board with many of these ideas, nor am I in the other 1%.

I think the movement needs to pare down its list and focus on just a few key points.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
"HIPPIE"
What is wrong with being a hippie, they were fighting this # years ago. Thats why the MSM labeled them with this word. What was it the hippies wanted? ah now I remember - Peace and Love.

But they're DRUGGIES!!!
Actualy most of them dont do drugs, they eat organic and they respect the planet

Well they look weird and they got long hair!!!
Thats because they dont waste their money or their time being guided by the MSM.

Well...um....their must be something wrong with them or I wouldn't hate them so much.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I have to admit I did not watch the video you posted, I may later but I doubt that I will.

The reason is because anyone who doesn't jump on the OWS bandwagon is labeled a pawn, an idiot, blind, ignorant, etc. The minute I change my mind and decide to back ows,(which isn't going to happen), I will be accepted without question.

Everything that I have experienced with the occupy movement is just angry venomous rhetoric and it's nothing new, it just has a new face. There was a time early on when this movement had a chance, but they blew that chance. From what I gather things will get worse for occupy as the holiday season approaches. This "occupy black Friday" or whatever you want to call it is a bad idea. Just wait and see.....

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kellerphoenix

First off to the OP, thank-you for sharing. S+F Mr.Black is brilliant.

The video takes place at an Occupy location, that doesn't make it Pro-Occupy propaganda. It's not even about Occupy and every american could benefit from the knowledge on the financial collapse that William K Black gives. This was done at a Teach In session, aren't any of you curious what is being taught to Occupiers at these Teach Ins?

Black was a central figure in exposing Congressional corruption during the Savings and Loan Crisis. He took the notes during the Keating Five meeting that were later published in the press, and brought the event to national attention and a congressional investigation.

According to Bill Moyers,

"The former Director of the Institute for Fraud Prevention now teaches Economics and Law at the University of Missouri, Kansas City. During the savings and loan crisis, it was Black who accused then-house speaker Jim Wright and five US Senators, including John Glenn and John McCain, of doing favors for the S&L's in exchange for contributions and other perks. The senators got off with a slap on the wrist, but so enraged was one of those bankers, Charles Keating — after whom the senate's so-called "Keating Five" were named — he sent a memo that read, in part, 'get Black — kill him dead.' Metaphorically, of course. Of course."[4]

wikipedia.org

ETA: He also lays some very significant blame at Obama's feet (For those of you convinced that Obama is left untouched in our grievences).
edit on 23-11-2011 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Ok we know there are some lazy employed people who dn't go to work to join the protest and there are some unemployed people who aren't bums but they are te minority if you watch the news.

I haven't been down to look at one anywhere I've been because I'm too busy making money for my family and paying taxes as appropriate that provides my families healthcare and services. I don't have a normal job, I created one, well two actually.

But for those that have nothing to do it gives them a reason to get up I suppose. When at war people say how terrible it is and they woudln't wish anyone to be there. When there is violence at a protest, which there invariably will be, they moan saying they were there peacefully. (yeah, as if they believed it woul stay that way.?

I can't get hurt, I not there. Best way to stay out of trouble is to stay away from trouble.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I think it's time to put another action in place! I told my wife the other day we a walkopy America gaining strength in numbers all the way to Washington, since they can only see numbers. Keep the occupiers where they are, and If we could get at least 500,000 people to setup at Washington, they'll clearly see that the 99% does out number them all.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
My problem with OWS is that they think there fighting "The Man" that all cops have no feelings or family and they are trained in a secret masonic ninja bunker in a volcano where obama is building nazi ufos.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Amen

It is so foolish for people to presume so, its also really shortsighted and anti progress in my opinion. Nice one with the thread

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by godofme
My problem with OWS is that they think there fighting "The Man" that all cops have no feelings or family and they are trained in a secret masonic ninja bunker in a volcano where obama is building nazi ufos.

Sources please?

I know you're being sarcastic although it appears to have some harsher underlying significance, a mod made a thread about this kinda stuff, you should adhere to it.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I do not think people are "labeling" those who don't jump on the OWS bandwagon as "shills," etc...I think the majority of people with common-sense are saying the "shills" are the ones who not only don't jump on the bandwagon, but are openly criticizing the movement for a reason none other than they believe the protesters are lazy freeloaders.

THAT is the truth, and I don't think the majority is saying anything differently. For those of you who didn't watch the video, it YOUR loss, because this man puts it into perspective. He shows EXACTLY what the movement is about, and what the protesters are fighting against, and how they want what the Founders of this country gave them. It was taken from them, illegally, long ago.

There is nothing more to even add to what this man has said. I think the way he opened was perfect. 1,000 criminals. Good job.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I can't speak to them as people, as I've seen a wide variety while passing by the one in Providence and on TV, I can, however, say that they really seem to be wasting their time.

The type of pie in the sky ideas of some (or many) sound really good, are often terribly impractical, not realistic, and approached the wrong way. There are some very easy ways to fix the problems, economic or otherwise, that we have but an education as to why this is happening would be a good idea first.

Here's the steps I recommend to most people as first recommended by Michael Badnarik:

1) Protect your property.
2) Get educated
3) Take action

By skipping around in the steps many people expose themselves. But long story short, this is a liberal movement with slight conservative tones.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

What I find funny is that this movement is going out there protesting problems in finance and the government and asking for fixes to this, yet they have their own problems they cannot solve within the movement.

If you cannot fix the movement what makes you think the government can fix the finance sector? Did you ever stop to think the finance sector is fixing the government and your little protest is helping them?

In BC today, the police union asked judges to consider jail time for people who wear masks at unlawful protests. Judges are considering orders to pro-actively reduce the impact of these protests.

Don't you morons see? Your helping the government enact more controls on the people due to your direct actions. Yes you're changing things, that I will admit, but not for the better.

Stand-down and find a better way, OWS is NOT working.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scalded Frog
I am so tired of the haters that are quick to tear into the occupy movement.

Not being in favor of the OWS bunch doesn't make someone a 'hater'.

That word is commonly thrown around this place by people who have no way to back up their own position.
It's a favorite word-tool for some people here ... overused .... untrue ... meaningless.

Most people here who are against the OWS situation weren't 'quick' to come to that conclusion. If you read the ATS thread OWS - Has ATS Changed Your Opinion , you'll see that many of us who now are against the OWS really started out for it but the PROTESTORS THEMSELVES changed our minds. Their behavior .. their rants ... their incoherence ... their lack of direction ... their anti-american sentiments .... using their children as human shields (DC) .... the drug use ... the demands for a free ride .... the poop'n and pee'n everywhere that has lead to very unsanitary conditions in the public parks/places they are squatting in ... That, and we found out who/what is backing OWS ... big $$ and big politics and groups like Communist in America.

Those are just the facts. Well documented.

edited to add ... some of the protesters craack me up. They sit there protesting wall street and big business and bailouts ... but then add '4 more years' or 'yes we can' or 'vote for Obama'. :shk: Obama gets big donation money from Wall Street and he bailed them out ... but they are going to vote for him anyways because he's so far left he's just gotta' be good, right?
Honestly, a bunch of 'em seem really clueless.
edit on 11/24/2011 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

F&S to the Scalded Frog. Great video that IMO, pretty much spells out the scale of the problems we face here in America today. I've wondered for years just what is was going to take wake americans up to the fraud being perpetuated upon them by the wealthy elite for generations. I for one, am glad to see the OWS movement take shape and grow. I support the movement completely, or at least 99% of it.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

There's an AM station I listen to frequently when I'm in the car (KFI 640AM). I've been listening to them for many years because they usually seemed to be aligned against the wasteful spending and idiotic behavior of local, State and National politicians and agencies. They reported on a lot of corruption cases that you'll never hear in the local news until these cases are full blown and too large to ignore. However lately I find myself turning down the volume, because I can't take the drivel anymore. They are currently referring to the Occupy L.A. movement as the "Occupoo" movement. They constantly talk about how bad it smells down there, disease is spreading, and how the "occupooers" are harassing local businesses. They spent about five minutes supporting the idea of the occupy movement, and then went right back to mocking it and making it seem as though only the dirty, homeless, jobless hippies are trying to get a free ride.

In all honesty I think people should be marching instead of living on the front lawn of some of these cities, but beggars can't be choosers. In other words I'm glad there's people out there willing to make a stand for those of us who can't be there, marching every day until something is done. To expand on that, I'd also like to add that I disagree with some of the things that some occupiers want to accomplish, but over all it's clear people are just sick and tired of the corruption, and they want to see the corporate and Government criminals punished for their wrong-doing, the way any of us regular people would be if we had done the same thing.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

For me, a "hater" is anyone who stands on the sidelines and criticizes without offering any solutions. It's easy to be a critic. Most that criticize the movement are painting with a broad brush, throwing all of occupy under the bus because there are some free-loaders showing up.

It has literally taken decades of people hoping the right person will get elected and change the course we are currently on to get where we are. Obviously, what we have been doing hasn't worked so, to continue to do the same thing over and over and expect a different outcome seems truly insane.

If you are not happy with the direction the movement is taking, maybe you should start your own or participate and try to change the direction of the movement.

I'm not necessarily a big fan of how things are going with occupy but I am THRILLED that there are some Americans that are fed up enough to protest.

Personally, I just can't believe that waiting to vote for the next representative that TPTB approves for election will effect any change.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
some of us are intelligent enough not to blindly follow fools and idiots who arent bright enough to realise they're nothing more than pawns.

nor do we need others to speak for us - we speak for ourselves and live life on our terms not the terms of others.

so does this mean you are for or against OWS?

2nd

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join